Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't you ruin my picturesque hyperbole with facts

Dycedarg

Learned
I wonder what is the purpose of releasing those trailers with so little work done. Are they trying to convince the public that they're still relevant? Or are they trying to convince themselves? Either way it's pathetic.

Dycedarg

Learned
The irony of Bioware's situation is that RPGs are more alive than they've ever been since I started playing them in the late nineties. Yet in this environment of RPG-revivals, the king of commercial RPG succes is totally bewildered lol

Don't you think those things are kind of related? Bioware thrived when very few studios were making rpgs, leaving them with a captive audience and very little competition. Gamers now have many more options.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder what is the purpose of releasing those trailers with so little work done. Are they trying to convince the public that they're still relevant? Or are they trying to convince themselves? Either way it's pathetic.

For at least 10 years, every big game has released pointless "teaser" trailers way before there's anything to actually show. I guess the idea is that it gets hype started and gets word spreading about the game.

It's dumb as fuck but it works.

Dycedarg

Learned
For at least 10 years, every big game has released pointless "teaser" trailers way before there's anything to actually show. I guess the idea is that it gets hype started and gets word spreading about the game.

It's dumb as fuck but it works.

That might explain the Game Awards trailer, but the Gamescom one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acSr9Ki7P_w

Even their fans tore them a new one for that travesty. And in retrospect it looks even worse now that Hudson and Darrah, who were featured prominently in the piece, left Bioware. :lol:

Blitzkrieg

Novice
This and the new Mass Effect teaser seem like desperate attempts to show that they're still alive. Even though they've released nothing but trash in the last 7 years and all their talent is leaving. Yes I will be buying both because I'm a retarded fanboy.

Wunderbar

Arcane
rumour says Casey Hudson bypassed EA's orders and announced DA4 early because he felt that EA may cancel the game. Cancelling the game after it was already announced would look pretty bad.

Blitzkrieg

Novice
rumour says Casey Hudson bypassed EA's orders and announced DA4 early because he felt that EA may cancel the game. Cancelling the game after it was already announced would look pretty bad.
Isn't there confirmation that DA4 had already been scrapped once already and this new one is going to focus more on live service? I can't remember exactly where I heard this but it was on a DA news channel.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Rumor says that Mark Darrah was supposed to be releasing the game this year and he was let go because of his failure to do so.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Isn't there confirmation that DA4 had already been scrapped once already and this new one is going to focus more on live service? I can't remember exactly where I heard this but it was on a DA news channel.

Yes and it sounded okay:
"The game is said to have emphasized player choice, with consequences for every action. You’d lead a group of spies in Tevinter Imperium taking on heists. The idea was to allow players to approach these missions in different ways through narrative-based mechanics, such as persuading guards or extorting them."

Dycedarg

Learned
Rumor says that Mark Darrah was supposed to be releasing the game this year and he was let go because of his failure to do so.

What? This can't be true. The Game Awards trailer didn't feature any gameplay. Hell, the Gamescom trailer didn't have any proper CUTSCENES. There is no way for this thing to come out before 2022, and that may be optimistic.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

What? This can't be true. The Game Awards trailer didn't feature any gameplay. Hell, the Gamescom trailer didn't have any proper CUTSCENES. There is no way for this thing to come out before 2022, and that may be optimistic.

the rumor is from cullens voice actor, who recently had a meltdown over cancel culture or something like that. look it up. anyway, he says that darrah was forced to resign after failing to deliver a product this year. is it true? I dunno

Flying Dutchman

Learned

I'd believe that because the announcement just felt rushed, EA usually puts more effort into marketing crap than that.

Dycedarg

Learned
the rumor is from cullens voice actor, who recently had a meltdown over cancel culture or something like that. look it up. anyway, he says that darrah was forced to resign after failing to deliver a product this year. is it true? I dunno

If this is true, then this game is truly going to be a memefest. Darrah and Hudson were two of the last developers at Bioware capable of making a serviceable game. It's going to be fun watching where this project will go without them.

:positive:

Aarwolf

Learned

All they want is showing the fanbase that they are there and that they still can give them things they know and things they like. So they pack inside companions they know are popular among fans (like Liara, Varrick and so on and so forth) and that screams HEY WE'RE DOING THE SAME! PREORDER OUR GAME.
Of course it's cargo cult, they don't know what made first Mass Effect or DAO decent games, there are barely any people inside who remember working on them. All they can do is trying to copy and all they will end up with is another Andromeda-tier shit, lifeless husk full of cringy characters and boring sidequests.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If this is true, then this game is truly going to be a memefest. Darrah and Hudson were two of the last developers at Bioware capable of making a serviceable game. It's going to be fun watching where this project will go without them.

:positive:
Need a source on them being able to make a serviceable game. The last one was ME3, and that was two console generations ago.

I haven’t played a BioWare game since ME2, but do they even really make RPGs anymore? My memory of ME2 is that it was a third-person shooter with C&C and lite character progression elements. Did the DA franchise stay closer to its RPG roots?

Dycedarg

Learned
Need a source on them being able to make a serviceable game. The last one was ME3, and that was two console generations ago.

By serviceable I don't mean a game I would actually play, but something like the game that made me finally write off Bioware: Dragon Age Inquisition. Personal opinions aside, Inquisition was both critically acclaimed an financially sucessful. I would never play it, but I'm also pretty sure most Bioware fans would love a new Dragon Age similar to Inquisition. Unfortunately for them the departures of Mark Darrah, Mike Laidlaw, David Gaider and others make it almost impossible for Bioware to produce such a game.

Oh, and them making a good game was never in the cards. That ship has sailed long ago.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I haven’t played a BioWare game since ME2, but do they even really make RPGs anymore? My memory of ME2 is that it was a third-person shooter with C&C and lite character progression elements. Did the DA franchise stay closer to its RPG roots?

In mechanics, no.
In Role Playing, there's a few great crumbs of fun options there - theres an option that allows you to put a handful of villians defeated in chains, haul them off to your base and put them on trial. Fun stuff like this is pretty far and few between though

Flying Dutchman

Learned

I don't think Cullens' voice actor is a reliable source.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom