Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Should have went for red lyrium aesthetics instead of tumblr-purple, it fits the overall "bleak" theme they're trying to go for. Regardless, the game will be shit either way.
They don't want to be bleak. The current team already talked about how they dislike Origins' dark fantasy elements.
They disliked the only redeeming quality of the original (which otherwise is quite the mediocre game in a vanilla fantasy setting).

DA:O dwarves have some of the best realized dwarf lore in fantasy vidya gaming in my opinion. It's fairly laughable how interesting Orzammar and dwarven culture is compared to the elves, just as rusty_shackleford said in an earlier post.

I'd genuinely enjoy the lore of DA-game build entirely around their dwarf-take, I think

Vatnik Wumao
DA:O dwarves have some of the best realized dwarf lore in fantasy vidya gaming in my opinion. It's fairly laughable how interesting Orzammar and dwarven culture is compared to the elves, just as rusty_shackleford said in an earlier post.

I'd genuinely enjoy the lore of DA-game build entirely around their dwarf-take, I think
Agreed. And also it should be noted that the Dwarf noble origin was more fleshed out originally, but they ended up cutting content as to keep the various origins balanced (which is a travesty imho).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Agreed. And also it should be noted that the Dwarf noble origin was more fleshed out originally, but they ended up cutting content as to keep the various origins balanced (which is a travesty imho).

Dwarf noble origin was the best one. And Bioware really screwed the pooch when they turfed the Origins system in the future games. It really made it your character instead of generic whatever. Like who gives a shit about "Hawke"?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Dwarf noble origin was the best one. And Bioware really screwed the pooch when they turfed the Origins system in the future games. It really made it your character instead of generic whatever. Like who gives a shit about "Hawke"?

DA2 was obviously way cheaper than DA:O, and one of the true money savers must have been the tiny amount of choice branching compared to DA:O.

That said, the two parts of DA structure and setting I enjoyed the most back in the day were: 1) the dwarves, like I said and 2) DA2's story structure. DA2 is a horrible game, but it's got one of the best story structures of any cRPG in my opinion. Only taking place in one, fully fleshed out city with multiple time jumps throughout the life of your one character was a really refreshing break from saving the universe via an open-world continental map, I thought. It has lots of side-benefits like your following the evolution of NPCs, meeting random people you did quests for way later, seeing how their life has turned out, reminiscing with them and so on. It's a shame so many RPGs are built on such similar, basic structures.

Too bad the game is absolutely terrible, for the most part.

mediocrepoet

Patron
It really made it your character instead of generic whatever. Like who gives a shit about "Hawke"?
Voiced protagonists were a mistake.

I don't hate them as much as some people, but the ability to choose your voice (if having it at all) is better than a fully voiced but no choice character, and even more customizable options for making the character your character instead of a voice is an even better use of resources.

I can't believe every post in that thread is just one person after another writing: Be Bisexual, Do Crimes...followed by a different gif of someone raising their fist into the air.

But actually, looking at some of that thread it looks like BioWare has lost even ResetEra. Even they're confused by the logo, and a lot of them don't seem to like it. And ResetEra is probably the audience they were expecting to flip out over that logo.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
We aren't getting any good romance options, are we?
Fuck off with romances in videogames, holy shit! Completely wasted resources. Might as well just burn money, it's the same thing. At least GTA San Andreas tried to go further with the "romance" by having a sex mini game and look at the shit storm they got.

Edit: typos because autocorrect because mobile because why not.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
But actually, looking at some of that thread it looks like BioWare has lost even ResetEra. Even they're confused by the logo, and a lot of them don't seem to like it. And ResetEra is probably the audience they were expecting to flip out over that logo.

Makes sense, it kind of looks like the sign for a gay nightclub.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We need Dragon Age: Origins 2 instead of this garbage. A sequel that improves on the solid but lacking fundaments and completely ignores the "sequels". Never going to happen though, if anything a reimagining of the original with more LGBTQ+++ or whatever is more likely at this point.

mediocrepoet

Patron
We need Dragon Age: Origins 2 instead of this garbage. A sequel that improves on the solid but lacking fundaments and completely ignores the "sequels".

I like where you're going with this, but actually, we need Bioware to just fully die or let it pander to the story wank forever alone crowd and just look to companies that actually put out decent games.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
That logo has me thinking of the parodies people used to make after the New Shit trailer for DA:O. It's always only a matter of time.

Absinthe

Arcane
I reckon this inability to do dark themes is going to wreck the game, considering the central premise is that Solas wants to basically wipe the current world of out existence with a return to the old world in order to fix the situation he caused. If you can't do dark themes when you've got a narrative like that, it's going to end up fucking retarded.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Remember a few years ago when the voice actor of Allister whom the obese whales love released a video where he LARPS as Allister while declaring his support for trump? That was hilarious, lol.

Vatnik Wumao
Having to tweak cinematics for different heights is a far bigger deal than needing to have four voice actors as opposed to two.
Heavily disagree since you can plan in advance on how to design the various scenes as to reduce the amount of necessary tweaking that has to be done. Voice actors having to voice all of a protagonist's lines on the other hand requires more money.

And perhaps more importantly, devs who jump on the voiced protagonist bandwagon tend to minimize VA cost by dumbing down the dialogue since it's not cost effective to have too many dialogue alternatives for a single reply given that it would be 'redundant' if it doesn't translate into C&C. When in fact it was precisely that redundancy that made DAO stand out with its dialogue system since those choices served to inform the PC's outlook on things and thus made every PC feel well characterized throughout several playthroughs even when doing some of the same actions in terms of C&C since the reasoning you picked for the PC's decisions was different for each character.

If you're going to have a DAO style dialogue system and then just voice act every single line of dialogue, then that's fine by me. But ditching that in favor of dumbed down dialogue and dialogue wheel trash just because some mouthbreathers can't be bothered to read some extra text? No, thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom