Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Why are there even undead in this series lol, it doesn't fit the lore in any way.
They do though. Most undead are corpses possessed by demons, and the ones that aren't are just puppets controlled by mages.
I didn't say "there's no explanation for it in the lore", I said "it doesn't fit the lore". As in, thematically. Also, logically it makes no sense - we pretty much never see demons possessing living beings who are not mages because they are of little value to them as hosts, but rotting corpses are super-attractive as hosts and get possessed by the hundreds? Retarded bullshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And i said to stop paying attention to that libtardian attention whore. He will begin spamming the thread and derail the conversation as always.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative:
It is such shame that we didn't get a sequel.
Would've been a great series if they kept it non-voiced protagonist and just improved on the DA: O system instead of changing it altogether with "push a button, something awesome happens!" bullshit. I don't even know wtf happened after Origins. What I'm reading sounds like they really went a different direction altogether. DA: O really was dark as fuck, though.

The one thing I'm really interested in seeing what happens is if you cross the Fade with Morrigan... also wtf the Dark City is.
I really don't care about the voiced protag,as long as they could keep up the dialogue options as in originis. The rest i agree,tho i don't think that the game is darker than the rest. Tho that shit with the dwarfs and the broodmothers was pretty disgusting :). It was more grounded and solidly written than being dark per se. It was pretty good start for a franchise but they really fucked it up.
I've never played the rest, but in DAO, you can kill a kid, kill his mother, you can get raped, get tortured, get cuckolded, have a three-way, and that's only off the top of my head. IDK, I'd say that's a pretty fucking dark AAA title. Not even New Vegas lets you kill a kid.

Oh, there was also a rumor that Alistair and Morrigan are siblings. I remember reading that the book talks about this possibility back in the BioWare boards. I'm not sure if it's true, probably not true, but if it is, pretty sure they commit incest if you pick the right choices :lol:.

Anyways, DAI and DA2 must be really fucking dark if you can say that DAO it isn't darker than the rest. I've never played them, so I think it'd be great for the series to keep that. Sadly, I have zero interest in playing an RPG with a voiced protagonist. That's a death knell. I wouldn't even play The Witcher or Kingdom Come because of that.
Muh,those are not dark shit,those are normal things in our modern society lol. They are not darker than origin for sure,but that doesn't make origin much darker in me book. You have very juvenile view of dark,fucking two women or raped by a powerful man is not something new,cucking has become a fucking meme/fashion at this point.

Now betraying your house and lover,giving them to a bunch of semi undead to gang rape all the women in your house and make them in too breeders.
For something to be seen as dark it has to be seen as breaking the taboo of our kind. Like a fucking horde of fleshling bugs swarming a terran colony and eating everything....in starcrft :). If you want some dark game,check out demonicon,a really hidden gem.
What's up your ass? Did you ride the bull in DAI or something.
Come one mate,you are forgetting that i am slav,dark and depressing is a second nature to us. :lol:

Also i ride only Cassandra in Inquisition,the rest are unfuckable.

I've never seen anyone say it's a pinnacle of RPG design, but it's a decently executed cRPG that wasn't trying to push genre boundaries or whatever. Arguably, one of the most well rounded cRPGs in that it has very few flaws.

Actually is pretty high point of the rtwp system. It mixes the tactical element and the third person aspect pretty well. I can't even remember if there is another game like it. I really do like this system,i do prefer it over a third person tumbling simulators like dark souls.

Cael

Arcane
Why are there even undead in this series lol, it doesn't fit the lore in any way.
They do though. Most undead are corpses possessed by demons, and the ones that aren't are just puppets controlled by mages.
I didn't say "there's no explanation for it in the lore", I said "it doesn't fit the lore". As in, thematically. Also, logically it makes no sense - we pretty much never see demons possessing living beings who are not mages because they are of little value to them as hosts, but rotting corpses are super-attractive as hosts and get possessed by the hundreds? Retarded bullshit.
A corpse has no will to resist the demon. A live non-mage is protected from demons by the Veil.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm doing a playthrough of Dragon Age Origins lately, last time was 5-6 years ago. I have to say that UI aside (which is fine, but it badly needs scaling - i'm playing the game at 1280x720 with 200% integer scaling so that everything wont be tiny on my 1440p monitor) the overall controls and style in the DA:O incarnation of Aurora engine are among the best in 3rd person RPGs: can be 100% mouse driven, yet has customizable shortcut keys for a lot of stuff, you can switch between 3rd person and bird eye view at any moment (i'd like if there was an option for what to do when the mouse hits the screen edge though - i'd prefer if the camera rotated like in NWN1 instead of panning, for example), dialog options have numbers to activate them, you can highlight all interactive objects in the environment with captions above them (though i'd prefer it if there was a toggle button for that), select and control any character in your party (and toggle selections with shift so you can put your attackers next to each other and select them with shift+f1/f2/etc) and create simple "scripts" for the characters you do not control (which is very useful - though i'd have liked a "enter combat" condition as i tried to make Leliana apply poison to her daggers but the "any" condition causes her to constantly apply poison and do nothing else :-P - also a "when there are 2-3 enemies clustered" condition to throw bombs, etc would be nice too, there is one for when an ally is surrounded but not for enemies).

Having said that, i'm not sure what Leliana is doing here but it doesn't look like singing to me :-P

GOBs1AK.jpg

Especially since this is a sustained power that causes headaches for everyone around her :-P

Poseidon00

Arcane
Now i'm tempted to try again. Haven't picked up DAO since like 2012. I should do one of those shifter mages. Buff to high heaven and use spider form.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the main game. I have to say i forgot how ridiculously overpowered the mages are in this game. Last time i played it i was thinking that i should make a mage next time i play the game - and then i forgot about it and made a fighter again :-P.

Also as much as i like the UX, controls, etc that game is one of the crashiest i've played. It crashed during cutscenes, it crashed just walking around, it crashed almost every other area switch - it fucking crashed during the last boss fight while it was at 10% or so health FFS. Hell, it even crashed during the post-fight scene when all you do is just talk to some NPCs.

Anyway, on to Awakening. Crashes aside, the game was fun.

Ardun

Shame the latter games were such a MASSIVE decline. You might think that DA:I was an incline, but they were merely preparing for the biggest jump down the drain - fourth DA game.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

Honestly, that's rather weird. I have played through DA:O maybe five times over the years on different computers; I have maybe one or two memories of it crashing. What I do remember happening every time is loading times getting progressively worse the longer a single game session goes on, so I always ended up restarting the game executable after a few hours of play; I think there's something wrong with the game's asset system. Maybe that's what causes the crashing too?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Honestly, that's rather weird. I have played through DA:O maybe five times over the years on different computers; I have maybe one or two memories of it crashing. What I do remember happening every time is loading times getting progressively worse the longer a single game session goes on, so I always ended up restarting the game executable after a few hours of play; I think there's something wrong with the game's asset system. Maybe that's what causes the crashing too?
Yes, there's a memory leak problem that causes the slowdowns and the crashing. You have to play for quite a few hours for it to crash, though, which I don't ever remember happening to me.

Cael

Arcane
Finished the main game. I have to say i forgot how ridiculously overpowered the mages are in this game. Last time i played it i was thinking that i should make a mage next time i play the game - and then i forgot about it and made a fighter again :-P.

Also as much as i like the UX, controls, etc that game is one of the crashiest i've played. It crashed during cutscenes, it crashed just walking around, it crashed almost every other area switch - it fucking crashed during the last boss fight while it was at 10% or so health FFS. Hell, it even crashed during the post-fight scene when all you do is just talk to some NPCs.

I have never had DAO crash on me. Plenty of others like Dwarf Fortress, FO Tactics, Civ4. But not DAO. First time I have heard of it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I've had a few crashes too, even with the 4GB patch. In addition to the memory leak, some spells like Mana Clash are likely to cause them.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

Yeah i also had that, though i mainly noticed because after restarting from a crash rotating the camera was much smoother :-P.

Yes, there's a memory leak problem that causes the slowdowns and the crashing. You have to play for quite a few hours for it to crash, though, which I don't ever remember happening to me.

The only pattern i found was that it usually happened after area transitions - but not always. And it could take an hour or so to crash in one case but sometimes i'd get a crash pretty much inside 15 minutes of launching the game (though that doesn't happen often). But FWIW the crashes were very rare in the first hours of the game, they only became progressively worse over time.

In any case, aside from from crashes in cutscenes and scripted transitions that can force me to repeat a section, they're little more than annoyances since the game loads very fast anyway. I just do a quicksave before going to another area in case the game crashes :-P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The Awakening patch added a ton of instability to DA:O. If you just play patched to 1.02 it's a stable experience.

Goldschmidt

Learned
Dragon Age origins featured the best party banter ever. There is no denying that this was D.Gaydar at its best. A real testament to his professional craftmanship and prime example was the beautifully developed friendship between Oghren from Orzammar and Zevran, the Antivan Crow. The entire dialogue gave me lots of emotions like painful rectum and bleeding eyeball.
db94cfr-c66c4e03-974e-4d53-b144-0d7a8e7f371b.png

unnamed.jpg

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Imagine not killing Zevran the moment you meet him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom