Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Down time" in RPG's

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Replenishing ammo stock in Kuldahar, identifying new items while you hear that music, strange birds and that bigass oak narling/moving. Awesome. :love:

Oh yeah. Kuldahar was perfect. What added to it was the impression that it's a warm, safe haven in a sea of ice, snow and darkness. And that music...

I also liked to hang out in Lonelywood in Heart of Winter, which also had an amazing theme

For completeness sake, let's not forget about the Easthaven theme. I loved exploring that town, the sound of crunching snow on a sunny day under the boots of my party, speaking with Hrothgar, buying my first gear, making preparations.
Fuck, Icewind Dale was atmospheric as hell...

Last edited:

hiver

I think ive spent more time jump-climbing every single mountain peak and then standing there, letting the camera pull back and start spinning, watching the lands of Skyrim wreathed in snow or under curtains of aurora borealis while dragons drifted through the air in the distance, calling, announcing to the world they are back, then playing those stupid quests.

probably not - actually, but it sure feels that way.

Such a shame the game is such a stupid, shallow, hollow crap otherwise, precisely because of this.

I LOVED the tv and radio implementation in Bloodlines. Great merging of casual ambience with narrative function. That game had a lot of 'stop and pause' bits in it, largely due to the way it divided up the mini-hubs (Anarchists' bar, LaCroix's office, Tourrette's club, Hollywood baron etc) while giving those hubs great atmosphere. It also hit a good balance between having reason to return to places (including, but certainly not limited to, your apartment) without making it feel like a chore.

The one additional thing I would have liked would have been an activity in the various bars you tend to find in those mini-hubs. Originally Troika were hoping to have emulated arcade classics playable in the arcade parlour at the pier. A better idea would have been to spread those arcade games out over the various bars and clubs in the gameworld.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
even if that borders on LARPing
Dude, that's pure LARP. The game in which I did it the most was probably Daggerfall. Visiting towns, entering random houses, talking to sexy chicks in taverns, practicing magic, arranging unique items in my house...

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Ahh yes. Khorinis, Beregost, Easthaven, Vivec or anywhere in Morrowind really. New Vegas too. But Khorinis just had “something”, even with the poor Ai paths and schedules…

And Tarant. And anywhere in Torment.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The Elder Scrolls series are games based almost entirely around downtime. :troll:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I get very frustrated when there is downtime "by design" especially when there's no trade-offs involved.

One thing I liked about Fire Emblem 7 (or was it 6?) was that they had a shopping map, but it had a turn limit after which your score would start falling. I think this was good design.

This doesn't mean I don't like a pause feature in real time games. I like pause features.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I like games with good pacing.

The Village of Hommlet was by far one of my favorite AD&D modules. That has a lot to do with my willingness not to just skip over all the boring FedEx quests in the town while playing ToEE.
That makes sense then, I can see how somebody who played the module might enjoy to see the Hommlet map and npcs implemented almost 1:1, even if for just a few minutes before the nostalgia wears off and they realize that actually needing to navigating around it is a pain in the ass, specially with ToEE's pathfinding.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
To me down time is for between adventures. Wasting time while being on an urgent quest should be punished.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I love management downtime. Give me characters to plan and customize, bases to manage, resources to spend, and I'm perfectly content. If there's good music and a pretty backdrop or UI dressing to go along with it, then it's even better.

I've never been able to sit in environments and soak them up while doing nothing, though, no matter how well made they are.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Someone will probably come up with contrary examples but I generally associate minimal down time with linearity.

Kitako

Arcane
The widespread mentality of "GOGOGOGO" and stats like "xp per hour" is what killed WOW for me.
Now I just stick to single player games, where I can LARP play at my own pace with my own downtimes.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like downtime, but not when it's non-interactive. Hanging around in a lifeless town where you can just look at the scenery is kinda spooky and lonely. But in games like Gothic and TES where you can interact with all the NPCs and even the environment it's nice. I may not LARP I'm some villager and do menial shit like sit down for morning breakfast, but the ability to do so is nice anyway and gives the game world more feeling. And it's nice to just chill and enjoy sometimes especially when it's a difficult game.

Fake edit: Back in the day when I played EQ with my buddy we'd spend days upon days just exploring the vast towns, hanging out and talking with random people and guildies without even thinking about leveling up or getting new loot. When WoW came about and I went over to play that game with a bunch of different friends and they'd just rush through all the content. Didn't even give me time to read the quest descriptions or enjoy some of the nice scenery Blizz had put together. It was just a hamster race to the top.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
In retrospect, maybe 80% of Ultima VII was "downtime". Lots of cities with people to talk to, stuff to do that didn't get you xps or advance the story (Petersons mistress) but just provided entertainment. That little fair with the strength test, and all kinds of stuff. That was one of the reasons why I wasn't as fond of U7:SI. Once the banes are released, all the magic is kind of gone from the cities, even if everyone was kind of an asshole.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
In retrospect, maybe 80% of Ultima VII was "downtime". Lots of cities with people to talk to, stuff to do that didn't get you xps or advance the story (Petersons mistress) but just provided entertainment. That little fair with the strength test, and all kinds of stuff. That was one of the reasons why I wasn't as fond of U7:SI. Once the banes are released, all the magic is kind of gone from the cities, even if everyone was kind of an asshole.
In the case of Ultima VII I dont' think you can call it "downtime".

It's too active. Too amusing. It appeals to curiosity and creativity. This is in stark opposition to some weird need for escapism.

It's not passive like "enjoying the atmosphere" or whatever was talked about in 99% of the other cases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom