Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Origins combat is better than Baldur's Gate 2

• Thread starter Deleted Member 22431
  • Start date

Deleted Member 22431

DA:O >>>>>>>>> BG2

The combat system is simpler, but it is so much more fun. There is no comparison. I think that anyone who disagrees suffers from some serious larping syndrome because combat in BG2 is dogshit. It feels like watching a super fast movie with little characters that ends in a few seconds.

Anyone who disagrees is stupid.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
DA:O >>>>>>>>> BG2

The combat system is simpler, but it is so much more fun. There is no comparison. I think that anyone who disagrees suffers from some serious larping syndrome because combat in BG2 is dogshit. It feels like watching a super fast movie with little characters that ends in a few seconds.

Anyone who disagrees is stupid.
What this guy said. Both are RTWP but DA:O was designed for it, as opposed to Baldur's Gate which forcefully shoved the AD&D system into it.

Deleted Member 22431

What this guy said. Both are RTWP but DA:O was designed for it, as opposed to Baldur's Gate which forcefully shoved the AD&D system into it.

I think this is the only RTwP where melee is fun, honestly. The spell combos are also good. The reactivity in choices is also an improvement. The game gets a bad rep because of gay romances and the simplification of D&D stuff. But what I can see is that the abundance of options in BG2 is pointless because it has a negligible impact on the gameplay. You can brute force 99% of the game. It would not be an exaggeration to claim that the players that are fond of this game are so because it provides an excuse to vomit their erudition about the systems. It is about everything, except the godamn gameplay.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Everything has long cooldowns on dragon age and nothing has impact. BG 1 / BG 2 combat is not fast. Is fast for those used with modern bullet sponge games. Might & magic VI on real time is far quicker than BG2. Arcanum too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sounds like you just suck at the game. DA:O's mages are more OP than BG's.

Can DA:O mages create armies of skeletons? No, they can only command one skeleton with animate dead
Can DA:O mages take control over enemies with a mid tier spell(domination)? No. Only with a specific blood magic with very long cooldown.
Can DA:O mages OHK enemies with finger of death? No
Can DA:O mages stop the time? No

I soloed BG2 with a arcane caster on max difficulty but can't even think on how to play solo da:o game...

In spoiler, two videos of i playing two games; NWN and BG2. One soloing one of the hardest BG2 dragons and other killing two dragons as a lv 14 sorcerer on NWN

Codex Year of the Donut
Both are RTWP
They aren't the same kind of RTwP. DA:O is true realtime.

You can pause with space bar.

You can queue actions while paused.

Not RTwP, mkay'

What you mean is DAO is not round-based RtwP like BG.
...And by being round-based it's no longer actually real-time, it's just an illusion. If I want to cast a spell I have to wait an arbitrary amount of time until the game decides my round is over and begins a new round.
To put it more simply: There's a reason it was so easy to bolt a turn-based system onto Kingmaker with a mod but required massive changes -- both technical and systems changes -- for Deadfire.

Harthwain

Magister
DA:O's mages are more OP than BG's.
But far less powerful (and fun to play) than BG2 mages. Those were the good old days when games didn't care about balance.
Or, a much simpler explanation; back in the "good old days" the game was basically done when it got out, so you couldn't add patches at whim to balance it out, like you can do nowadays.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Can DA:O mages create armies of skeletons? No, they can only command one skeleton with animate dead
DAO mages don't need an army of skeletons.

Can DA:O mages take control over enemies with a mid tier spell(domination)? No. Only with a specific blood magic with very long cooldown.
Lore differences. Mind control is highly taboo so it's part of the highly taboo school of magic.

Can DA:O mages OHK enemies with finger of death? No
They can OHK enemy spellcasters with Mana Clash, which can be combined with Walking Bomb to additionally OHK other enemies in the fight.

Can DA:O mages stop the time
Blood Wound does a similar thing by immobilizing most enemies, in addition to causing DOT. Also without friendly fire and with a short cooldown.

But far less powerful
Do you not know what OP means?

But far less powerful (and fun to play) than BG2 mages
Citation needed.

As per what Rusty said above, a big part of why DA:O mages are actually more powerful than BG2's is because of the lack of rounds. You aren't sitting ducks like an idiot waiting for your enemies to finish their turns. In addition, 98% of spells have no casting time (except for the amount of time it takes for the spell to make the journey from your staff to the enemies).

Erebus

Arcane
BG2 makes it much easier to control an entire party in combat, and it allows parties of 6 instead of just 3 4. That alone ensures that combat is much better in BG2 than in DA:O.

Last edited:
BG2 makes it much easier to control an entire party in combat, and it allows parties of 6 instead of just 3. That alone ensures that combat is much better in BG2 than in DA:O.

4 + war dog (if you use the mod that gives an extra slot for it)

Battlefield control in DA:O > any of the IE games

Primarily because of the threat/aggro system, but also because of activated abilities for crowd control.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The relatively fast speed of BG2's RTwP makes it objectively superior to its slow-ass imitators (such as NWN) which waste your time with overly lengthy "rounds".

Why the inverted commas? They are accurate time intervals: 6 secs for BG and 6 secs for NWN.

It's just that in BG you can double AI updates to 60 per second whereas in NWN you cannot. But NWN supports many more attacks per round than BG (which clumsily doubles anim cycles to reach 10 ApR), along with cleaves and great cleaves. You wouldn't want it any faster unless you're playing Act One of the OC over and over again, which appears to be what you're doing.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
So, compared to DA:O, what's the BG2 criticism here? That it's too fast?

BG2 has many potentailly memorable encounters, but fighting Firkraag for the first time is one that has stuck with me. Sure, it's over quickly, but everything you do in it matters. You need to figure out how to even damage the damn thing and not get TPK'd in a matter of seconds. On the other hand in DA:O, on my first and definitely last playthrough, the dragon encounters pretty much came down to repeating the same cooldown loop ad nauseam until you managed to eat away that gigantic pile of HP. I don't know, maybe you can do it in seconds if you know the system well or whatever, but I just found it awfully tedious and repetitive. For the rest of the game it's little better since there's so little variety in the enemy types, so you'll be spamming the same spells and abilities in the same order in every fight. The whole game is just so formulaic with the aggroing tank fighters, DPS rogues and healer mages, and there's much less room to play around with your party composition compared to both BG games.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I don't know, maybe you can do it in seconds if you know the system well or whatever
Thank you for articulating the issue of this thread. It's obvious that the DA:O criticizers here never learned how to git gud at the game.

The whole game is just so formulaic with the aggroing tank fighters, DPS rogues and healer mages
You're doing it wrong if you think mages have to be healers or that fighters have to be tanks.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Any game that relies on aggro abilities and is not an MMO, has a completly shit combat, it's trying to patch up a fundamental problem in their design with those abilities. Kinda like fixing leaky pipes with some thin paper...

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DAO is dogshit. I've tried to get into it repeatedly but it's just too boring. And none of their spells are fun. No invisibility, no time stop, no iron skin, one boring summon, nukes are underwhelming, etc. They are only "powerful" because most enemies are simple and boring themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom