Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II: Timeline of Thedas

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Gameinformer continues to inform us. This time you may learn something about the <a href="http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/14/dragon-age-ii-timeline-of-thedas.aspx" target="_blank">epic historical events</a> in the Dragon Age Universe.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Dragon Age II has gamers wondering what the future holds for BioWare's fantasy epic, but some answers can be found by examining the past. The developer has mapped out centuries of history for Thedas (the continent where the Dragon Age series takes place), and these excerpts from BioWare's timeline contain several clues as to central themes and key locations you'll explore in the series' next entry.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>1195 Ancient Times:</strong> By magic and steel, Darinius seized the great city of Minrathous and declared himself Archon &ndash; both king and high enchanter.&nbsp;Those who supported him became Magisters, mage-lords of the realm. At Darinius&rsquo; command, they conquered all neighboring lands and the rise of the Tevinter Imperium in Thedas began.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98764-dragon-age-ii-timeline-of-thedas.html">GB</a></p>

Quilty

Magister
Konjad said:
STEEL BE WITH YOU BRO

I still can't believe this. It's so fucking ridiculous a monkey on crack wouldn't come up with it.

dragonfk

Erudite
Konjad said:
BioWare's fantasy epic

WOOHOO!!! SAY THAT AGAIN!

BioWare's fantasy epic

OH YEAH THAT'S SO COOL OH MAN DO YOU FEEL IT?

By magic and steel

STEEL BE WITH YOU BRO

they conquered all neighboring lands and the rise of the Tevinter Imperium in Thedas began.

GUYS I THINK THIS IS NEW REICH! HEIL DARINIUS! HE'S A COOL BRO

Spot on comments. How did you come up with these? :M

Phelot

Arcane
This is what millions of dollars can come up with: First nothing happened then someone with a mighty name conquers the world and establishes the Roman Empire...

Then every 200 years something else happened that was epic.

Phelot

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
Gaider just needs to choke on a hamburger and die so that his shitty writing can't ruin any more computer games.

I don't think it's his fault. At least not entirely. Bioware games are just simple story wise. They always have clear, solid writing, but it's always just completely boring. I tried out both DA and ME and it was just simply boring. You know what? Maybe they just shouldn't of had that much writing, I don't know. Never tried ME2 nor do I think I'll try DA2. Just don't like their games and that's a shame...

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
ME2 is a substantial improvement over 1 in the writing department. There are still facepalm moments, but they are far, far less common. Plus I found Miranda's Aussie accent absolutely intoxicating.

Phelot

Arcane
ME2 is a substantial improvement over 1 in the writing department. There are still facepalm moments, but they are far, far less common. Plus I found Miranda's Aussie accent absolutely intoxicating.

Nope! Not gonna happen. I'm done with that company. I've heard far too many times that their games are "actually not that bad!" and I ain't falling for it again.

Last one of their games I enjoyed was BG2.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
phelot said:

Nope! Not gonna happen. I'm done with that company. I've heard far too many times that their games are "actually not that bad!" and I ain't falling for it again.

After BG2 only two things really worth checking out is HotU and ME2, seriously try them.

bhlaab

Erudite
When in the timeline do all the environment textures disappear between Dragon Age 1 and 2

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ME2 is a substantial improvement over 1 in the writing department.
Not really, they both have the same amount of facepalm-inducing writing. It's just that ME1's is all over the place whereas ME2's is concentrated into everything to do with the main plot. The good thing is that you go through large portions of the game thinking to yourself "Gee, the writing's pretty good". The flip side is that, once you reach the scenes with the Collectors, the sheer concentration of dumbfuckery will break your brain.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I was hoping the sequel would be more planescapy and focus on the Golden city and such and such.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
markec said:
phelot said:

After BG2 only two things really worth checking out is HotU and ME2, seriously try them.

No, you're wrong. It's HotU and Witch's Wake worth checking out. Bioware made shiny, small gem called Witch's Wake and then collapsed into the black hole of retardation.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dragonfk said:
Konjad said:
BioWare's fantasy epic

WOOHOO!!! SAY THAT AGAIN!

BioWare's fantasy epic

OH YEAH THAT'S SO COOL OH MAN DO YOU FEEL IT?

By magic and steel

STEEL BE WITH YOU BRO

they conquered all neighboring lands and the rise of the Tevinter Imperium in Thedas began.

GUYS I THINK THIS IS NEW REICH! HEIL DARINIUS! HE'S A COOL BRO

Spot on comments. How did you come up with these? :M

THATS BECAUSE OF MY SUPERINTELLIGENCE I GOT AFTER CONSUMING MASTER :M IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN BRO

Texas Red

Whiner
I'm glad someone is finally making epic games. I'm so fucking tired of non epic games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gaider just needs to choke on a hamburger and die so that his shitty writing can't ruin any more computer games.

Jebus SMA, did Gaider also rape and kill your entire family like he did to Warden?

Tycn

Savant
That accent is the most annoying and out of place thing ever and it made the horrible writing even more noticeable.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
phelot said:

I don't think it's his fault. At least not entirely. Bioware games are just simple story wise. They always have clear, solid writing, but it's always just completely boring. I tried out both DA and ME and it was just simply boring. You know what? Maybe they just shouldn't of had that much writing, I don't know. Never tried ME2 nor do I think I'll try DA2. Just don't like their games and that's a shame...

DA has way too much writing and it's all boring fluff about a world and character you don't care about, that's what sucks. ME 2 hasn't bored me so far.

Drakron

Arcane
Well I have to agree,

ME2 writing is "safer", there is barely anything you do not expect but its well pulled unlike ME1 that had terrible writing.

But ME2 did rape ME1, Liara despite being a 10 second romance with cringe dialog (it even managed to make me gag reflex) was a cute innocent librarian and ME2 turned her into a revenge seeking psycho as it seems ANOTHER character had to fill that archetype (guess who?) and the Krogan that looked to be the "proud warrior race" in ME1 ended up exactly that in ME2 (Grunt was such a boring character).

Dragon Age was just BORING, at least ME1 managed to make me want ti throw up with the god awful dialog, not make me wonder why the fuck I even playing it as Dragon Age did.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What's hialrious is that you'll be whining about the same thing after DA2 just like you did with NWN, JE, ME, DA, and ME2. LMFAO

See a opattern here?

Stop playing fuckin' shitty BIO games. FFS

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Jaesun said:

Jebus SMA, did Gaider also rape and kill your entire family like he did to Warden?

No, I just see Gaider as the symbol of all that's wrong with Bioware, a developer which, prior to the release of NWN 1, I had absolutely loved. Hence, all the rage for my lost friend gets focused into berating our favorite hotel night manager turned video game writer.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Tycn said:
That accent is the most annoying and out of place thing ever and it made the horrible writing even more noticeable.

Wut? Aussie accents are wonderful; you don't appreciate it because you live around it and take it for granted. Any chick with an Aussie accent immediately jumps up at least 2 rungs on the hotness ladder. What was so out of place about an Aussie accent? Dr. Sakwas had a British accent, and as I recall the existing nations of Earth are still around at the time of the games, so an Aussie accent wouldn't be inconceivable.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Drakron said:
Well I have to agree,

ME2 writing is "safer", there is barely anything you do not expect but its well pulled unlike ME1 that had terrible writing.

But ME2 did rape ME1, Liara despite being a 10 second romance with cringe dialog (it even managed to make me gag reflex) was a cute innocent librarian and ME2 turned her into a revenge seeking psycho as it seems ANOTHER character had to fill that archetype (guess who?) and the Krogan that looked to be the "proud warrior race" in ME1 ended up exactly that in ME2 (Grunt was such a boring character).

I haven't read it but apparently there is a short comic series explaining what happened to Liara while Shepard was being reanimated. It might satisfactorily explain why she got all hard and dangerous during the intervening two years, although I kind of doubt it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom