Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

RepHope

Savant
I met someone who was working at Bioware; they've been there for around 4 years. They can answer any questions, I'll pretend that it's just me asking.
How “woke” is it there for real? BioWare seems to be a company of full blown SJWs, is that accurate or just virtue signaling?

Bah

Arcane
I met someone who was working at Bioware; they've been there for around 4 years. They can answer any questions, I'll pretend that it's just me asking.
How “woke” is it there for real? BioWare seems to be a company of full blown SJWs, is that accurate or just virtue signaling?

Went to their blog, and it looks like the most recent Edmonton team photo is from 2017. See a few fat women with dyed hair, but still mostly a sausage fest.

DSC00766-1-1024x683_c.jpg

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Explaining the lack of evil choices in the Nu-DA games:

Cole's Original Arc

In the earlier version of Cole and his personal quest, the Inquisitor had three decisions

1. Side with Solas and make Cole more of a Spirit
  2. Side with Varric and make Cole more of a Human
    and the decision that never came to be...
  3. Let Cole kill the Templar
As Cole is a spirit of Compassion, the path would be an emotional interference. Patrick Weekes personally hated the option, thinking "well, there's gonna be that one player". Apparently, the scene had way more knife cuts than necessary for the kill. But, an issue came up with the third option: the budget. "We have the budget to do two really well, or three kind of. And it was changed."

Weekes was admittedly happy for the change, as he described himself a "light side hippy", but the bigger question was whether he cut it because it genuinely fit or if it is something he personally doesn't want. As a writer, that's the difficult thing to discern. But the choice for Cole was cut for the better of the story.

https://www.ladyinsanity.com/blog/paxeast15-creatingchar

Codex Year of the Donut

Cole's Original Arc

In the earlier version of Cole and his personal quest, the Inquisitor had three decisions

As Cole is a spirit of Compassion, the path would be an emotional interference. Patrick Weekes personally hated the option, thinking "well, there's gonna be that one player". Apparently, the scene had way more knife cuts than necessary for the kill. But, an issue came up with the third option: the budget. "We have the budget to do two really well, or three kind of. And it was changed."

Weekes was admittedly happy for the change, as he described himself a "light side hippy", but the bigger question was whether he cut it because it genuinely fit or if it is something he personally doesn't want. As a writer, that's the difficult thing to discern. But the choice for Cole was cut for the better of the story.

Players should be able to play an RPG the way they want, and they don’t need my moral judgments getting in the way of how they have fun. I also am not a fan of pre-determined attitudes and alignments for players-my hope is that at the end of the game, they’ve answered the question, “What kind of character am I really, and how did that depart from what I thought I would be?” I always considered Torment a sort of role-player’s experiment, where each incarnation of the Nameless One had the potential to be a different personality and a different type of gamer, depending on the choices he made in the game world. It’s echoed a bit in Alpha Protocol at the end of game with Leland, where he asks if you became the person you set out to be when you joined the agency, and it’s something I like to keep asking players when possible because moments of self-reflection never hurt.
— Chris Avellone, Obsidian Entertainment, 2010

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

Cole's Original Arc

Players should be able to play an RPG the way they want, and they don’t need my moral judgments getting in the way of how they have fun. I also am not a fan of pre-determined attitudes and alignments for players-my hope is that at the end of the game, they’ve answered the question, “What kind of character am I really, and how did that depart from what I thought I would be?” I always considered Torment a sort of role-player’s experiment, where each incarnation of the Nameless One had the potential to be a different personality and a different type of gamer, depending on the choices he made in the game world. It’s echoed a bit in Alpha Protocol at the end of game with Leland, where he asks if you became the person you set out to be when you joined the agency, and it’s something I like to keep asking players when possible because moments of self-reflection never hurt.
— Chris Avellone, Obsidian Entertainment, 2010
Has anyone played Alpha Protocol? I've only watched compilations of the protag killing women and found it quite funny.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Has anyone played Alpha Protocol? I've only watched compilations of the protag killing women and found it quite funny.
It's a bit of a cult hit, it has a lot of fans on the codex.
I think it depends on how much weight you put on the narrative element vs actual gameplay elements.
Will take a look, i know it's from a time where everything needed to be a shooter and heard the shooting part was bad but i'm willing to overlook that stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Dodo1610

Arcane
Why do big name single player RPGs always take a million fucking years to come out?

The current version of DA4 has "only" started development in 2019.
DAO also had multiplayer during development but became a SP game during its 6 year development cycle.

I think it depends on how much weight you put on the narrative element vs actual gameplay elements.
Will take a look, i know it's from a time where everything needed to be a shooter and heard the shooting part was bad but i'm willing to overlook that stuff.

Bad is probably being a little kind, the shooting is aggravatingly terrible, (at least at the start) they're going for a thing with it but they fucked up. But the good is good enough, and interesting enough, to overlook this very big flaw.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
People talk about eurojank in games like the Spiders games or recently ELEX, but man AP is on another level of jank. It's like driving a car you think is going to fall apart any second.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Bad is probably being a little kind, the shooting is aggravatingly terrible, (at least at the start) they're going for a thing with it but they fucked up. But the good is good enough, and interesting enough, to overlook this very big flaw.
The worst part remains the boss battles, that made a jokery of stealth builds, among other things. They had been outsourced to another studio iirc.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Went to their blog, and it looks like the most recent Edmonton team photo is from 2017. See a few fat women with dyed hair, but still mostly a sausage fest.

DSC00766-1-1024x683_c.jpg

What a heap of white privileges!

Cael

Arcane

The worst part remains the boss battles, that made a jokery of stealth builds, among other things. They had been outsourced to another studio iirc.
Stealth builds can still be viable if the boss are not equipped with ridiculous regen, which seem to be the default with ARPGs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

That was Deus Ex Human Revolution. AP's boss battles were 100% Obsidian and stealth was a tacked-on featured forced on them by Sega and not part of the original design.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Stealth builds can still be viable if the boss are not equipped with ridiculous regen, which seem to be the default with ARPGs.

Brayko was bro but a cunt to fight. Only when I equipped SMG's, could I take the fucker down and then of course let him live.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom