Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age impressions

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by baronjohn, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    I wouldn't say the graphis are 'weak'; but they definitely aren't great. It says a lot when a gam,e like JE - released 4 years ago on the original xbox has better graphics than DA yet both are devloped by the same company.

I don't see many (if any bujgs) than again I'm on console and consoles tend to avoid bugs.

What does 'risible' mean?

I'd say the fantasy world is your basic fantasy world, but generic is probably a really harsh, unflattering, and not super accurate way of putting it. It's definitely familiar, and there's nothing 'unique' about the fantasy it uses but 'generic' is too much of a generic word to really mean anything.

^ Top  
  2. Imbecile Arbiter

Imbecile
    Good to know.

Edit: Risible means funny, but not in a good way :P

^ Top  
  3. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    laughable

^ Top  
  4. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    thanks.

^ Top  
  5. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Didn't you claim that you uninstalled the game when you reached the first location on the world map?

I think the Witcher was boring as fuck, way too heavy on the railroading side, held my hand so tight I had bruises, and I had to force myself to play it, but you don't see me calling it shit, do you?

Sounds too me that you tried too hard not to find them interesting. To what high standards do you compare the party members? PST? What else? Fallout? Wizardry? For fuck's sakes... The party members help you fight/explore. If you don't want to talk to them, don't talk to them. You have plenty of different NPCs, I'm pretty fucking sure you can find 2 you can actually like (if you stop role-playing someone you never were before). Some party members I like a lot (like Sten), some I don't like, which is how it should be.

It took you 8 hours to play through the origin, the tower battle, and the small village? Really? The game has a slow start, that's true, but it doesn't take 8 hours to reach the world map and at this point every retard should know that the quality goes way, way up after the slow part is done.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... l#msg37241

"Anyway, the elves tell you that they can't stick with the treaty because they have a problem with werewolves and as a result most warriors are wounded and would most likely die or turn into beasts. So, if you really want their help, I need to help them (as expected). Being somewhat disappointed by the "kill werewolves" quest, I went to the forest, killed some beasts and soon ran into a welcome party. A werewolf named Swiftrunner and his two buddies told me to turn back, pointed out that I know shit, possibly less, and that I am being manipulated. It looks like Swiftrunner has a big issue with the Dalish elves and it goes a lot deeper than some recent attacks. Well, that's a relief.
    When you finally reach the lair, you're told that the curse was originally created by Zathrian, the elven leader who sent you to end it. The Lady (the 'wolves leader) wants to talk to Zathrian to convince him to lift the curse. Your options are:

- stick with the original deal, kill the Lady (very tough fight) and all werewolves, bring her heart to Zathrian
    - try to help the Lady, bring her to Zathrian, who refuses to lift up the curse and starts a fight. After a battle when he's dying, talk to him and he'll lift the curse, which kills both him and the Lady. The elves pick a new keeper (leader).
    - if you have high Persuasion, convince the Lady to attack the elves and assist her. The elves ended up dead, but the Lady promises you her werewolves to aid you in the final battle."

Bad options? Bad design?

Cool Kid Achievement unlocked! Congrats.

^ Top  
  6. made Arcane

made
    Pretty much spot on.

For a story and dialogue driven game the story and dialogue are overall extremely poor. I find myself skipping like 70% of the text, but luckily the game has enough redeeming qualities to make up for it.

^ Top  
  7. Silellak Cipher

Silellak
    It's pretty clear that Dragon Age was meant to be viewed and played primarily from an isometric perspective. From there, it is - at times - almost as pretty as an Infinity Engine game. Not always, but sometimes, which is an impressive enough achievement for me.

Once you go into OTS mode though (which consoles are locked in), it sort of falls apart. The game just isn't pretty enough up-close to compete with most modern games, so I understand why reviewers gave the game a hard time when talking about the console graphics. I'm okay with that though, because I only use OTS when taking in a new area. Otherwise it's isometric all the way - the way it was clearly meant to be. I'm also pretty sure they used NWN2 as a reference on "how NOT to implement a 3D camera in an RPG."

Performance wise, the game runs like a dream. My rig can handle Witcher and NWN2 on max settings, but it still struggles when things start getting too chaotic. No such trouble in DA. I'll take smooth, consistent performance over graphic quality any day of the week.

I dunno, the world is generic on the surface, but there's clearly been a lot of love into it and some of the ideas you find - if you dig deeper - are pretty original from what I've seen. I also must have retardedly low standards, because I have no issue with the characters, voice acting, or writing. Also, I haven't encountered more than a handful of bugs - the experience so far has been incredibly polished.

^ Top  
  8. relootz Scholar

relootz
    Well i didnt have healing yet at that point but i do know.

The game does seem to be a bit unbalanced in the area of opponentdesign, i am currently stuck trying to catch the werewolves becauses in the lair the 8 skeletons that come at me are just too much.

The game doesnt appear to have a good build up in difficulty. The first opponents are stupidly easy, the bosses very hard but now the mobs are very hard too. That last part could be because of level scaling. There should be a more gradual buildup.

I am enoying the game though, i just dont like it when i have to stop a quest because it is too difficult and i need to level up.

^ Top  
  9. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    And why should have I persisted? There's zero guarantee that the darkspawn will get explained properly. After all, Bio didn't tell what the Reapers' motivations in ME were, saving them for the sequel instead.
    Why are you so ticked off about my choice of words?
    KotOR and JE.
    Don't like some content, pretend it's not there?
    I checked the DA wiki. None of the companions seemed interesting.
    Really. Didn't skip any voice acting, read every codex entry, spent a lot of time browsing shops.
    How am I supposed to know that the slow part's over?
    It really does sounds good. Not good enough to make up for the soulless setting, unfortunately.
    I'm not trying to be cool. Want some proof? HEY, EVERYONE, I REALLY, REALLY LOVED NWN 2 OC, REPLAYED IT TWICE AND PROBABLY WILL REPLAY IT AGAIN THIS YEAR!

^ Top  
  10. Emotional Vampire Arbiter

Emotional Vampire
    Why do you blame me for your shortcomings?

^ Top  
  11. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    I actually had a funny moment where I was facing off against Kolgrim, and during the dialogue I could only see the top of his head due to my MASSIVE SHOULDER ARMOR OF POEWR!!!1!

^ Top  
  12. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "becauses in the lair the 8 skeletons"

fUCK. I hate them bastards. Thgis is the time the difficulty seemed to go into overdrive. Now, almost every battle is tough. L0LZ

"game doesnt appear to have a good build up in difficulty. The first opponents are stupidly easy, the bosses very hard but now the mobs are very hard too. That last part could be because of level scaling. There should be a more gradual buildup. "

I don't think the level sclaing is the problem. The problem here is that pretty much every opponent has a knockdown/stun type of talent so when you are facing 6+, yopu pretty much gonna have one of your characters constantly stunned/being useless. There's no way that I know off that you can constantly repeatly resist these special attacks.

Urghj.

^ Top  
  13. relootz Scholar

relootz
    ^ what difficulty are you playing Volourn? Also does anyone have a notion what the difference is between difficulties?

^ Top  
  14. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Hard.. ... and, for me, it lives up to its name. L0L

^ Top  
  15. relootz Scholar

relootz
    Same allthough most of the time its only the special encounters that are hard. What level did you face those 8 skeletons at? I am currently level 8.

^ Top  
  16. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Level 7-8. I'm level 8-9 now. I'm not that far past them myself. I just worked my way back into the actual werewolf lair (the whole purpose of being there heh).

Before the dragon, I didn't find the game supe rhard. Challenging at times, yes, but that's it. Now, every battle is a chore to get through (not counting fights with like 3 random skeles as that's nothing).

^ Top  
  17. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Do rest of your "party members" level up along with you, even though they are hanging around campfire?

^ Top  
  18. relootz Scholar

relootz
    I believe so yes.

^ Top  
  19. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Vault Dweller is trying to hard to win ITS Cool Points by throwing the "Codex Cool Points" mantra around.

^ Top  
  20. Silellak Cipher

Silellak
    Just sucks that you're stuck playing on a console. I can't imagine it's anywhere near the same experience. If you get a chance, play it through again on the PC some time in the future - it just seems like the OTS view doesn't do the game or the combat justice.

^ Top  
  21. Jaime Lannister Arbiter

Jaime Lannister
    is this game having potato truck

^ Top  
  22. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Kodex Kool Kunts

^ Top  
  23. Demnogonis Saastuttaja Magister

Demnogonis Saastuttaja
    There are no codex cool points since it's not an actual stat, that's just larping. There's only post count an join date.

^ Top  
  24. Gay-Lussac Arcane

Gay-Lussac
    The companions are funny.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.