Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

La vie sexuelle

Learned

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Any summary? Is it more than thirty minutes of "We love Origins, that's why we changed everything. The most important thing for us was the body type and skin color options. I'm a woman, by the way."

It's pretty much just a 30 minute video with all the stuff that Game Informer has been dripfeeding articles about for the last month or so, I don't think there's any new information if you've read those other than a few background clips of areas.

The main thing that stood out to me was them not so subtly shitting all over the stories, companions and combat of all the previous Dragon Age games. They also seem very convinced that centring the game on a party full of DMPCs that you probably can't escape from for most of the game because they're supposedly essential to progressing the plot is something to be proud of. I thought maybe some of that stuff in the articles was taken out of context or exaggerated but it's all there in the video.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Any summary? Is it more than thirty minutes of "We love Origins, that's why we changed everything. The most important thing for us was the body type and skin color options. I'm a woman, by the way."

It's pretty much just a 30 minute video with all the stuff that Game Informer has been dripfeeding articles about for the last month or so, I don't think there's any new information if you've read those other than a few background clips of areas.

The main thing that stood out to me was them not so subtly shitting all over the stories, companions and combat of all the previous Dragon Age games. They also seem very convinced that centring the game on a party full of DMPCs that you probably can't escape from for most of the game because they're supposedly essential to progressing the plot is something to be proud of. I thought maybe some of that stuff in the articles was taken out of context or exaggerated but it's all there in the video.
lol you watched this garbage

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The main thing that stood out to me was them not so subtly shitting all over the stories, companions and combat of all the previous Dragon Age games.

A recent headline:

1721505172708.png

This is really classless shit. Not only does saying stuff like this makes you look like a clown, it also disrespects everyone that worked on the previous games, and the IP as a whole. If you, the developer, say shit like "yeah well, now we're making a good game," it reeks of desperation.

Not to mention that when it comes out and combat is bad, people are going to roast you.

Modern day marketers man, the second they realize they can't twitter bot their way to success they just flail wildly.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I mean combat in previous entries isn't exactly the high mark.

I really, really doubt that Veilguard will exceed even that. If anything, they've been going backwards since the quality is Origins>DA2>Inquisition. I don't remember the other two games well, but I remember Inquisition combat being mindless buttonmashing against damage sponge enemies.

And judging from their gameplay video, it's the same thing for Veilguard except with anime moves and particle effects.

Camel

Scholar
Then why would you take that strategy away and replace it with this?

Based on this obvious lie I also looked through Busche's previous games and from what I can see it's stuff like Tiger Woods, the Sims and a few other random not-RPGs, seems like a weird choice for Game Director for a big RPG but admittedly I'm no expert. I should probably be more mad at the likes of Patrick Weekes who's been at Bioware for nearly 2 decades and is fanning the flames of decline than Busche who just seems like a standard EA drone who probably doesn't care a whit whether they're working on an RPG, FPS or Battle Chess.
This is a pretty damning number of dislikes.
Z79DfvC.png

8LdAUJr.png

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
The writers morally oppose it. That's actually crazy to me. Or maybe they're just lazy and they're lying about why they didnt want to make a cool class because it would take effort.
Oh no , Bioware quite a few times pretty much said that doing things like Origins or Alternative path ain't worth for them because most players never play anything other than mostly Paragon/Good in their games. It's one of reason why they removed Paragon/Renegade from Andromeda.

9ted6

Educated
More cringe,

Something I hate about modern games and don't really know how to describe is how they do explosion and impact sounds. You can really notice it in this video but it's true of almost every major release for the past decade.

Explosions are extremely dull, muffled, dampened, muddied, whatever you wanna call them. Compare a grenade explosion from an older CoD to CoD WW2, or an explosion in DAO to an explosion in this trailer and you'll see what I mean. They always sound like a dull thud, almost something like a dubstep wub.

Also this video has some of the worst writing and delivery I've ever seen. It's hilarious they show a PC dialogue option mean absolutely nothing and follow it up with how they're trying to give the player as much agency as possible.

Vatnik Wumao
It's hilarious they show a PC dialogue option mean absolutely nothing and follow it up with how they're trying to give the player as much agency as possible.
Going by their whole spiel throughout, seems that they're more interested in giving agency to the companions than to the PC...

TheDarkUrge

Educated
The writers morally oppose it. That's actually crazy to me. Or maybe they're just lazy and they're lying about why they didnt want to make a cool class because it would take effort.
Oh no , Bioware quite a few times pretty much said that doing things like Origins or Alternative path ain't worth for them because most players never play anything other than mostly Paragon/Good in their games. It's one of reason why they removed Paragon/Renegade from Andromeda.
Yeah that's the case in a lot of CRPG if not all of them, but the option to choose evil usually enhances that good path feeling so it's not really smart to cut it entirely I think. Also I find it incredibly sad how boring most players are to never even try evil. It's funnier in my opinion and more unique to play evil than the million of hero stories. There are more ways to be evil than there are to be good so I think those stories can be a lot more interesting if done right and not cartoon villain style.

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

lol you watched this garbage
He did. But YOU will play it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it also disrespects everyone that worked on the previous games, and the IP as a whole
That's a bonus to these people.
Not just a bonus, they get to shit all over a superior work of much more talented people (especially cishet white males) and make core gamers (which are 90% white males) angry. AND they get paid royally. For that one can even endure actually working for 3 hours a day, four days a week, although barely.

This has been happening all over the entertainment sphere for years now.

Semiurge

Cipher
I mean combat in previous entries isn't exactly the high mark.

It was more than ok in DA:O. Every combat situation gave you an opportunity to try something different, especially when there were high-level mages in the party. This new shit looks to be extremely boring with like only nine abilities available, total.

My favorites in Origins? 'Virulent Walking Bomb' in crowded spaces, 'Animate Dead' everywhere else.

:evilcodex:

More cringe,

Something I hate about modern games and don't really know how to describe is how they do explosion and impact sounds. You can really notice it in this video but it's true of almost every major release for the past decade.

Explosions are extremely dull, muffled, dampened, muddied, whatever you wanna call them. Compare a grenade explosion from an older CoD to CoD WW2, or an explosion in DAO to an explosion in this trailer and you'll see what I mean. They always sound like a dull thud, almost something like a dubstep wub.

Also this video has some of the worst writing and delivery I've ever seen. It's hilarious they show a PC dialogue option mean absolutely nothing and follow it up with how they're trying to give the player as much agency as possible.

Fallout 3 had pretty satisfying explosion sounds, especially the ones heard in the distance. They sounded real, and Witcher 3 has other deep thumps that can serioulsy startle if you use a subwoofer.

sosmoflux

Educated
I sadly watched that video and came away thinking that each of those people were lying to themselves more than lying to us.

Vatnik Wumao
I sadly watched that video and came away thinking that each of those people were lying to themselves more than lying to us.
Quite sad in the case of Darrah imho since he seems capable enough when it comes to analyzing his former works and criticizing the bad in them.

Old Hans

Arcane
The main thing that stood out to me was them not so subtly shitting all over the stories, companions and combat of all the previous Dragon Age games.

A recent headline:

View attachment 52522

This is really classless shit. Not only does saying stuff like this makes you look like a clown, it also disrespects everyone that worked on the previous games, and the IP as a whole. If you, the developer, say shit like "yeah well, now we're making a good game," it reeks of desperation.

Not to mention that when it comes out and combat is bad, people are going to roast you.

Modern day marketers man, the second they realize they can't twitter bot their way to success they just flail wildly.
they're like protestants

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Thank you for the summary.

Don't you get the impression that these ads look less like actual advertising and more like strange propaganda, where the most dedicated supporters are prepared for failure and subsequent rationalization a la "gloria victis"?

Quite sad in the case of Darrah imho since he seems capable enough when it comes to analyzing his former works and criticizing the bad in them.

Analysis doesn't matter if you don't learn anything, and he actually de-evolved.
More cringe,

Who cares anyway?

Me. A bit.

That's because you're a perpetually horny Frenchman with low standards.

This is your point of view. It is no coincidence that "joie de vivre" is a French proverb and "weltschmerz" is a German one.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I will be playing Greedfall 1 after i finish long list of good rpgs i have in my library, rather than playing this shit.
I saw the trailer, even wishlisted in on Steam as it is my personal duty to play most games in my beloved genre but i have feeling
it will be much worse than Inquisition part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom