Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age must sell 2 million copies

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
treave said:
Also, filthy pirates are killing the gaming industry by taking what they want (Modern Warfare 2, for example) without paying for it.

WRONG. Some of us want to play the "demo" first, we are not fucking rich to trow our money on every piece of shitty game every month, cry more bitch.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
treave said:
Also, filthy pirates are killing the gaming industry by taking what they want (Modern Warfare 2, for example) without paying for it.

:lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
godsend1989 said:
treave said:

WRONG. Some of us want to play the "demo" first, we are not fucking rich to trow our money on every piece of shitty game every month, cry more bitch.

That's why PC gaming is dying, because you can't afford to throw money at the developers. So they cater to real hardcore gamers who CAN afford to - the console gamers. You have only yourself to blame for giving EA and Activision what they deserve.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
treave said:
godsend1989 said:
treave said:

That's why PC gaming is dying, because you can't afford to throw money at the developers. So they cater to real hardcore gamers who CAN afford to - the console gamers. You have only yourself to blame for giving EA and Activision what they deserve.

i'd say 8.5/10

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Lesifoere said:
treave said:

LOL. Did you miss the thread where the 360 version of DA was leaked on torrents one day before the PC one? Retard.

No, I didn't miss it. Actually, I posted there!

treave said:
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Why'd they delay the PC version so that it could simultaneously release with the console versions, again?

At any rate, rampant piracy of Xbox360 games is happening in lots of places outside the States, because us people there don't give a flying fuck about Xbox Live.

Trithne

Erudite
If games companies still made demos you'd actually see less piracy. Pirates are not the problem. Games companies and their owning publishers are, by making formulaic games with no content and relying purely on marketing to get their sales. Instead of making good games, make crap and sell it to the LCD. And the 'hardcore' gamers who "can afford to throw money at them" are just making the problem worse. They won't keep at it forever. We're watching the games industry die all over again, for the exact same reasons it died last time.

YourConscience

Scholar
Xor said:
Hardcore games are getting harder to sell, so companies are cutting back on the more "experimental" offerings they used to release - the kinds of games that are usually underfunded wannabe shit, but can sometimes be really good. Psychonauts comes to mind as an example. There's no way in hell a publisher would take a chance on that game in the industry today, it's just too out there.

That is just plain wrong. In absolute numbers, they still sell anything between 10.000 and 500.000 copies like they did in the ninetees, depending on how well the production values are. What has changed is that the companies think that without an overpriced 3D engine and corresponding amount of 3D models and textures the game won't sell at all. Also the much higher sales numbers on the consoles induce the illusion that the market has grown and relatively, the PC marked has really shrinked. But not really. These big companies are getting proved wrong by the smaller companies over and over again (see SotS, SoaSE, paradox games, etc.). What has also changed is that the big companies think that only teens buy games, whereas the real market of paying people is with people who actually have money to spend, those 25 years or older.

It's also mostly teens who pirate, because they only have barely enough money for their alcohol excesses, with alcohol being much harder to pirate than games... Someone with a job and a family doesn't want to hassle with cracks, patches, cracks for patches, etc. in his one hour of free time that he has left between the job, taking care of family and some sleep. He simply buys a game and expects it to be entertaining. And here is the third misconception in the industry: People do have only perhaps an hour to play. But the wrong conclusion is to assume that they want to play some flat, quick game in that time. No, grown-up gamers want a game that they can look forward throughout the day of playing one more hour of. Something that catches their imagination even when not playing it. Only more interesting games do that (Civilization, BG, etc.) which either have interesting story lines or other overarching mechanisms that last from one gaming session to the next.

In essence, this is the same as with books. Only because we can't read a book in an hour or two doesn't mean that books went extinct. Quite contrary, despite the advent of computer entertainment, books still exist and they still take at least 8-10 hours to read through. And life is still more bearable when you are working, but looking forward to the evening when you'll proceed in that one very interesting book you are currently reading.[/b]

aries202

Erudite
Bioware isn't in any Danger yet - the Steam version of the game tops the chart;another website has DA: Origins as # 4 in the Top 10 chart this week.

2 million copies for all platforms will easily be reached....this goal could even have been reached by now....

Fernando Melo (a bioware dev) mentioned in his apology letter that they looked at Spore's numbers - and doubles those. They even had a Plan B --- by the time the game was out or maybe 1 or 2 days later, the PLan B's goals were reached.

This is proof that you can sell a somewhat hardcore rpg - even today....

EA seems to be shifting its financial and gaming focus from retail games to social gaming sites l(like the browser games that are on Facebook etc). In this light it makes sense to fire 1500 people - and invest in Playfish, the company that makes
social games.

Also, the DA Steam version beeing # 1 foreshadows a future where games will become something we buy and legally download.

aboyd said:
I don't understand. How would the C&C people continue to work on the game after this? I mean, people might give it a token minimum effort, but wouldn't the employer have to acknowledge that the game is probably doomed? Every developer will be focused on getting his or her résumé out the door. Nobody will feel loyalty to the company or project.

Wouldn't that mean tying your name to a shit game?

Black

Arcane
Let's hope it won't and they'll close the makers of BABY'S FIRST RPGs.

Black said:
Let's hope it won't and they'll close the makers of BABY'S FIRST RPGs.

Sadly enough, almost all the other mainstream 'rpgs' these days are more dumbed down that Dragon Age. Bioware isn't even in the same league of crapness as Bethesda, not even close. If Bioware went, then Bethesda would be viewed by the industry as the indisputed king of rpgs:-(. They'd compare DA's failure to FO3's massive financial success, and would decide that the Bethesda model is the only way to go.

YourConscience said:
Xor said:
Hardcore games are getting harder to sell, so companies are cutting back on the more "experimental" offerings they used to release - the kinds of games that are usually underfunded wannabe shit, but can sometimes be really good. Psychonauts comes to mind as an example. There's no way in hell a publisher would take a chance on that game in the industry today, it's just too out there.

That is just plain wrong. In absolute numbers, they still sell anything between 10.000 and 500.000 copies like they did in the ninetees, depending on how well the production values are. What has changed is that the companies think that without an overpriced 3D engine and corresponding amount of 3D models and textures the game won't sell at all. Also the much higher sales numbers on the consoles induce the illusion that the market has grown and relatively, the PC marked has really shrinked. But not really. These big companies are getting proved wrong by the smaller companies over and over again (see SotS, SoaSE, paradox games, etc.). What has also changed is that the big companies think that only teens buy games, whereas the real market of paying people is with people who actually have money to spend, those 25 years or older.

It's also mostly teens who pirate, because they only have barely enough money for their alcohol excesses, with alcohol being much harder to pirate than games... Someone with a job and a family doesn't want to hassle with cracks, patches, cracks for patches, etc. in his one hour of free time that he has left between the job, taking care of family and some sleep. He simply buys a game and expects it to be entertaining. And here is the third misconception in the industry: People do have only perhaps an hour to play. But the wrong conclusion is to assume that they want to play some flat, quick game in that time. No, grown-up gamers want a game that they can look forward throughout the day of playing one more hour of. Something that catches their imagination even when not playing it. Only more interesting games do that (Civilization, BG, etc.) which either have interesting story lines or other overarching mechanisms that last from one gaming session to the next.

In essence, this is the same as with books. Only because we can't read a book in an hour or two doesn't mean that books went extinct. Quite contrary, despite the advent of computer entertainment, books still exist and they still take at least 8-10 hours to read through. And life is still more bearable when you are working, but looking forward to the evening when you'll proceed in that one very interesting book you are currently reading.[/b]

This

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
treave said:

Yes. Of course. I always forget how the movie and music-industry are dying.

Sorry sister, but you ain't all there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"If games companies still made demos you'd actually see less piracy. "

Bullshit. Thieves are theives and they always some lazy excuse on why they did. Being 'poor' is no excuse. These are games. You don't need them. If you cna't afford a game, then guess what? GTFO

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anything that turns from a labor of love into purely a money making venture will greatly suffer in quality.

My opinion is mainstream games have been pretty much the same game for the last 7 or 8 years now and Im getting to the point where I dont buy many releases anymore.

Honestly I have more fun playing Ultima V with its tiled graphics than the majority of EPIC 3D modern games.

IF the industry dies out for the big companies, my hope is that some smaller more indy like studio's will open up.

If you have a team of like 4 or 5 people I think you can make a more specialized game since it wouldn't have to sell as much to be succesfull.

I wish we could see a return of some studios making 2D games as well and not spend so much time on 3D graphics.

So, I hope this could actually be a good thing.

Curois

Novice
Volourn said:

Bullshit. Thieves are theives and they always some lazy excuse on why they did. Being 'poor' is no excuse. These are games. You don't need them. If you cna't afford a game, then guess what? GTFO
This.

I'm a pirate too. I download games as well, to try them out, but I actually almost never buy them. Last game I bought? Mass Effect, but that was because downloading and applying a crack for it, was too much of a hassle at that time.
It's really sad pirates don't take responsibility for their actions and admit they're pirates because they're too cheap to pay for stuff. You'll never hear me saying I pirate because "I want to try out this game before I buy it" Don't make me laugh :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
So did this thread already grown into "piracy kills PC gaming" so I can say something like "how is this bad fucktard? Better ask a question when EA will finally move to consoles exclusively and take shitty Bioware with them"

Tails

Arbiter
If piracy really was killing PC (or any) gaming, it would be dead long time ago. Silly excuse.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Remember the floppy times? I think that for every original floppy there was in a house there were other 30 pirated.

LazyD

Liturgist
Volourn said:

Bullshit. Thieves are theives and they always some lazy excuse on why they did. Being 'poor' is no excuse. These are games. You don't need them. If you cna't afford a game, then guess what? GTFToTheTracker LOLOLOL

fuck you

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
aries202 said:
Fernando Melo (a bioware dev) mentioned in his apology letter
He apologized for DA:O?

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
I believe that piracy might actually help the industry in the long run but the publishers have to be smart. Napster, Limewire, and youtube are more responsible for broadening my taste in music than any advertisement.

Thanks to piracy there is a going percentage of gamers that can actually afford to play something besides Madden and GTA. This is where the publishers have to be smart. They need to lower cost. Consoles games debut at 59.99. To pirate a game you spend about 5 bucks on a disc, 2 bucks on electricity, 70 bucks to mod a console etc etc. Even if they cut the price in half its a fraction of the cost so the key is to cut the price and add more incentive. Include an action figure, a cartoon, a map, Deepspawn blood hotsauce, a discount on future games and shit. That would curtail piracy but more importantly it would get people to try different genres.

Other Topic
You can sell 'hardcore' RPGs. Dragon Age is tough but I can name a lot of console games that were tougher. There is no reason at all to believe that DA is too tough for console gamers. I know Bethesda addiction to low difficulty might make you wonder but look at other genres. Honestly I would say that most of Nintendo's platofrmers are tougher than DA. Yoshi's Island on the DS was much tougher than DA, Mario Galaxy was tougher, Tomb Raider 2 was much tougher, Ninja Gaiden was on par, and thats just the recent stuff. Oldies like Ghosts n Goblins Shinobi, and Battletoads were in another league. Ever since Bethesda figured out with Morrowind that you can sell western RPGs on a console the predecessors have been ass easy. Fable, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Mass Effect, were much easier than the typical Nintendo platformer thats intended for a much younger audience so if anything DA sells because of its difficulty not in spite of it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Volourn said:

Necrovision had a demo - I played it, I liked it, I bought the game.

Risen had a demo - I played it, I liked it, I bought the game.

Knights of the Chalice had a demo - I played it, I liked it, I bought the game.

Mass Effect didn't have a demo - I torrented it, I didn't like it, I didn't buy it - 50$ saved.

Star Wars: Empire at War didn't have a demo either iirc (or if it had, I must have missed it back in the days) - I torrented it, I loved it, I bought it.

If Mass Effect had a demo I could play, I probably wouldn't have to torrent it to try it out - no piracy and I wouldn't waste time and bandwidth. Now, if I was a good lapdog and bought Mass Effect instead of torrenting it, I would have been very angry about wasting 50$ on a shit game, and thereby supporting the devs for something I didn't like.

You have to be just downright retarded to buy games like pigs in pokes without first trying out any sort of 'demo', whether it is official or a torrent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom