Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Delterius

Arcane
This thread is about American mainstream train derailments not about obscure esoteric games three and a half poles know about.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This thread is about American mainstream train derailments not about obscure esoteric games three and a half poles know about.
Estimated 1 million Steam copies sold, 55.03% positive ratings, 25 people online RIGHT NOW. More than Babylon's Fall, the latest game by Platinum.

Fargus

Arcane
I actually think I should go back to Inquisition and beat it with the DLC. No completionist autism, might even cheat myself some money/herbs/whatever, and go through it to see the characters and plot, and hope for a good next installment. How many hours is it, if I don't search every corner and loot every chest and do every fetch quest?

Story itself wasnt anything special, but mmo shit is what really killed it for me. Aside from cringy companions. Story is rather short if you exclude all the fetch garbage so my bet is 20 maybe 30 hours of story. I played it without dlcs back in 2015 so i recall it vaguely.

But i remember that even for late bioware this game was bad. Not something i would ever want to go back to.

Delterius

Arcane
Estimated 1 million Steam copies sold, 55.03% positive ratings, 25 people online RIGHT NOW. More than Babylon's Fall, the latest game by Platinum.
Nice try but I know all about your EUSSR 'educational game purchases for schools' grift.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some people get butthurt whenever anything nice is said about DA:I.

Look, here's the beef. In many ways, I agree it's a terrible game - the faggotry, the grll power, the overwrought open world with its febrile collection mania, the weak villain, etc. But what is actually quite good about DA:I is that they did finally perfect and refine a way of having a simplified, streamlined system of 3rd person party fantasy combat gameplay, a system that they'd started working with from KOTOR on down.

Even with DA:O and DA2, they were still falling between the two stools of biting the 3rd person bullet and trying to retain distant memories of isometric gameplay. With this game, they fully committed to 3rd person combat that you can be in most of the time, and it's actually better for it.

Sure, it would have been cool if the game had had a proper tactical view as well (there is actually a mod for it, but it's a bit fussy to implement), but you don't actually need tactical view (except in the direst emergencies on Nightmare) because the way it's set up, it actually plays very well in 3rd person with AI-controlled companions, most of the time. It would also have been cool if the AI had been better, and they'd had an extensive AI conditionals setup like DA:O (especially with the even better mods for that), or like Pillars 2. But I suppose that's console retardation for you. Can't have too many menus and lists to navigate, after all. :)

Essentially, like Skyrim, the combat is enjoyable if you don't pine for it to be what it's not but just accept it for what it is. There's the meta question of whether such simplified combat systems should be acceptable as "RPG", whether the pitchforks should be out for something better in relation to the good name of the genre. But that's a separate question from just looking at what's implemented and judging its quality for what it is in itself.

One of the things about the term "lowest common denominator" is that it applies to people like us too. While it doesn't refer to what we love (e.g. I love intricate turn-based tactical gameplay and deep simulationist mechanics and build systems) it can refer to something that's enjoyable enough. And I maintain that just the 3rd person party combat as it is, plus the pure dungeon crawling of the DLC Descent is the lowest-common-denominator that actually works for this game, it's more like what the game should have been: big battles with hordes of enemies, with tougher elites and bosses. With that DLC it becomes a proper, lowest-common-denominator-enjoyable PC game.
Is it a good game? Yes or no.
No its not a good game and its not even worth playing. You can have a positive first impressions since the beginning of the game is decent and gives some hope that it will be a good game. That hope will start fade away slowly but steadily the more you play it as you witness the boring world design, boring enemy encounter design, boring quests and majority of dialogs being just bad.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

Look, here's the beef. In many ways, I agree it's a terrible game - the faggotry, the grll power, the overwrought open world with its febrile collection mania, the weak villain, etc. But what is actually quite good about DA:I is that they did finally perfect and refine a way of having a simplified, streamlined system of 3rd person party fantasy combat gameplay, a system that they'd started working with from KOTOR on down.

Even with DA:O and DA2, they were still falling between the two stools of biting the 3rd person bullet and trying to retain distant memories of isometric gameplay. With this game, they fully committed to 3rd person combat that you can be in most of the time, and it's actually better for it.

Sure, it would have been cool if the game had had a proper tactical view as well (there is actually a mod for it, but it's a bit fussy to implement), but you don't actually need tactical view (except in the direst emergencies on Nightmare) because the way it's set up, it actually plays very well in 3rd person with AI-controlled companions, most of the time. It would also have been cool if the AI had been better, and they'd had an extensive AI conditionals setup like DA:O (especially with the even better mods for that), or like Pillars 2. But I suppose that's console retardation for you. Can't have too many menus and lists to navigate, after all. :)

Essentially, like Skyrim, the combat is enjoyable if you don't pine for it to be what it's not but just accept it for what it is. There's the meta question of whether such simplified combat systems should be acceptable as "RPG", whether the pitchforks should be out for something better in relation to the good name of the genre. But that's a separate question from just looking at what's implemented and judging its quality for what it is in itself.

One of the things about the term "lowest common denominator" is that it applies to people like us too. While it doesn't refer to what we love (e.g. I love intricate turn-based tactical gameplay and deep simulationist mechanics and build systems) it can refer to something that's enjoyable enough. And I maintain that just the 3rd person party combat as it is, plus the pure dungeon crawling of the DLC Descent is the lowest-common-denominator that actually works for this game, it's more like what the game should have been: big battles with hordes of enemies, with tougher elites and bosses. With that DLC it becomes a proper, lowest-common-denominator-enjoyable PC game.

I thought I was clear: out of the box, no; in that particular DLC, yes. That DLC represents something more like what the game should have been like all the way through.
Then why all this pontification about how this shit game isn't actually that bad, comparing it to other trash games, etc? Do you potificate as much about the color texture and scent of your stools? There is nothing redeemable about this game, everything that is barely functional was lifted right out of the soul-crushing mmo formula. Accepting shit for what it is and training yourself to feel like you vaguely enjoy it is the foundation of decline. Everything that isn't great is not worthwhile.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I thought I was clear: out of the box, no; in that particular DLC, yes. That DLC represents something more like what the game should have been like all the way through.
Then why all this pontification about how this shit game isn't actually that bad, comparing it to other trash games, etc? Do you potificate as much about the color texture and scent of your stools? There is nothing redeemable about this game, everything that is barely functional was lifted right out of the soul-crushing mmo formula. Accepting shit for what it is and training yourself to feel like you vaguely enjoy it is the foundation of decline. Everything that isn't great is not worthwhile.
And the perfect is the enemy of the good. Plus, I'm being quite specific in what I'm saying: I'm not saying the main game is good, that still has all the problems it has. I'm just saying that the Descent DLC actually does somewhat redeem the game and show something more like what the game could and should have been like, and shows that the action-ish gameplay in and of itself wasn't the worst of the game's problems.

Lodis

Educated
I honestly don't remember much of Inquisition, granted I never actually managed to finish a single playthrough since I always got burned out before I actually bother to finish the main quest. I do remember how gutted the magic was in this game compared to Origins. Like the "Necromancy" specialization had fuck all to do with necromancy and was literally just a cucked version of the spirit tree from Origins.

Also goddamn the women in this game are ugly. The only decent looking one is Morrigan.

Myobi

Liturgist
They made her look like a fucking tranny...

morrigan-profile.jpg

Characters in BioWare have been on a huge decline since ME3, ugly shallow bastards, all of them.

Last edited:

Drop Duck

Learned
ArcaniA was legitimately such a bad game, though. Even if you had no idea what Gothic was, never played any of the other games, its still just bad.
Arcania is a decent game, you don't know what you're talking about if you call it bad. Restricted Area and The Fall: Last Days of Gaia are bad games, Arcania is just okay.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
ArcaniA was legitimately such a bad game, though. Even if you had no idea what Gothic was, never played any of the other games, its still just bad.
Arcania is a decent game, you don't know what you're talking about if you call it bad. Restricted Area and The Fall: Last Days of Gaia are bad games, Arcania is just okay.
A badly animated game, with horrible voice acting and a dull story, that takes place in a world separated into small to medium sized areas, and populated by samey enemies that fight about the same, and you have to grind through them as you complete linear and simple quests.
Generic 2: Regeneric. The whole SOUL vs SOULESS meme might as well have been meant to compare Arcania to Risen, for example.

Codex Year of the Donut
Only way I could be remotely interested in this is if they stated they gave the project to bioware austin. Main bioware studio is beyond salvageable.

Codex Year of the Donut
Essentially, like Skyrim, the combat is enjoyable if you don't pine for it to be what it's not but just accept it for what it is.
No, it's not. You can't even move and attack at the same time. The combat is horrid, like it was designed by someone who had zero experience designing or playing games with action combat -- because it probably was.
DAO has more "fluid"(for lack of a better term) combat despite not even trying to be the same type of game as DAI. Compare and contrast them sometime, it's ridiculous.

[edit]
and if someone doesn't believe me that the game is this shit, there's a mod to enable moving while autoattacking: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1498
but they never enabled moving while using skills, so it still feels very rigid while playing melee.
Allows players to auto-attack while moving. By default, auto-attacking causes you to lose control of your character's movement until the animation is completed, but this mod allows you to retain full control of said character and move around whenever you like.
:prosper:

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Essentially, like Skyrim, the combat is enjoyable if you don't pine for it to be what it's not but just accept it for what it is.
No, it's not. You can't even move and attack at the same time. The combat is horrid, like it was designed by someone who had zero experience designing or playing games with action combat -- because it probably was.
DAO has more "fluid"(for lack of a better term) combat despite not even trying to be the same type of game as DAI. Compare and contrast them sometime, it's ridiculous.

[edit]
and if someone doesn't believe me that the game is this shit, there's a mod to enable moving while autoattacking: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1498
but they never enabled moving while using skills, so it still feels very rigid while playing melee.
Allows players to auto-attack while moving. By default, auto-attacking causes you to lose control of your character's movement until the animation is completed, but this mod allows you to retain full control of said character and move around whenever you like.

If you don't have that you have the kind of jank that spoiled The Secret World - where you have someone running along waving a sword or making magical hand gestures awkwardly to the side. It's a nice idea and it might be possible at some time in the future, but I don't think animation's advanced enough yet. And anyway, you usually have to be grounded when you strike (imagine fighting on a frictionless surface); standing still while concentrating momentarily on a spell also makes sense.

Codex Year of the Donut

[edit]

If you don't have that you have the kind of jank that spoiled The Secret World - where you have someone running along waving a sword or making magical hand gestures awkwardly to the side. It's a nice idea and it might be possible at some time in the future, but I don't think animation's advanced enough yet. And anyway, you usually have to be grounded when you strike (imagine fighting on a frictionless surface); standing still while concentrating momentarily on a spell also makes sense.
being able to move and attack is a basic part of 3d action-oriented games for idk... 20 or so years at least?

A-Minish

Educated
Come on, you can do better then this. Morrigan is one of the few decent ones.
iu

iu

1044-0-1447948084.jpg

latest

They did nearly everything to this serie : Jumped the shark, Dumbed it down, crammed in as much "people of color" as possible(niggerizing realy) and made some character ugly on purpose. The 4th one will not be different, it will probably be even worse(if it achieves to get released that is)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

[edit]

being able to move and attack is a basic part of 3d action-oriented games for idk... 20 or so years at least?

First person games, where you don't have to actually show the fully body animation up close 24/7, sure (even then, the NPCs have often looked janky), but I think animation blending that's good enough (for sudden changes of mind/direction/aiming) for 3rd person where you're looking at the character all the time is more recent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom