Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne: A Mostly Comprehensive Review

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Lesifoere said:
Lol at "uncharted territories." Do cartographers even put that in real maps?

Not to mention that one might think that an area marked like that would have been completely blank.

relootz

Scholar
What kind of a moron reads these books anyway?

Books based on an extended universe of a Computer game.

What literary quality do you expect?

Elzair

Cipher
relootz said:
What kind of a moron reads these books anyway?

Books based on an extended universe of a Computer game.

What literary quality do you expect?

To be honest, I expected it to be bad. I was not disappointed.

kris

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Mmm, WoW zones.

The Hinterlands = The Hinterlands
West Hill = Westfall
Southron Hills = Southshore ("southron" is also used in Tolkien, I think?)
Frostback Mountains = Icecrown Glacier

There is nothing really wrong with "descriptive" names. In an ancient country like China for example many things are named in a desciptive manner (Bei-jing=Northern-capital). It is just terribly uninspiring and if the names are not connected to some history or other thing then they are stupid.

Also names in a country should mostly follow the same convention. Again, history, old cities could have been named in another way than new ones. Some could have new names.

Junior Boy

Educated
Good review, fair and pretty accurate. I'm someone who reads these kind of books, and no matte how many times I cringe, I still keep coming back.

The writing is so formulaic, no matter the author. It would be awesome to see what someone skilled could do with a fantasy/crpg setting.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
aries202 said:
I find that both David Gaider Drew Karpyshun does not follow Hemingways's advice of 'showing, not telling'. Drew's writing in 'Revelation' shows this, already from the first page it does. He is talking about how religion has changed, describing it, instead of having people talking about it. The same goes for David Gaider when describing battles and such.

However, since I haven't read any fantasy novels out there for quite a long time, I don't know if David Gaider's style of writing are better or not than other writers, say the writers that write the books for the D&D series...

Read Drew Karpyshun's Temple Hill? It wasnt a great novel but I thought it perfectly captured the mind of Fantasy combat. I have read at least 80 fantasy novels and Temple Hill was the combat fantasy king of fantasy novels. I was so moved that I posted a thread at teamxbox stating that Bioware could use a writer like that guy. Little did I know he was already working for Bioware.

In Temple Hill Karpyshun describes a batter from the mind of a Naga. He is the only writer to actually make me feel the fear caused by a silence spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom