Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Age 2 103 Min. Cutscene Endurance Test

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Fans of awkward, overwrought BioWarian cutscenes <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-25-dragon-age-2-has-103-mins-of-cutscenes" target="_blank">are in luck</a>.</p>
<blockquote>BioWare fantasy role-playing game Dragon Age 2 has a whopping 103 minutes of cutscenes.<br /><br />The impressive figure was revealed by the BBFC, which has given the game its expected 18-rating certificate for "strong bloody violence".<br /><br />Dragon Age 2's 103 minutes of cutscenes eclipses Killzone 3's 70 minutes worth, revealed by the BBFC earlier this month.</blockquote>
<p><br /><em>Thanks to jdaubenb</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

DraQ

Arcane
I don't *play* *games* to *watch* *cutscenes*. That's what *movies* are for - they are huge lengthy cutscenes from the beginning to the end.

Sure it might be useful to show something using a cutscene, or to use a cutscene to reward player, but if you find yourself making an interactive movie all of the sudden when you have thought you were making an RPG, you're doing it wrong.

aries202

Erudite
So there is 103 minutes of cutscenes in an rpg game which maybe more than 60 hours, and that is 60X60=3600 minutes of gameplay. Not surprising it is, I find.

Angthoron

Arcane
Only 103 minutes? Screw it, not buying it. I wanted a cinematic experience, if I wanted some lame crap I'd play Pacman or something.

Saxon1974

Prophet
This is why I pay no attention to bioware games anymore. For dragons age 3 it will be a blu ray movie that goes straight to video

Sign of the times I guess. Todays kids want things done for them

DraQ

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
This is why I pay no attention to bioware games anymore. For dragons age 3 it will be a blu ray movie that goes straight to video

Sign of the times I guess. Todays kids want things done for them
I would gleefully relieve them of the burden of having to an hero themselves.
:smug:

torpid

Liturgist
Does anyone know the length of Mass Effect's cutscenes, to get a frame of reference? They're the only Bio games I've played since BGII (pats self on back).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
intro slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene the end

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DA2 release

RPG OF THE MILLENIUM 11/10

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH BEST RPG EVEAAAAAAAR

(ME 3 release date)

(Skyrimrelease date)

Angthoron

Arcane
Isn't it good that all the new games are so wonderful? Truly we live in the golden age.

Raapys

Arcane
Good point Konjad. How are the review sites going to decide which cock to suck( the most)?

Though I'm betting Gameinformer is going to rank Skyrim higher than DA2 and ME3.

FatCat

Educated
The Witcher 2

• There will be 256 cutscenes in TW2 of overall length about 150 minutes (TW1 – 130 cutscenes / 53 minutes) :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DraQ said:
I don't *play* *games* to *watch* *cutscenes*. That's what *movies* are for - they are huge lengthy cutscenes from the beginning to the end.

Sure it might be useful to show something using a cutscene, or to use a cutscene to reward player, but if you find yourself making an interactive movie all of the sudden when you have thought you were making an RPG, you're doing it wrong.

Exactly. I remember in ye olden days, it would be like a reward to see a cutscene after achieving something in the game after many hours, something to look forward to. It should be used for major exposition, not every couple of minutes like in ME2 where it was irritating as fuck considering that each mission was about 10-15 minutes long and still broken up by constant cutscene interruptions!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You bastard. I thought It would have 103 minutes long sequence preferably as intro. Now you are saying all custcenes would have only 103 minutes.

Xenosaga has 8 hours of cutscenes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not even 2 hours for a game that will likely be 40+ hours is peanuts. Wut's the cryin' aboot, again?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And the rest is boring ill-designed filler combat, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom