Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age II Won't Be Dumbed Down

Korgan

Arbiter
This shit is literally worse than Hitler.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
commie said:
On topic, why does VoD keep posting such shit?

He is merely the Three Dog of the post-RPG wasteland reporting on the heroic exploits of the lone designers. What adventures will these men and women tell us about next?

Because it allows us to rant and roar like true British sailors.

Seriously though, why not? It is amusing even if it is sad. And it often produces some decent arguing as well.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
It just struck me what this shit is

This is NO GAMER LEFT BEHIND, where RPG adventures are made to welcome gamers of any skill level whatsoever. The best RPG with the highest amount of gamers coming onto it will naturally be determined by sales figures. Having proved itself, the design traits of the most welcoming RPG will then be distributed across companies to ensure an universal standardized level of roleplaying skill for all gamers is reached. This is a new beginning for all of us.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
deuxhero said:
Why doesn't Bioware just start making vusal novels?

And make it compulsary for their fans to read? Do you not know what welcoming is here, boy? It means they're welcome not to read.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
sgc_meltdown said:
commie said:

He is merely the Three Dog of the post-RPG wasteland reporting on the heroic exploits of the lone designers. What adventures will these men and women tell us about next?

[Intelligence] So he fights the good fight with his text?

Hawke

Novice
The hate on this game is incredible. Anyway, while you guys sit here crying over how these games are dumbed down, I'll be owning ass in yet another great RPG <---- made by BioWare.

Btw, that says RPG. A true RPG. :smug:

Baron

Arcane
Bros, I'm 36. My first game was Wizardry I (Apple IIc) and I've played every cRPG and PnP I could get my dorkish hands on since then; it's been a hell of a ride. Yet there's not a day goes by that I don't shake with fury that game designers are pitching their games at children.

It is insanity itself that my demographic, whilst minute, is not the one targeted by game developers. Just imagine the game produced by focusing on those with a quarter of a century of accumulated RPG experience! If the issue of video games and art is to be settled then designers necessarily must focus on quality, not quantity of sales.

That the technology that necessitated turn based text combat has been long surpassed is no reason that melee combat should be upgraded to more closely resemble actual combat as attempted in Mass Effect and The Witcher. Pure RPG skirmishes should take days, they should be isometric (so that I may enjoy the same close bond with my characters as I do a chess piece), and they are unchanging, a lot like my social life; a beer, a Friday night, and Deep Thought, my faithful desktop, from where I keep fighting the crusade on the 'Dex.

A) Attack
D) Defend
R) Retreat

Truthfully, it's all been in decline since we lost the wireframed walls. :(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Baron said:
Bros, I'm 36. My first game was Wizardry I (Apple IIc) and I've played every cRPG and PnP I could get my dorkish hands on since then; it's been a hell of a ride. Yet there's not a day goes by that I don't shake with fury that game designers are pitching their games at children.

It is insanity itself that my demographic, whilst minute, is not the one targeted by game developers. Just imagine the game produced by focusing on those with a quarter of a century of accumulated RPG experience! If the issue of video games and art is to be settled then designers necessarily must focus on quality, not quantity of sales.

That the technology that necessitated turn based text combat has been long surpassed is no reason that melee combat should be upgraded to more closely resemble actual combat as attempted in Mass Effect and The Witcher. Pure RPG skirmishes should take days, they should be isometric (so that I may enjoy the same close bond with my characters as I do a chess piece), and they are unchanging, a lot like my social life; a beer, a Friday night, and Deep Thought, my faithful desktop, from where I keep fighting the crusade on the 'Dex.

A) Attack
D) Defend
R) Retreat

:salute:

mondblut

Arcane
Hawke said:
Anyway, while you guys sit here crying over how these games are dumbed down, I'll be owning ass in yet another great RPG <---- made by BioWare.

A fool and his 50$ are easily parted.

Can't you know a racing game when you see one?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Baron said:

A) Attack
D) Defend
R) Retreat

At least in Germany I've seen statistics that place the average gamer at around 30 years old.
So aiming their games at the age group (14-20) that has the least disposable income, is the most prone to "pirate" and has the worst taste in everything is plain stupid. They don't make as much profit as they could and they'll make shitty games that should give them nightmares if they had anything resembling a conscience. So why do we get them? Because suits make the decisions. Suits are the morons that gave us the financial crisis. And the suits in the gaming industry are by and large only there because they were too dumb to get into the financial bizness :M

Hawke said:
The hate on this game is incredible. Anyway, while you guys sit here crying over how these games are dumbed down, I'll be owning ass in yet another great RPG <---- made by BioWare.

You had me fooled for a minute there! But when you added 'true RPG' next to 'DA2' I worked out you must be one of the Origins refugees, who are on this forum to see Laidlaw die for his crimes.

(you were kidding, right?)

Cynic

Arcane
Befuddled Halfling said:
Mangoose said:
It's funny that when he tried to get fanboys to invade the Codecks all we got were DAO refugees a la the Oblivion exodus.

What? Was there some appeal on the Bio forums to spread the word to the heathen or the Codex (or any other place)? That would reek of desparation.

The only step in DA2 that's potentially in the right direction is the framed narrative and 10 year span that lets you see consequences play out (instead of the shitty slideshow epilogue of origins).

Other than that, I wonder why he's even going to the effort of denying that DA2's been dumbed down. The Mass Effect crowd will love that. The retards who found Origins too much to handle and quit after the Ogre of Ishaal fight will love that. The fans who loved Origins but pretended to boycott DA2 (while manically posting on the bioforums), will find their willpower breaks around March 13, at which point they will cave in to the calling and tiptoe meekly over to their local gamespot. The Bio fanbois will love anything that comes out of Laidlaw's ass, dumbed down, streamlined or whatever. So why is Laidlaw even trying here?

This is the thing. Why the fuck do they try to hide their bs motives while actually back handing people who actually like to, at least mildly, think while playing games? Why the fuck, don't they just man up and have the guts to say:

"We aim to let :retarded: play and finish the game, no matter what kind of :retarded: problems they have. I'm talking recovering lobotomy patients all the way to complete vegetables here. Why should they be excluded from playing RPGs?"

I mean FUCK

deuxhero said:
Why doesn't Bioware just start making vusal novels?
Their target audience doesn't like to read, hell, they even hate silent PC, because they're forced to read and comprehend dialog lines.

Also, they doesn't want 2D - they want a glorious 3D, like in the movies, with shitton of enemies and explosions. They want to effortlessly defeat great numbers of enemies by pressing "A" button and feel like heroes. And they want cutscenes between fightan, where they could talk about feeelings, with two cosmetic choices.

Hawke

Novice
Befuddled Halfling said:
Hawke said:

You had me fooled for a minute there! But when you added 'true RPG' next to 'DA2' I worked out you must be one of the Origins refugees, who are on this forum to see Laidlaw die for his crimes.

Crimes? You mean designing fantastic RPGs? I GUFFAWED heartily.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not on Codex for long enough to be sure, but is this guy a Drog alt?

If that's the case....'sup Drog. :smug:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Hawke said:
Befuddled Halfling said:
Hawke said:

0/10

didn't GUFFAW

Hawke said:
Befuddled Halfling said:
Hawke said:

You mean 'awesome' RPGs. So ... you, um, liked the demo, then?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Baron said:

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp
The average game player is 34 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 40 years old.
They don't make them for kids (there are quite a few kids' games that offer more challenge than Bioware has), they make them for the Vogels of the world, adult children with busy lives who'd prefer not to have a frustrating time. In the words of the man himself, "Now I am old and slow and I think games just get too darn hard, so the ability to instantly freeze and obliterate everyone is awesome. In my fantasy world, I don't want to be a loser who is incapable of ever succeeding." Add in a virtual husband/wife and you have a temporary relief to the mid-life blues.

Hawke

Novice
Befuddled Halfling said:
Hawke said:
Befuddled Halfling said:
Hawke said:

Why ever would you think that? I just wanked it for no reason.

Mrowak

Arcane
Hawke said:
Befuddled Halfling said:
Hawke said:
Befuddled Halfling said:
Hawke said:

Why ever would you think that? I just wanked it for no reason.

0/10 :rpgcodex:

You are not even trying, but in case my troll detector is messing with me today...

I just wanked it for no reason.

Nice Freudian slip out there. Seems to me Biowhore's mawkish, banal, shit, boring romance sims for depressed housewives are for the likes of you.

J_C said:
I'm not on Codex for long enough to be sure, but is this guy a Drog alt?

If that's the case....'sup Drog. :smug:
You're learning fast, newfag :smug:

I didn't get the drog vibe however, more like bioware skirmisher - rpgcodex has gotten some press over on the bioware social network so he's probably gonna troll us some back.

Mrowak

Arcane
herostratus said:
I didn't get the drog vibe however, more like bioware skirmisher - rpgcodex has gotten some press over on the bioware social network so he's probably gonna troll us some back.

Figures...

Shame he won't last here, they never do (maybe apart from Volly)... Lack of a decent attention span, you see...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom