Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

_

Say, why you guys are so willing to give O'neil and Carter a slap on the wrist?

I think that after all this shit, its time for the General to show some autoritah 'round these parts.
O'neill is probably Coup Threat Number One, but he's a loyal guy who knows the rules, so I think its safe to assume O'neill knows to man up and assume he fucked up.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Say, why you guys are so willing to give O'neil and Carter a slap on the wrist?
Because they have no understanding of the situation and just want to "ship" two characters that, CAN GET MARRIED IN A3 ANYWAY!!!

Demoting O'Neill is a really important step to take. His rank makes him a potential threat and Makepeace is generally friendlier to getting things done without whinging about muh morals, which we kind of need in this LP the way things have gone. O'Neill is a military man and will probably understand and accept the order. He will still be the highest ranking member of SG1.

O'Neill just cannot handle the responsibilities of his rank at the moment. He almost broke after the first Crom mission. Being a lower rank will free him up psychologically by allowing him to shut up and follow orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know from the show that O'Neill is capable and trustworthyish

But he fucked up, bad. You don't fraternize with the troops, period. He knows this.

We can't "caress his head", if you will, just because he has star power.

Earth got nuked and discipline has fallen apart. Wallesy just survived a coup attempt and there was an officer making pretty eyes at us the other day.
Walllesy needs to enforce some hardcore MILITARY DISCIPLINE, and now. Otherwise, the troops will start doing all sorts of shit and getting away with it.

If the troops want to get some, they should go have fun in Alpha Site or something.

hello friend

Arcane
Nah, I agree he should be demoted - although I'm not changing my vote. That being said, it is important to remember that these are special circumstances, many exceptions will have to be made to standard procedure. Sometimes a firmer hand than is customary, other times more lax. The military was a career, but now with humanity under threat only a coward would deenlist - people are now effectively locked into serving the needs of humanity regardless of their own wishes and desires. Desertion is not permitted, and civilians may not always be accorded the full complement of rights they are used to. As such, we must navigate the tightrope between being ineffectual and being a tyrant. Too harsh, and there will be a coup, no matter how strict the discipline. Too lax, and mistakes will be made, people will die, and there'll probably also be a coup because a strong leader is required.

The Brazilian Slaughter I'm getting the feeling from the sum of your posts ITT that you want to rush into an airtight fascism. That would be a mistake, I think. We're walking in a minefield.

Aw, shit. I'm changing my vote after all. O'Neall is setting a bad example for the others.

Lambchop19's A3

The Brazilian Slaughter I'm getting the feeling from the sum of your posts ITT that you want to rush into an airtight fascism. That would be a mistake, I think. We're walking in a minefield.

SALUTE AL GENERALISSIMO! HEIL WALLESY! HEIL WALLESY!

Lol nigga you haven't seen me go full fascist yet. I actually alerted people that we could't go "Full Fascist", at least not yet.

I would like a bit more margin of moral action, through.

The military was a career, but now with humanity under threat only a coward would deenlist - people are now effectively locked into serving the needs of humanity regardless of their own wishes and desires. Desertion is not permitted, and civilians may not always be accorded the full complement of rights they are used to.

I probably found the concept of the military as a career a bit strange, because I live in a conscription country, so military service is obligatory patriotic duty.

Are you telling me that, due to the attack, the soldiers are in effect married to their jobs and are not restless because there is no more "back at home" they fight for?

hello friend

Arcane
I mean as their service is no longer fully voluntary, we're no longer just running a military, we're effectively running a nation. Martial law is in effect, but we need to be careful about managing dissent, and make full use of both the carrot and the stick. If we only use the stick I think we will have a bad time.

Word came in that the Natives in the Land of Light had risen up against the resettled Tau'ri. As it turned out, mixing 13,000 ragged and starving earthlings into a primitive society was enough to collapse the social order. The natives had attacked with spears and inflicted considerable carnage but about one in fifteen of the Americans had a gun and their retaliation soon spiraled into a bloody, disordered and hysterical revenge during which they depleted an uncertain amount of their ammunition. Meanwhile, the surviving natives summoned their warrior allies from farther afield in preparation for greater bloodshed.
You see this? All they needed was more numbers. This is why we should have sent all 40k there.

Our boys made a go of it regardless, but I warned you all that splitting them was a worst of all worlds option with all of the negatives, but none of the positives.

Crom has hostages and we just screwed our relationship with Land Of Light into the dirt for nothing.

Great. Job. Team.

A1 - O'Neill is mad and I don't fancy sending him to a wintery hell where he can get even more enraged at us and make an alliance with the barbarians to take the SGC.
B4 (Jackson) - I guess we do have their prisoners. Maybe they wish an exchange?
C2 - What's done is done and our relationship with Land of Light is screwed. Blood has been spilled and that will not be forgiven. Time to take over the planet - which, frankly, we should have done a long time ago if we hadn't been forced to deal with all the refugee drama.

A2 - I think some time fighting Barbarians on Crom is exactly what O'neill needs. O'neill is a man of action, not a desk-jockey.

B4 - Let's talk with the Barbarians. Its about damn time these people started talking. We are talking from a position of strength, and they know that we just wasted one of their tribes like it was no thang. 13k barbarians vs soldiers with mortars, machineguns and entrechments on a fort with Stargate access? The only thing I fear is our men running out of ammunition. We got prisioners, they got prisioners, we got guns and they don't. Let's deal. Could be persuaded to change to B1 because I have no idea if they're bringing the hostages to deal or to kill them as a morale-decreasing sacrifice.

C2 - If the natives didn't like our people going in, they should have talked to us, not tried to attack them like dumbfucks. We can negotiate from a position of strength after we beat their asses, its what these primitives understand best I guess - power, strength.

Crom has hostages and we just screwed our relationship with Land Of Light into the dirt for nothing.

The only difference if we sent more people to Land of Light, is that the revolt would have happened earlier and our guys would have done better. There would still have been a revolt. I do admit sending them to Crom was a mistake, I thought I had said to send to Mining Planet instead of Crom but I think I forgot to post it

A2 - I think some time fighting Barbarians on Crom is exactly what O'neill needs. O'neill is a man of action, not a desk-jockey.
I don't discount this idea either btw. It was tough for me to pick between the two options.
The only difference if we sent more people to Land of Light, is that the revolt would have happened earlier and our guys would have done better.
Yes, and that's the point. With only 13k, they were able to make them cry out to their allies for assistance. With 40k, they would have conquered them.

Refugees welcome. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom