Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Until next then, may the Dread Wolf take you.

—The BioWare Team

Oh yeah, fuck you too buddy!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Atlantico, your avatar reminds me of Templeton Peck of the A-Team! Cool. If only there was an A-Team RPG.... well Jagged Alliance I guess and Silentstorm might do.... customized characters or the A-TEAM MOD? Does it exist? Air Wolf Mod? Knight Rider mod?

KateMicucci

Arcane
j5tD1gEylMZZS4P_Lk5FWDh2w-UutEXv7L6VzCNFMgZzjdoLQaKaaER1AnjbGQEDH_gQ7xgejPX2ep_11pmff7ZoBZSNxaTGTRPVmlw9nyVvS_-zPF8CQmMBi7CLW0bQ3pkGE2qFokF4_h16nKsJYSAMMBW-0Z6YeWdNrYpx_qnlGN9MPbFv0GWW0A
This is pretty good as fantasy armor goes.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Atlantico, your avatar reminds me of Templeton Peck of the A-Team! Cool. If only there was an A-Team RPG.... well Jagged Alliance I guess and Silentstorm might do.... customized characters or the A-TEAM MOD? Does it exist? Air Wolf Mod? Knight Rider mod?
An A-Team RPG would be pretty damn awesome. Especially a tabletop one.
Although there probably will be some discussions about character selections. Someone will get to play as Hannibal,while another player might pick(or be selected to play as) B.A Baracus etc.

Frozen

Arcane
Am I reading this correct they are basically calling on Reddit fanart to do their work for them?

It couldn't be worse then it is but still...so fucking lazy.

KateMicucci

Arcane
This is pretty good as fantasy armor goes.
Looks like the armor on the Origins box, the one they never included in game. The close helm is cool, breastplate is shit.
I don't see anything wrong with it. The breastplate has weird aesthetics but it would be functional. Most artists draw corselets as shirts so that the wearer wouldn't be able to bend at the waist. This artist correctly drew it ending at the waist. Aesthetically I'd change some details but it isn't nearly as bad as most fantasy armor.

The breastplate has weird aesthetics but it would be functional.
It looks like part of a breastplate made for a dwarf that's been jury-rigged with straps to the middle of a man's chest. The part that should be resting on the collarbone is sitting on his pectorals, riveted to steel bands that hang from the shoulders. The lower half is a series of lames, but might as well have just been a solid piece of steel because no freedom motion is necessary there. Lastly, it looks like someone welded a spaulder atop the main plate.

All said, better than nothing, but only barely.

Gargaune

Magister
It looks like part of a breastplate made for a dwarf that's been jury-rigged with straps to the middle of a man's chest. The part that should be resting on the collarbone is sitting on his pectorals, riveted to steel bands that hang from the shoulders. The lower half is a series of lames, but might as well have just been a solid piece of steel because no freedom motion is necessary there. Lastly, it looks like someone welded a spaulder atop the main plate.

All said, better than nothing, but only barely.
Minor nitpick here, but you absolutely don't want the breastplate resting on the collarbone or it'll transfer the impact into it. The breastplate is meant to rest on the upper pectorals and the waist and nowhere else, the clavicles get covered by the pauldrons and gorget.

Other than that, I'm with you - that design's less ridiculous than your average World of Warcraft rubbish, but still too far removed from the functional medieval designs that it's supposedly trying to embellish. Actually, that particular design or something very similar to it is featured in Dragon Age: Inquisition, one of the less offensive armour sets. For some reason, nu-BioWare has an absolute aversion to plackarts, presumably warriors in Thedas live in constant fear of the macarena challenge.

Minor nitpick here, but you absolutely don't want the breastplate resting on the collarbone or it'll transfer the impact into it. The breastplate is meant to rest on the upper pectorals and the waist and nowhere else, the clavicles get covered by the pauldrons and gorget.
Sometimes but not always. Our definitions of "rest" may have been different. It sits on the collarbone. There is always some impact transference, better that there's part of a steel plate in the way, since pauldrons and gorgets were not always worn.

ump.di
1200px-Vittore_Carpaccio_-_Young_Knight_in_a_Landscape_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
dscf1562.jpg
p0bm0hpf.jpg

Gargaune

Magister
Sometimes but not always. Our definitions of "rest" may have been different. It sits on the collarbone. There is always some impact transference, better that there's part of a steel plate in the way, since pauldrons and gorgets were not always worn.

ump.di
1200px-Vittore_Carpaccio_-_Young_Knight_in_a_Landscape_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
dscf1562.jpg
p0bm0hpf.jpg
Maybe I'm generalising and it varied with design. I think it was a Knyght Errant video that brought up the point, that you'd want to relegate protecting the collarbones to some other piece of plate or mail rather than have any blow anywhere on the breastplate transfer into them, but I just don't remember anymore.

I think it was a Knyght Errant video that brought up the point
I used to watch him as well back when he still made videos, he might have been talking about how the weight should be distributed, majority at the waist rather than on the shoulders, but I have seen other breastplates in period art that do sit on the pecs as you mentioned, it's just a damned chore to finesse the algorithm past the heaps of modern fantasy armor images to find the actual period portraits.

These are the best I could do, but I've seen some pieces that sat lower. I may keep a hold of the bottom one as a character portrait.
80152fd71515b61bb1abac17e2b69f92.jpg
61-74-805x1024.jpg
Unidentified_Artist_%28German%29_-_Portrait_of_a_Man_in_Armor%2C_Circa_1540-Circa_1560%2C_1927.392.jpg

Turbo normie

Scholar
How the fuck are they able to make a videogame ? I expected Bioware to die with Anthem for fuck sake.
It seems DA:Cisquisition, Andromeda and Anthem weren't enough.

I'm already hating this shit.

Ninjerk

Arcane
How the fuck are they able to make a videogame ? I expected Bioware to die with Anthem for fuck sake.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Codex Year of the Donut

swtor prints money and is low investment, which is hilarious considering the terrible launch
anthem was killed because EA got angry that bioware kept pulling devs off of swtor to try to fix the mess

Bioware Edmonton isn't the main development studio for SWTOR.

I doubt that Edmonton has been profitable for about eight to ten years. Shutting down that woke shithole studio would be the sane thing to do. We can only speculate as to why EA is so hesitant.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
man every word, every picture every update they release reeks of soi and nu male estrogen laden fest. It is going to be the most fruity game ever released.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I ran Stable Diffusion on my rig to generate some Dragon Age: Dreadwolf neural network images
At first basic description results looked like a decent thing:
dDqxemU.png
FlRBIoz.png

But then I stated to add...specifics. With current Bioware writers and developement team. And results became much closer to actual state of things
J7gc6sH.png
fd60y8p.png

Codex Year of the Donut
swtor prints money and is low investment, which is hilarious considering the terrible launch
You have a source on that? Because from the way things look in TOR I very much doubt what you wrote is the case.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-mmo-star-wars-the-old-republic-has-made-close/1100-6471011/
Publisher Elctronic Arts announced on an earnings call that The Old Republic is now closing in on $1 billion in lifetime revenue. "Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history," EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said. "So it's a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses."
that's from 2019 before their very successful steam launch btw

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom