Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II Shorter And More Cinematic

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Are you fukkin 'idiot?

burn

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Oh you joke now but the truth is that there are probably more than a few hentai games with more dialog and character development than Dragon Age 2.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
sgc_meltdown said:
Oh you joke now but the truth is that there are probably more than a few hentai games with more dialog and character development than Dragon Age 2.
I'm quite certain of that actually, and with more believable story too and better combat. Yet they manage to be more welcoming than DA2.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Oh yeah? Why don't hentai games have more DLC then? Do the developers hate their players?

a tr00 otaku will come in and hit me with his kamen rider belts or something now and explain that hentai games have had dlc for twenty years

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Speaking of hentai, Bioware might want to consider that direction if their fanbase continues asking for better romances :M

Relay

Educated
• 400,000 Words
• 2,500 Cinematics

Less words spoken but more cinematics ? I got it, DA2 is a festival of staring contests. Biowhore must have been influenced by the japanese mangaka.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
No, the cinematic dialogs are more concise, more to the point.

Another wave!
They are everyhwere!
We gotta keep moving.

Coyote

Arcane
deus101 said:
Only reason why BG2 had import feature was so you could get the golden pantoloons. :M

Come to think of it, I only imported my BG character once. What happened if you had killed off Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, etc.?

(My guess is "nothing", especially considering Imoen's role in the story, but did they at least try to explain why characters you had offed were alive and happily traipsing around the country with their killer?)

Relay said:
• 400,000 Words
• 2,500 Cinematics

Less words spoken but more cinematics ? I got it, DA2 is a festival of staring contests. Biowhore must have been influenced by the japanese mangaka.

About that...

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... 6339028/14

John Epler said:
user said:
]cinematic substitutions instead of dialogue choices and gameplay length, etc, in my opinion, makes the game more linear and less personal. Im specfulating of course until the game comes out and i hope im wrong.

Actually, the way we do our cinematics, the writers go in, write everything, and then the cinematics guys go in and turn certain lines into cutscenes - if we feel something needs emphasis, we'll do some camera trickery, animation timing, character movement, that sort of thing.

You're still getting the same amount of dialogue and writing as you otherwise would, only we try to make it more visually interesting, and where we can - we show instead of tell. Saying 'HE IS GOING CRAZY' is a less effective narrative technique than showing he's going crazy with the use of things such as hitchcock zooms, camera tilts and specific gestures.

'Cinematics', in this case, rarely refers to the traditional lengthy non-interactive cutscene, but rather responses and dialogues that are in the game either way, just in this case we add a little extra polish to make the important moments feel important.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
how could I ever feel the full impact of bioware's dramatic storytelling without the camera using the full technological advantage that a modern 3d engine has given

I remember what it was like before cinematic dialog, everyone had to read text and as anyone who read a book can tell you it was a very ineffective narrative technique indeed

turul

Augur
You're still getting the same amount of dialogue and writing as you otherwise would, only we try to make it more visually interesting, and where we can - we show instead of tell.

2zylqvc.jpg

dragon-age-2-20110112105209787.jpg

Dragon-Age-2-Demo-Flemeth-Sexy-2.jpg

Dragon-Age-2-DLC-Samsung-Tablet-Giveaway-IGN-Daily-Fix-01.07.jpg

screenshot20110223053103274.jpg

Page_1.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Oh you joke now but the truth is that there are probably more than a few hentai games with more dialog and character development than Planescape Torment.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Why are the character textures still so very very low-res? Hey Bioware, it's not 2005 anymore.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Volourn said:
Oh you joke now but the truth is that there are probably more than a few hentai games with more dialog and character development than Planescape Torment.

Wow. Volly, this sentence is wrong. It lacks typing errors and misspells!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Kosmonaut said:
Volourn said:

But it gives insight into Volly's true tastes. I think we should ask the "pretty" princess about hentai.

sgc_meltdown said:
I remember what it was like before cinematic dialog, everyone had to read text and as anyone who read a book can tell you it was a very ineffective narrative technique indeed

Then again, gaming is a visual medium. While it works for an isometric game, it gets weird for DA's 3d characters blankly staring at each other while there's a "You notice the smuggler is getting agitated" note on the bottom of the screen. His explanation sounds reasonable - whether they managed to do that effectively is another matter.

The demo isn't very promising about that - when your brother dies, mom goes to his corpse and goes on a "oh my son, I can't lose you now" spiel. Looks corny and could be avoided by making her look desperate and panicked.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Clockwork Knight said:
The demo isn't very promising about that - when your brother dies, mom goes to his corpse and goes on a "oh my son, I can't lose you now" spiel. Looks corny and could be avoided by making her look desperate and panicked.
I don't think the DA2 engine is up to the task. Maybe an engine with more advanced facial animation.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Shannow said:
Kosmonaut said:
Volourn said:

But it gives insight into Volly's true tastes. I think we should ask the "pretty" princess about hentai.

Ask me about anime?

ortucis said:
First Mass Effect, then this (what sucks is that if you don't import your own save game in ME, you get BioWare's shitty version of the story where half of the encounters never happened and you killed important, few good, characters as well).
Just a heads up, there's unofficial savegames available online. These are likely the only hopes of dealing with that particular problem and honestly, it's not too shaby.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Xor said:
Speaking of hentai, Bioware might want to consider that direction if their fanbase continues asking for better romances :M

When their fanbaase asks for "better romances", they mean "We want to see everyone get triple penetrated on screen by the characters of our choice". Throw them one of the hentai games where you can easily import textures/models and they would declare it the best cinematic RPG experience of the decade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom