Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - official Codex verdict

Ch1ef

Scholar
toro said:
I'm not a native English speaker therefore I cannot say anything about the quality of the dialogues. But the game is really good.
:?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
toro said:
I'm not a native English speaker therefore I cannot say anything about the quality of the dialogues.
Yes you can. Having english as your second or third language does not mean you're oblivious to bad writing. You (probably) won't detect typos and spelling errors as well but you should not have any trouble to see if you're reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn or David Gaider.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Just finished DA:O. I don't have an exact hour count but it felt like forever. Forever is both good and bad -- at least you get your money's worth in playtime(Vast majority of this is combat). Dwarf rogue commoner, if I play again I'll be an evil mage.

There were some plot holes and lack of common sense near the end. Such as 'oh I can use this handy shortcut through the dungeon to avoid a forced encounter' but when my party gets to the entrance they can't enter for some stupid reason. Also one thing I hated was that there were often short dialogue exchanges which turned into big expositions in your quest log/Codex.

The analogies to BG are obvious, such as 'Gather your party and venture forth?' when leaving an area. Overall there is too much combat, the inventory system prevented me crafting for half the game, overall character progression is great, dialogue is adequate, the amount of non-voiced written text is astounding.

The level art is exquisite, but you won't notice because you'll be rushing from one room to the next in a seemingly-endless romp of bashing skulls. If you ever revisit a cleared dungeon you'll think 'Oh wow I never noticed how great these levels looked, probably because I was busy spamming Cone of Cold'
Actual level design was 'meh'. I've designed better dungeons when I was 10. In one dungeon I had to get a key to open a door which had another key behind it ala Doom. They had a chance to do some really cool traps and encounters, but didn't. Good art does not make good levels.

Lack of dialogue was one of my major concerns pre-release, since it is almost all voiced. But there is a plethora of written 'Codex' information on monsters, items, history, and books/notes you find in the gameworld.

Combat is interesting, there's a lot of special moves and variety. E.G. my rogue excelled at flanking opponents, and did so much damage that the enemy would quickly target him. Mages dominate combat, I always had 2 mages and kept most enemies perma-stun-locked. The slow motion deaths of large enemies(ogres and dragons) and the finishing movies(Decapitation, etc) of melee characters is both innovative and awesome.

There should have been more in-game videos
-- the DA:O released a large number of CGI trailers showing 1 PC + 3 NPCs, but none of these made it into the game in any form..

Flabbyjack's overall rating: B+.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Andyman Messiah said:
toro said:
I'm not a native English speaker therefore I cannot say anything about the quality of the dialogues.
Yes you can. Having english as your second or third language does not mean you're oblivious to bad writing. You (probably) won't detect typos and spelling errors as well but you should not have any trouble to see if you're reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn or David Gaider.
Apparently not.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 927#924927

DraQ

Arcane
So, is it worthwhile or not?
What are the best and worst aspects?
Would you recommend the game to a player who will gladly endure bad combat (and in enduring grow strong) if the game has an interesting, not-banal setting, characters or C&C, but would likely drop mechanically perfect, but boring and lifeless game?
If the setting isn't hot, is the game at least as lively as Wizardry 8?
How's the atmosphere?
What's the deal with Imoen mk.2?
Or tit-guards for that matter - is art design of weapons and armour as bad as it seems?

"Banal, shit, boring!!1"
"NO ITZ GUD!!!"
Repeated ad nauseam makes for some plain fucking retarded discussion and really worthless argumentation.

sqeecoo said:
The game is pretty good and very polished, but too bland to be called great. Worth playing, but not better than the flawed but inspired Witcher, for instance.
So, it's technically good, but excessively bland?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
Andyman Messiah said:
toro said:
Apparently not.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 927#924927
I stand disgusted. I never read that thread to the finish but now I see that I absolutely have to. Thanks for spoiling the ending, though, VINCE.

edit: Oh and by the way, Dragon Age is good. Best game from BioWare I've played in a long, long time.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Dragon Age is cool because dragons are cool and also there's an entire age of dragons and that's cool too.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Morgoth said:
I'm nearing completion and I have to say Dragon Age is a wonderful game. Reminds me why I still care about RPGs. Easily the best Bio game since BG2.

Lol newfags

Melcar

Arcane
:(

I was reinstalling, Winblows had an error, and now my DA:O DVD is unreadable. Off to downloading it again I guess; took a fucking week last time.

Vault Dweller

Developer
DraQ said:
Yes.

Would you recommend the game to a player who will gladly endure bad combat (and in enduring grow strong) if the game has an interesting, not-banal setting, characters or C&C, but would likely drop mechanically perfect, but boring and lifeless game?
Yes.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 134.0.html

- detailed character system (best fighter and rogue implementation)
- tactical combat (very challenging on Hard)
- tactical spell combos
- level-scaling, auto-regen, tempo death done right
- magic weapons/armor are appropriately rare
- excellent journal recording pretty much everything
- once the game opens up, plenty of role-playing options
- persuasion is very useful, can open up different quest solutions
- excellent isometric interiors, the great outdoors are kinda mediocre
- very well developed world, a lot thought went into elves and dwarves
- a well polished game, you can tell it's been a long time in development
- runs well on 4-year old computers

Ch1ef

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
DraQ said:
Yes.

Yes.

- tactical spell combos
HUR AH HUR AH HUR AH HUR AH
Look, behind you!
Lavoisier said:
Morgoth said:
I'm nearing completion and I have to say Dragon Age is a wonderful game. Reminds me why I still care about RPGs. Easily the best Bio game since BG2.

Lol newfags
YEAH BRO MASS EFFECT WAS BETTER I SEE WHOOT YOU MEAN

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ch1ef said:
Vault Dweller said:
DraQ said:
Yes.

Yes.

- tactical spell combos
Low INT dialgue line?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
DA writing is very good. Don't get me wrong, there are times the writing can be silly, and off; but for the most part it hits the high marks. The romances (at least the one I'm experiencing) can be over the top; but at times even then the writing can have some depth to it, and genuinely funny. Hell, the other companions often comment when you kiss in front of them which is hilarious.

Yeah, the blood splurting is definitely over the top. No doubt about it. At least there's an option to shot it off. However, I must say, in some ways, it makes sense. Blood seems to be a very key them in the world of DA. Youy got blood mages, reavers, tainted blood, Gray Wardens drinking blood, etc., etc. There is much focus on blood it can't be accidental. That said, the bloody trail on the map is definitely out there but still eerily amusing.

The combat is awesome. The game almost never is easy. Every time I think I turned the corner, WRONG. Game is always tough. Anyone who is worried about level scaling obvously hasn't actually played it. I went to the elf forest first and it was hugely tough then I went to the mage tower and castle and since theyw ere actually meant to be played first, they were easier (though not super easy). That's pretty solid balancing as far as the level scaling goes.

Despite the whining about rogues being 'weak' that's crap. As long as you don't go in expecting them to be at the same level as warriors and espicially mages they are a great SUPPORT class. As it should be.

The origins, at least the one I took, does matter, and plays a pretty big role throughout the game. People will react to you, and there reactions are based off them frequently. Good stuff. I have very little doubt a dwarf noble will have a different game experience than a human mage.

Greta game but not withouts flaw - like every game I have ever played. Biggest weakness, imo, is the lack of main story focus.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Ch1ef said:
Vault Dweller said:
DraQ said:
Yes.

Yes.

- tactical spell combos
Low INT dialgue line?
No, it's just me, behind you.

With an open fly :creepy:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
DA writing is very good. Don't get me wrong, there are times the writing can be silly, and off; but for the most part it hits the high marks. The romances (at least the one I'm experiencing) can be over the top; but at times even then the writing cna have some depth to it, and genuinely funny. Hell, the other companions often comment when you kiss in front of them which is hilarious.

Yeah, the blood splurting is definitely over the top. No doubt about it. At least ther's an option to shot it off. However, I must say, in some ways, it amkes sense. Blood seems to be a very key them in the world of DA. Youy got blood mages, reavers, tainted blood, Gray Wardens drinking blood, etc., etc. There is much focus on blood it cna't be accidental. That said, the bloody trail on the map is definitely out there but still eerily amusing.

The combat is awesome. The game almost never is easy. Every time I think I turned the corner, WRONG. Game is always tough. Anyone who is worried about level scaling ovbously hasn't actually played it. I went to the elf forest first and it was hugely tough then I went to the mage tower and castle and since theyw ere actually meant to be played first, they were easier (though not super easy). That's pretty solid balancing as far as the level scaling goes.

Despite the whining about rogues being 'weak' that's crap. As long as you don't go in expecting them to be at the same level as warriors and espicially mages they are a great SUPPORT class. As it should be.

The origins, at least the one I took, does matter, and plays a pretty big role throughout the game. People will react to you, and there reactions are based off them frequently. Good stuff. I have very little doubt a dwarf noble will have a different game experience than a human mage.

Greta game but not withouts flaw - like every game I have ever played. Biggest weakness, imo, is the lack of main story focus.
I agree with pretty much everything.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
Andyman Messiah said:
edit: Oh and by the way, Dragon Age is good. Best game from BioWare I've played in a long, long time.
Best Bioware game and the best RPG since Arcanum.
I agree with this, actually. I was pleasantly surprised.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
Volourn said:
DA writing is very good. Don't get me wrong, there are times the writing can be silly, and off; but for the most part it hits the high marks. The romances (at least the one I'm experiencing) can be over the top; but at times even then the writing cna have some depth to it, and genuinely funny. Hell, the other companions often comment when you kiss in front of them which is hilarious.

Yeah, the blood splurting is definitely over the top. No doubt about it. At least ther's an option to shot it off. However, I must say, in some ways, it amkes sense. Blood seems to be a very key them in the world of DA. Youy got blood mages, reavers, tainted blood, Gray Wardens drinking blood, etc., etc. There is much focus on blood it cna't be accidental. That said, the bloody trail on the map is definitely out there but still eerily amusing.

The combat is awesome. The game almost never is easy. Every time I think I turned the corner, WRONG. Game is always tough. Anyone who is worried about level scaling ovbously hasn't actually played it. I went to the elf forest first and it was hugely tough then I went to the mage tower and castle and since theyw ere actually meant to be played first, they were easier (though not super easy). That's pretty solid balancing as far as the level scaling goes.

I agree with pretty much everything.

VD and Volourn sitting on a tree, kissing.

EDIT: Now in a threesome, with a horse.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Give me several weeks to finally play the thing, I'm not THAT easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom