Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Then play different class,don't be a "one skill is different,the game is shit now".. Also i didn't have any crashing,even if it crash the game loads fast.

I object on principle. They also hardcoded it, so you can't use the toolset to change it back (an infamous idiosyncratic poster on the BSN, Sylvius the Mad, griped about being unable to do so).

Ahh then why bother even playing it? Combat is fun part of this game,if you don't like it then just don't waste your time playing the game.

Combat is good in certain quantities. There can be too much of it (Icewind Dale II, Dragon Age: Origins, Pillars of Eternity 1.0/2.0 before the great trash-mob culling)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Watcher's Keep

:lol:

Oh right, and they also changed it so that Lieutenant-ranked enemies can't be shattered because Muh Balance. Dumb MMO distinction I don't approve of.

Yeah, that's bullshit. I played 1.04 back in 2016. Fixed muh memory leaks and a few other shitty things that were happening.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Combat is good in certain quantities. There can be too much of it (Icewind Dale II, Dragon Age: Origins ... before the great trash-mob culling)

Neither have too much combat, in my opinion. DA:O has trashmobs due to what I'd like to think are certain combat encounter design oversights (pertaining to its scaling). IWD2 does not have trashmobs at all (unless one soloes as Sorcerer or Dreadmaster or something).

Falksi

Arcane
I fucking THRIVED on Dragon Age: Origins. Yeah it had it's flaws, but as an overall adventure & journey it was lush.

Didn't find combat boring, esp on Nightmare, other than when playing as a Warrior. Some of the combat set pieces were great IMO, lots to consider in a short space of time.

All the moaning fuckers who said combat was too slow & considered are half the reason we got "awesome button" DA:2 instead. I'd be interested to see if many tried the game on Nightmare, because on that level nearly every action is significant.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What is also good on paper is reducing the number of classes but increasing build variety among these classes. It's a good exercise in system building. The problem is that Warrior and Rogue were too similar to each other, so it didn't work in practice. The specializations didn't go far enough in most cases too, the only exception being Arcane Warrior basically. The extra specializations added in Awakening felt tacked on as well. I did like the amount of possibilities mages had and it's the only successful class in this context.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
All the moaning fuckers who said combat was too slow & considered are half the reason we got "awesome button" DA:2 instead.

To be clear, in case you're referencing my usage of "slow", I was not talking about its combat. By slow, I'm mostly talking about its viewport manipulation and to its cutscene-based dialogue.

Also, whoop-dee-doo for playing on Nightmare. I played Nightmare RAVAge on 5/5 settings stacked with separate Smarter AI (which I don't think is online for download anymore; at least, I couldn't find the link when I posted my tactics write-up).

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
People unironically thinking this game is better than deadfire belong to the same species as you, dear lurker !

Everything about DA:O is better than PoE2. Everything. The henchmen are better the story is better the gameplay is better the character building and RPG mechanics are better.

On PoE2 your henchmen disrespect you at every opportunity the game disrespects you the only thing that PoE2 does well is background artwork.

Playing an Arcane warrior bloodmage was fun you really felt like a powerful character. Now compare that to PoE2 where you just steamroll everything for no reason and it is all a joke. Da:O had much more reactivity and options to voice differing opinions. On PoE2 you just say the same retarded bullshit ObCISian wants you to say. It is garbage no wonder PK:F left PoE2 in the dumpster where it belongs.

Falksi

Arcane
All the moaning fuckers who said combat was too slow & considered are half the reason we got "awesome button" DA:2 instead.

To be clear, in case you're referencing my usage of "slow", I was not talking about its combat. By slow, I'm mostly talking about its viewport manipulation and to its cutscene-based dialogue.

Also, whoop-dee-doo for playing on Nightmare. I played Nightmare RAVAge on 5/5 settings stacked with separate Smarter AI (which I don't think is online for download anymore; at least, I couldn't find the link when I posted my tactics write-up).

Fairy muff.

It's not a cock swinging competition regards Nightmare, it's that the game plays far more interestingly in that mode. I'd wager a lot of the comments made against it's combat are by folk who played through in easier modes, which don't prompt you to think as much, and is thus less stimulating and more boring by the very absence of said challenge.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
On PoE2 your henchmen disrespect you at every opportunity the game disrespects you
I can tell you're upset about it, yeah.
Everything people reproach to poe or poe2 is present in DAO, sometimes even more so.
MMOish combat, Shallow character development (gotta spend dem points on each level up son ! Don't forget you're a wizard, no need to add agility or whatever rogue stat they have), shallow henchmen (I mean, they're great as you said. Whenever I think of Alistair I dive into a deep retrospective meditative state on the nature of being a funny sidekick), dungeon design, encounter design and what not.

FFS I can tell you really didn't like that sharkboy hitting on you in deadfire since you're clearly not a
repressedhomorainbow.gif

and that it's a clear case of "disrespectful henchman" but your most important point is that the arcane warrior is fun.
I mean, yeah, it's been fun ever since d&d3 proposed the kit back then, and it's been fun in the dozens of games that features an equivalent of this cliché. Congratz on DAO for having at least one character spec which doesn't lead the player to put all these retard stat gains on level up in the same two stats without giving a single thought about it.

Now that I think of it, before Diablo III was DAO.

As to the rewarding combat, nothing comes close to the high level content of deadfire in DAO.

Then about the rest :
Exploration is both better and more interesting in deadfire.
Combat is better.
Character customisation is much, much better.
Gameplay is much better.
Game is more modular and allows more options.
You don't have to fight waves of shitmobs in brown corridors for hours.
The bestiary offers more than wolves and orcs.
The game features an actual city.
The world of Dragon Age is even more generic and even more clumsily subversive of its genre tropes. Muh capitalism in dwarf city, muh racism in human cities :lol: (btw, supposedly here the biggest gripe people would have with deadfire)

Please.

As I wrote, we'll have to wait ten more years before people actually talk sense about these games. In such a span of time, surely these retarded sjw/anti-sjw considerations will let place to actual critique and eventually, you'll have come out of the closet by then as well.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
The world of Dragon Age is even more generic and even more clumsily subversive of its genre tropes. Muh capitalism in dwarf city, muh racism in human cities :lol: (btw, supposedly here the biggest gripe people would have with deadfire)
Nothing subversive about it. It's just a development of the Tolkienesque tropes of greedy, xenophobic dwarves and fallen elves that thematically fits with what was supposed to be a dark fantasy setting. Not to mention that a variant of it is present within the Witcher setting as well, which I doubt that you'd accuse of SJWism or what not.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Nothing subversive about it. It's just a development of the Tolkienesque tropes of greedy, xenophobic dwarves and fallen elves that thematically fits with what was supposed to be a dark fantasy setting. Not to mention that a variant of it is present within the Witcher setting as well, which I doubt that you'd accuse of SJWism or what not.
You misunderstand my post. I don't tag this as SJW. I tag this as "they're dwarves, but instead of brewing ale and melting mithril, they have administrative issues and some caste system". It's indeed the same in the witcher and I don't like it any better. Nothing to do with sjw considerations, I actually hope for this shit to vanish asap because it really fucks with some people's brains.
In other words : there's nothing any more fantastic about dao's dwarves than about poe's dwarves. They're the same faux-dwarves in both cases.
Didn't DAO include beardless dwarves ? Didn't that generate some thought-provoking articles from the vg press back then ? "Dwarves without beards ? That's the new game from bioware !"
I mean, ok.

Edit : Intellectual debate around the release of dao.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/920668-dragon-age-origins/52308930?page=0

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
You misunderstand my post. I don't tag this as SJW. I tag this as "they're dwarves, but instead of brewing ale and melting mithril, they have administrative issues and some caste system". It's indeed the same in the witcher and I don't like it any better. Nothing to do with sjw considerations, I actually hope for this shit to vanish asap because it really fucks with some people's brains.
Eh, I can share that sentiment in regards to the elven one since it serves to demystify them, particularly with the way in which free elves are portrayed not as aristocratic, but as noble savages. As far as the dwarves are concerned, I think that it built upon its foundation and only served to enrich the lore, without going against it necessarily. The Paragon concept in particular was good stuff in my opinion.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
I can tell you're upset about it, yeah.
Everything people reproach to poe or poe2 is present in DAO, sometimes even more so.
MMOish combat, Shallow character development (gotta spend dem points on each level up son ! Don't forget you're a wizard, no need to add agility or whatever rogue stat they have), shallow henchmen (I mean, they're great as you said. Whenever I think of Alistair I dive into a deep retrospective meditative state on the nature of being a funny sidekick), dungeon design, encounter design and what not.

FFS I can tell you really didn't like that sharkboy hitting on you in deadfire since you're clearly not a
repressedhomorainbow.gif

and that it's a clear case of "disrespectful henchman" but your most important point is that the arcane warrior is fun.
I mean, yeah, it's been fun ever since d&d3 proposed the kit back then, and it's been fun in the dozens of games that features an equivalent of this cliché. Congratz on DAO for having at least one character spec which doesn't lead the player to put all these retard stat gains on level up in the same two stats without giving a single thought about it.

Now that I think of it, before Diablo III was DAO.

As to the rewarding combat, nothing comes close to the high level content of deadfire in DAO.

Then about the rest :
Exploration is both better and more interesting in deadfire.
Combat is better.
Character customisation is much, much better.
Gameplay is much better.
Game is more modular and allows more options.
You don't have to fight waves of shitmobs in brown corridors for hours.
The bestiary offers more than wolves and orcs.
The game features an actual city.

Please.

As I wrote, we'll have to wait ten more years before people actually talk sense about these games. In such a span of time, surely these retarded sjw/anti-sjw considerations will let place to actual critique and eventually, you'll have come out of the closet by then as well.

PoE2 will always remembered as garbage that was out performed by both DoS2 and PF:K (Again in all aspects) whereas DA:O will still be remembered as above average.

Even Zehvran hit on the player character in DA:O but it was handled better (because the writing is better, and more reactive) this because DA:O is a role playing game where you can play a variety of different characters not just the watcher (Such a gay name watcher, compare that with Grey Warden) with a single forced personality.

I am not sure where this delusion of PoE2 being better than DA:O comes from both of them are simple easy to play games but the difference being that DA:O was released in a playable state and PoE2 is still being patched (really needs a performance patch game runs like dog). Objectively comparing the two just looking at the world yes the world of DA:O is generic and this is a good thing much better than the toilet world of PoE2 that tries so hard to be unique but falls short behind walls of boring text. Or the fact it tries desperately to rip off DoS2 by having an inferior ship shoehorned into the game.

In 10 years there will be no birthday for PoE2 because it is forgettable GARBAGE just like Tyranny and ToW. Face the facts Obsidian has not made a good game since Fo:NV and even there the cracks were starting to show. Maybe we can have a memorial service for Nu-Obsidian and laugh at their bad shovelware games.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I like how you make it an obsidian thing. I didn't talk about tyranny or outer worlds. Didn't play the second and couldn't finish the first.
Are you sure you're okay with that "disrespect" business of yours ?

What's the point of debating boors when they foil themselves.

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
I'll be sure to spit on ObCISians grave after that garbage immoral company gets flushed down the toilet.

Now don't be off topic, we're here to pay respect to and celebrate one of the greats (Something PoE will NEVER be).

Say something nice about DA:O.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I liked DAO enough. I couldn't replay through it, because the gameplay is too tedious.

It has good c&c as long as you're a noble human (and male I think ?).

Vatnik Wumao
It has good c&c as long as you're a noble human (and male I think ?).
Besides the relatiionship with the monarch of Ferelden, I wouldn't say that. The Arl Howe family revenge subplot didn't have too much of a punch since its introduction within an origin left no time to develop a strong attachment to the Human Noble PC's family and their subsequent plight.

The dwarven noble story on the other hand gave weight to the choosing of the dwarven king not only through your blood ties to Bhelen, but also possibly because of your bastard son as it were. And geopolitically, you'd be interested not only in who ends up on the throne in Orzammar, but also in Ferelden, as well as plot points such as whether the Chantry should be allowed or not in Orzammar, whether the Circle of Ferelden should remain (thus facilitating the lyrium trade) and the choice of a royal boon at the end of the game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think all origins had good connections to the political problems posed in the game. Mages with the way they are sent off to the circles, city elves with being a marginalized minority, wild elves with their nomadic nature in direct conflict with the humans, both dwarf origins having a stake in the politics of the dwarf city, and of course the human noble can become king/queen. I think DA:O asked relevant and contemporary questions with maybe only casteless dwarves and city elves being an extreme form of oppressed group and a bit preachy. The way it was handled after that, however, leaves a bit to be desired.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IWD2 does not have trashmobs at all (unless one soloes as Sorcerer or Dreadmaster or something).

I wouldn't call them all trash, but most maps have too many combat encounters. I found it tiring to play without taking breaks (up until the final area, which is great).

Last edited:

pm_675

Arbiter
I liked DAO a lot when it was released, perhaps because there weren't many RPG being released at the time, and being so utterly disappointed with the sequel that I swore off Bioware.

Even so, the game had problems. Combat was a slog. Not only because the number of enemies (they were a little too much) but because they were very samey. The mage tower was full of copy pasted demos every 3 meters, the forest werewolves and the rest of the game was darkspawn, darkspawn and more darkspawn. Roguey posted pic problem wasn't only the 3000 kills to finish the game but that a more than a third were human(oids) and darkspawn (essentially more humanoids). Variety was crap in that game.

Also I remember that the attributes were kinda pointless.

Also, whoop-dee-doo for playing on NighItmare. played Nightmare RAVAge on 5/5 settings stacked with separate Smarter AI (which I don't think is online for download anymore; at least, I couldn't find the link when I posted my tactics write-up).

This one? https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4081 yeah modder drama makes it difficult to find, lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom