Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

Codex Year of the Donut
Archdemons are reborn when killed. Don't you guys remember the ending of DAO?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Archdemons are reborn when killed. Don't you guys remember the ending of DAO?

Not when they are killed by a grey warden. That's why you have to sacrifice a grey warden or do the dark ritual.

They essentially transfer into another blight corrupted body and starts to reborn from there. It's the same trick DA:I's villain use.

Absinthe

Arcane
Texture mods usually being shit is my opinion. Do you want me to pretend it's not? The only one I think I've ever liked was Deus Ex's "New Vision." However that's mostly irrelevant, since the point of my post was that saying modding the game's graphics is "necessary" is a retardo statement, and it is.
Hell I agreed from the outset that many texture mods are shit. But you posted that opinion in the context of me posting texture mod recommendations that weren't shitty scaled-up textures with filters slapped on top, so I do get to call you out for that. You complained about textures being trash or some ridiculous overhaul shit. All I'm pointing out is that DAO has some really shitty textures in places, and these mods aren't the kind that is trying to make shit look radically different. They're just trying to make the game look less like low res garbage for the most part. There's a bunch of comparison pictures here for the record: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3869/?tab=images

I actually still has some hope left for the DA series. The winter palace quest in DA:I was pretty decent, if they could make half of the quests in the next game like that it might have a chance to be good.
Let me kill that hope for you. The original Dragon Age 4 project (codename Joplin) was scrapped because EA was mad that it didn't have enough lootboxes and microtransactions. So they made a new project (codename Morrison) with a live component and more microtransaction shit because Games-as-a-Service is the future. Bioware's internal staff refers to the new Dragon Age 4 project as "Anthem with Dragons." https://gamerant.com/dragon-age-4-joplin-details/

The original Dragon Age 4 project by Laidlaw actually sounded somewhat interesting though, since they were going to cut down on the large-scale environments and level design in favor of better C&C and environments evolving based on what you do as you revisit them.

The lore is still somewhat interesting as well, but it seems to have a nasty habit of posing more questions everytime they give answers to anything.
Honestly after DAO the lore just got dumber and dumber. Bioware has been playing it fast and loose with its own lore and the inconsistencies are pretty heavy if you pay attention.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hell I agreed from the outset that many texture mods are shit. But you posted that opinion in the context of me posting texture mod recommendations that weren't shitty scaled-up textures with filters slapped on top, so I do get to call you out for that. You complained about textures being trash or some ridiculous overhaul shit. All I'm pointing out is that DAO has some really shitty textures in places, and these mods aren't the kind that is trying to make shit look radically different. They're just trying to make the game look less like low res garbage for the most part. There's a bunch of comparison pictures here for the record: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3869/?tab=images

I don't like the doors, they have a very different color and general look. The rest look alright, I grant you. However I am very resistant to changing the look of the game, so it's not all bout "up-scaled textures with filters" for me. Anyway, maybe I'll use those next time I play DA:O, who knows. I'll have to look more into it. However the two points I was trying to make stand: most are shitty in my experience, and DA:O doesn't need them to be played.

Codex Year of the Donut
img.png

Theldaran

Liturgist
I actually still has some hope left for the DA series. The winter palace quest in DA:I was pretty decent, if they could make half of the quests in the next game like that it might have a chance to be good.

The lore is still somewhat interesting as well, but it seems to have a nasty habit of posing more questions everytime they give answers to anything.

That's because the lore is tricky and isn't defined very well. Also I'm sure that they created the world and the meta-world (Fade, gods, etc) in stages as they released the games.

More interesting lore than POE's, but it also can end up in disappointment.

Starwars

Arcane
Just finished the Deep Roads. Holy fuck, that was even more combat than I remembered...

Is Awakening worth playing? I have some recollection of starting it up but I never got very far into it as far as I can remember.

Also, one of the best things about this game is how derpy your main character looks in some of the cutscenes.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Is Awakening worth playing?
Absolutely. It has a better story than the main campaign and a bunch of cool new spells and abilities. I also preferred Awakening's locations and general atmosphere.

Be aware though that it's also a lot buggier than the main game. There are a bunch of bugfix mods on the Nexus that you might want to get.

Beastro

Arcane
Is Awakening worth playing? I have some recollection of starting it up but I never got very far into it as far as I can remember.

Also, one of the best things about this game is how derpy your main character looks in some of the cutscenes.

You might find it has a bit of a slow start, but it gets better as it goes along.

I went back to Origins after reading this thread out of curiosity as I haven't played it in years, and one thing that immediately stuck out to me was how comparatively brief the dialogue is compared to more recent efforts. Pillars of Eternity (1 and 2), Tyranny and Torment all had oodles of neverending text walls. Much of it was even voiced, bizarrely enough, so you weren't just reading some NPC droning on about the lore and the world, you're hearing them drone on and on.

Meanwhile, I boot up Origins and the people talk like people. You can ask questions about specific terms and things you might not know about as a new player, but at least early on, those options are folded into conversations rather than NPCs being treated like encyclopedias. The game's universe and lore might not be super original, but at least it doesn't ask you to read or listen to essays on whatever the fuck anything is.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I went back to Origins after reading this thread out of curiosity as I haven't played it in years, and one thing that immediately stuck out to me was how comparatively brief the dialogue is compared to more recent efforts. Pillars of Eternity (1 and 2), Tyranny and Torment all had oodles of neverending text walls. Much of it was even voiced, bizarrely enough, so you weren't just reading some NPC droning on about the lore and the world, you're hearing them drone on and on.

Meanwhile, I boot up Origins and the people talk like people. You can ask questions about specific terms and things you might not know about as a new player, but at least early on, those options are folded into conversations rather than NPCs being treated like encyclopedias. The game's universe and lore might not be super original, but at least it doesn't ask you to read or listen to essays on whatever the fuck anything is.

Of course modern Obsidian isn't the best example I think.

As you know (heard it first here), Bioware really acknowledged in BG2 that they HAD TO reduce some of BG1's walls of text.

It's a mystery why modern developers still fall into this mistake.

Prime Junta

BioWare used to be good at writing dialogue. All of the MEs and DAs (except "my face is tired" Andromeda ofc) have dialogue that's clearly above average.

Zer0wing

Cipher
You're thinking like a graphics whore. The main purpose of the Eclipse engine was to allow easy creation of CRPG content. Dragon Age: Inquisition used Frostbite instead, which was good graphics-wise, but also disastrous because Frostbite is a terrible engine choice for RPGs.
I don't get this excuse. Many RPGs are made using general purpose engines that don't have distinct tools to simplify the work on said RPGs, if not the engine written from scratch. It is something developers always had to write themselves. Or stick with Excel, like Troika. It's just that Bioware used to stick with the same Aurora Engine bullshit for ages and suddenly got out of comfort zone by EA. Progress is not made in comfy safe spaces. Bioware mismanagement and their budget costs are not our concerns, guys.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
As you know (heard it first here), Bioware really acknowledged in BG2 that they HAD TO reduce some of BG1's walls of text.

And as you know, I hate walls of text. However, I would rather a wall of text that appears as one wall that can be clicked off in one click, than a wall of text that makes me click ten or even 20 times. This is the difference between the presentation of BG and BG2/PS:T dialogue.

Xeon

Augur
BG1 had walls of texts? I think the only large chunk I saw were in the dreams iirc and I didn't think those were that much.

Nalenth

Novice
I liked the game when it came out, but the main story is too straightforward even for a Bioware game. Most of the plot consists of cool, but loosely connected short stories. The expansion has a more coherent narrative.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

And as you know, I hate walls of text. However, I would rather a wall of text that appears as one wall that can be clicked off in one click, than a wall of text that makes me click ten or even 20 times. This is the difference between the presentation of BG and BG2/PS:T dialogue.
You really should try Disco Elysium,you will love it :lol:.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
rusty_shackleford you still butthurt that anything americans had produced in the rpg sphere in the past 10 years was shit?! I could hear your heart bleeding when outer worlds turned out to be this massive turd. Yeah DE is like 10 times better rpg/game than TOW. Still i do feel for you mate,as a fellow nationalist,seeing the decline of your nation is not an easy thing.

:love:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In my headcannon Styg is actually american. Sigh, who am I kidding that would just turn Underrail into shallow and weak crap.

It is already. Despite coming out 16 years subsequent, Underrail doesn't come close to matching the towering monolith that is Jagged Alliance 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom