Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Tyrr

Liturgist
DA2 had its problems. But mainly because EA forced Bioware to make it in less a year. Not because of woke bs.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I still don't know what the darkspawn and the Archdemon's deal is.
You're not supposed to. That's one of the mysteries.
Can confirm that the clues given in origins as well as the various theories were more fun then being told the actual answer. This is why i no longer wish to know wtf is up with the black city and what lurks inside, no doubt the twist will be something silly like solas was the maker all along and woke up when the tevinter mages burst in on his nap time.

Jfc that alpha footage though… The ui seems exactly the same as inquisition so designed for consoles, cant have more then 4 abilities, great start.
In fact everything about it triggered my inquisition ptsd, wtf i legit cant tell the difference.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Vidya games always seem like they're trying to jump on bandwagons far too late. Doing the whole Marvel-esque thing (which is absolutely true, video game writers in the last few years have visibly tried to ape that style) when in 2024 even normies largely hate it and the Marvel movies are going into the toilet.

It's too late to change direction now.
I don't think they're necessarily trying to ape Marvel movies directly. A lot of these video game writers were adolescents/teens when Joss Whedon was king, so his quip-heavy writing style (which yes, then became part of the Marvel approach, thanks to his involvement) is baked into their brains.

Which is funny, since he got canceled years ago.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Vidya games always seem like they're trying to jump on bandwagons far too late. Doing the whole Marvel-esque thing (which is absolutely true, video game writers in the last few years have visibly tried to ape that style) when in 2024 even normies largely hate it and the Marvel movies are going into the toilet.

I don't think they're necessarily trying to ape Marvel movies directly. A lot of these video game writers were adolescents/teens when Joss Whedon was king, so his quip-heavy writing style (which yes, then became part of the Marvel approach, thanks to his involvement) is baked into their brains.

The difference is that Whedon, even though I don't particularly like his writing style, has a sharp wit and can actually be rather funny, especially during his peak (Firefly imo).

All these millennial writers are trying to imitate his style with nothing of substance. It's all so horribly bland and unwilling to take risks. These are writers who have nothing to say, no ambitions of their own, too hampered to say anything offensive or interesting.

So what do you have left when it's not art, it's not passion, and it's not even entertaining enough to be called entertainment?

It's just consumerist garbage.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

The difference is that Whedon, even though I don't particularly like his writing style, has a sharp wit and can actually be rather funny, especially during his peak (Firefly imo).

All these millennial writers are trying to imitate his style with nothing of substance. It's all so horribly bland and unwilling to take risks. These are writers who have nothing to say, no ambitions of their own, too hampered to say anything offensive or interesting.

So what do you have left when it's not art, it's not passion, and it's not even entertaining enough to be called entertainment?

It's just consumerist garbage.
Oh, couldn't agree more. Whedon came to develop his style through considerable study and knowledge of other styles, film, and literature as a whole, and I think you could feel that foundation in the best of what he wrote. There was more 'there' there. The new guard instead used him as a starting point and skipped everything else, and we're left with superficial, joyless, tensionless buffoonery as a result.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Wasn't FO4 revealed in June at E3, gameplay presentation then and there and released November that year?
More companies should do that. Reveal, show gameplay, release in 4 or 5 months. Instead of how it is now, announce a project 2 or 3 years before the first trailer and then wait a year or two for actual release.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Wasn't FO4 revealed in June at E3, gameplay presentation then and there and released November that year?
More companies should do that. Reveal, show gameplay, release in 4 or 5 months. Instead of how it is now, announce a project 2 or 3 years before the first trailer and then wait a year or two for actual release.
It's better than announcing the game 6 years in advance.

ChildInTime

Learned
Anyone know if I need to play the Dragon Age 3 DLC to be caught up? I never bothered. Looks like that bald elf that only shows up in 3 is back.
All dlcs for Inquisition are pretty good - Jaws of Hakkon is how all areas in the game should've been done, Descent is the best 'dungeon', and Trespasser is the real ending.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Jaws of Hakkon is better than every other area in the game, but even it is a little too long and cringe lore about the Inquisition (still much better than base game).

Descent is the definition of a slog, with the most retarded story in the Dragon Age franchise. Also, shit boss fight at the end. The writers sat at the table and brainstormed how "AWESOME" and UNIVERSE changing they can make something.

Well, Descent could've been the worst but that's when Trespasser comes in and one ups it. Old characters come back and act much differently, the political intrigue you start with is quickly changed for a slog through a magic world, universe changing lore, another slog through corridors, etc.

What a steaming pile of shit this game was.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Anyone know if I need to play the Dragon Age 3 DLC to be caught up? I never bothered. Looks like that bald elf that only shows up in 3 is back.
Trespasser pretty much tells you why he is back, with absolute lore rape included too.
The lore behind the Fade, Solas, the elves and their gods is a pretty interesting take on the genre, it was the least of Inquisitions problems.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The entirety of Dragon Age could be retconned except for some parts of DA1 and it would be a massive improvement.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The entirety of Dragon Age could be retconned except for some parts of DA1 and it would be a massive improvement.
Even the part that remains is only good thanks to its execution. It doesn't need to be original.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They should give the game to Chinese room, who violate VtM2 right now and make them a kind of a special studio, to whom companies ritualisticly give their once-epic franchises to make some abysmal and idiotic shovelware. Like, a studio graveyard from EA meme materialized or burning fallen warrior in a boat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom