Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age Dragon Age 2 was released ten years ago

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Camel, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    They tried to make a Witcher-esque storyline, where neither side is truly good. What they made is a story, where both sides are irredeemably evil, and you don't feel like investing yourself in the story, because there's no sympathetic characters, no one to root for. In the Witcher, you might not like the Order and humans, but you'll probably like Siegfried. DA2 had no one like Siegfried - no one it doesn't kill off in order to fuel the "compromise is literally impossible" narrative. At one point of the game, a third side of the conflict briefly emerges, and you're briefly led to believe that they might be a sane alternative, but then you find out they kidnapped your loved ones and are also composed of insane blood mages.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Orud Learned Patron

Orud
    Strap Yourselves In
    At least they did the proper thing in DA:I and merely stated that DA 2's entire location just blew up, dropped off a cliff and/or floated off into space.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • incline incline x 2
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    What does a rabbit Codexian say when he eats his own shit plays a new BioWare game?

Show Spoiler

"Just this last one, it's fresh."

• consume product consume product x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Little did people know that the worst was yet to come.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tavar Arbiter Patron

Tavar
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    While the level recycling and the wave combat was annoying, I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed playing Dragen Age II back in the day. It felt much more focused than Origins which has no respect for your time and often bogs you down in tedious, boring combat (looking at you, deep roads). I can totally understand why so many people hate part II, though.

• retadred x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Limiting the player to a single city and its outskirts, and seeing it change over time as the player goes from poor immigrant to renowned hero was a really nice concept, even if the execution left a lot to be desired.

It was certainly more interesting than the tired "save the world" story in your typical Bioware game. I wouldn't mind seeing another studio take a crack at the concept. Mankind Divided already kinda did with Prague (a single location changing over time, not the rags to riches part).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. BarbequeMasta Learned

BarbequeMasta
    I think DA2 might actually be the worst game I have ever finished by far, what a giant pile of reused garbage. It makes the average shitty AAA RPG feel like a masterpiece in comparison.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Bioware downward spiral started with Jade Empire.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Blackshirt Augur

Blackshirt
    Was DA1 any good? To me it always reeked of mid 2000's leftover edginess from the 90's, not to mentioned the blatant homo propaganda by it's equally homo director as well as the cringy romances.

• Yes x 5
    • No x 5
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Yes, it was pretty good. A shame the party size was only 4 and you had to pause to cast spells, but it had many things going for it as an engine for future games that make its sequels all the more confusing.

Just ignore all of the "discount LoTR" stuff it shoves in your face in the intro.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Origins is a single-player MMO with cringe romance and generic Dark Fantasy™ setting.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    No, that's Inquisition.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Greek Anime God Learned

Greek Anime God
    Larian is saving the BG series by returning to the turn based roots that gold box enjoyers crave.

• not sure if serious x 1
    • Fishy x 1
    • No x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Combat is about cycling through cooldowns (reminded me of the Hunter 10-second rotation) against copy-pasted trash mobs. Quests are frequently "go find me 3 of x and come back". The only redeeming element of Origins is that you can play combat from a top-down perspective.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Camel Learned

Camel
    Well, an idea was fresh but execution was bad, rushed game or not.
    I think most people agree that the Qunari leader was a well-written character(one of the few), him going batshit crazy because he was fed up with Kirkwall and slaughtering degenerates of the corrupt city was funny and justified. The Qunari were feared and masculine then.
    Cassandra is not lesbian and I never found Varric funny and never understood what BioWare fans liked in him. The writers made him a subversion of the dwarf stereotype for subversion sake - surface dwarf, trader, uses a crossbow instead of an axe, jokester.
    SJW stuff started to become more obvious while political correctness was subtle in DA:O.

BioWare saw the game stats that the players overwhelmingly sided with the mages in the Tower of Magi quest of DA:O so they decided to make every single mage a blood mage in DA 2. Retarded decision. There was one token good Templar who helped and hid the mages in DA2 and, you guess it, he's killed by the blood mage.
    I've also read that left-wingers supported the mages and right-wingers supported the templars while if you take gun control their positions are opposite.

Good riddance.

Precisely.

Pretty much. If some devs can do it properly it would be interesting to try.

They still had good devs and writers then and produced ME1-2, DA:O.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Maximus Woof woof! Patron

Maximus
    It doesn't make any sense for Kirkwall to be hosting the military leader and his cohort of the most hostile and alien political faction in the entire world. It's like the Soviet marshal camping for years at a time in Luxembourg during the Cold War era, with a bunch of his generals and elite Red Army soldiers, for completely unknown reasons, completely unwanted and uninvited, for an indefinite period of time - this ridiculous status quo could never even be established in the first place, let alone last for years.

Their motivation for staying in Kirkwall was also retarded. Why would they give a shit about the original tome of their philosopher? They have plenty of copies, I assume. If there is any faction in DA that should have a purely utilitarian attitude towards antique items and give zero shit about relics, it's the Qunari. They don't even have funerals for their dead, what tome of Koslun, nigger, this isn't the Chantry lol.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    Origins was already gushing decline through several orifices - BioWare's new ruleset was lackluster, encounters suffered, the "camp" was emphasized and general level design was a significant regression even relative to the less fortunate parts of NWN - but it skirted by on its written content and plot agency. Basically, it earned a pass for letting you "kill all the elves."

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Stop pretending they put any effort into writing this.

^ Top  
  19. Camel Learned

Camel
    I never said that the DA2 writing was good. :dance:The Qunari motivation is dumb and the Kirkwall degenerates' motivation in not immediately calling a crusade against their Ottoman empire is dumb too.

^ Top  
  20. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    It's hardly surprising. Think mutans from the X-Men.

^ Top  
  21. Ravielsk Scholar

Ravielsk
    The problem is that Bioware writers(and most people in the industry it seems) understood the "there are no good guys" as "everyone is a bad guy" when in reality its means that there are no bad choices. The witcher does not have sides that are never "truly good" it has sides that are never wholly in the wrong. Choosing either can be justified and logical argued to be the "right choice", both have consistent and reasonable motivations and goals that in most ways are entirely utilitarian even if the individual members do not always act that way.

Bioware and most modern writers cannot write this sort of stuff because they are stuck in binary mindset of a child. They self evidently cannot wrap their minds around the idea that two or more mutually contradictory mind sets can exist without either being malicious. Its the one thing that positive thing about twitter, that it exposed how much these "industry writers" are disconnected from reality.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  22. Maximus Woof woof! Patron

Maximus
    I read the templars vs mages conflict as more of a police vs antifa allegory, rather than gun control. Guns are a commodity and pro-2A people want to keep it that way, whereas mages are an insular and "enlightened" group of people who are born super-special, and are terribly misunderstood and oppressed by the cruel, bigoted society.

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    NWN was no decline at all. It just had a boring OC. The core gameplay was perfectly fine, the skill system actually became significantly more complex compared to Baldur's Gate, and it was a thoroughly bold project.

The decline began with KOTOR, but it was concealed by the fact that it was a fun game. However, you could clearly see that consoles started playing a key role for Bioware, whereas NWN was entirely free from console taint.

Then Mass Effect was full-on console decline, and Jade Empire was heavily consolised too. They rebounded slightly with Dragon Age, but were ultimately buried by consolisation.

Dragon Age 2 was when they died for the mainstream public as well.

It can be argued that the decline started with TOB, in the sense that it's heaping absurd railroaded epicness at the player, but it's only an add-on.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. IDtenT Menace to sobriety! Patron

IDtenT
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I can't believe it's only ten years ago, tbh. It was just that awful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    The time to make this thread would have been back in March or at least back in April when Gaider posted a bunch of tweets about it, not now. :M

For posterity

https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1382001252641370116
    https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1382020480585003009
    https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1382022524813209602
    https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1382035087462600704

• Informative x 8
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.