Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Dragon Age 2 103 Min. Cutscene Endurance Test

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Jason, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Fans of awkward, overwrought BioWarian cutscenes <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-25-dragon-age-2-has-103-mins-of-cutscenes" target="_blank">are in luck</a>.</p>
    <blockquote>BioWare fantasy role-playing game Dragon Age 2 has a whopping 103 minutes of cutscenes.<br /><br />The impressive figure was revealed by the BBFC, which has given the game its expected 18-rating certificate for "strong bloody violence".<br /><br />Dragon Age 2's 103 minutes of cutscenes eclipses Killzone 3's 70 minutes worth, revealed by the BBFC earlier this month.</blockquote>
    <p><br /><em>Thanks to jdaubenb</em></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

^ Top  
  2. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    *shrug*

^ Top  
  3. MessiahMan Cipher Patron

MessiahMan
    Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    A couple hundred more minutes, and they'll be catching up to to the Metal Gear series.

^ Top  
  4. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I don't *play* *games* to *watch* *cutscenes*. That's what *movies* are for - they are huge lengthy cutscenes from the beginning to the end.

Sure it might be useful to show something using a cutscene, or to use a cutscene to reward player, but if you find yourself making an interactive movie all of the sudden when you have thought you were making an RPG, you're doing it wrong.

^ Top  
  5. aries202 Erudite

aries202
    So there is 103 minutes of cutscenes in an rpg game which maybe more than 60 hours, and that is 60X60=3600 minutes of gameplay. Not surprising it is, I find.

^ Top  
  6. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Only 103 minutes? Screw it, not buying it. I wanted a cinematic experience, if I wanted some lame crap I'd play Pacman or something.

^ Top  
  7. made Arcane

made
    Not supporting GamerDad anymore? How come?

^ Top  
  8. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    I'm eager to play watch DA2!!!

^ Top  
  9. pipka Savant

pipka
    Hurr Durr µurr.
    :retarded:

^ Top  
  10. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Why? There are too many people already.*

*)
    :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  11. Saxon1974 Prophet

Saxon1974
    This is why I pay no attention to bioware games anymore. For dragons age 3 it will be a blu ray movie that goes straight to video

Sign of the times I guess. Todays kids want things done for them

^ Top  
  12. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I would gleefully relieve them of the burden of having to an hero themselves.
    :smug:

^ Top  
  13. haptsonir Novice

haptsonir
    Impressive.

^ Top  
  14. torpid Liturgist

torpid
    Does anyone know the length of Mass Effect's cutscenes, to get a frame of reference? They're the only Bio games I've played since BGII (pats self on back).

^ Top  
  15. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Strap Yourselves In Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    intro slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene slash slash slash slash cutscene the end

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Isn't it good that all the new games are so wonderful? Truly we live in the golden age.

^ Top  
  17. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    RPG = Railroaded Passive Game.

^ Top  
  18. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    Good point Konjad. How are the review sites going to decide which cock to suck( the most)?

Though I'm betting Gameinformer is going to rank Skyrim higher than DA2 and ME3.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    :lol: :salute:

^ Top  
  20. FatCat Educated

FatCat
    The Witcher 2

• There will be 256 cutscenes in TW2 of overall length about 150 minutes (TW1 – 130 cutscenes / 53 minutes) :smug:

^ Top  
  21. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Exactly. I remember in ye olden days, it would be like a reward to see a cutscene after achieving something in the game after many hours, something to look forward to. It should be used for major exposition, not every couple of minutes like in ME2 where it was irritating as fuck considering that each mission was about 10-15 minutes long and still broken up by constant cutscene interruptions!

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. bgillisp Scholar

bgillisp
    Only 257 more minutes to go to be equal to Wing Commander 4 then!

^ Top  
  23. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    Ah, WCIV. Never finished it. Should get back to it sometime.

^ Top  
  24. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    You bastard. I thought It would have 103 minutes long sequence preferably as intro. Now you are saying all custcenes would have only 103 minutes.

Xenosaga has 8 hours of cutscenes.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.