Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Heavily disagree since you can plan in advance how to design various scenes as to reduce the amount of necessary tweaking that has to be done. Voice actors having to voice all of a protagonist's lines on the other hand requires more money.

Developers specifically cited cinematics as the issue. DAI featured the return of the different race options (and the addition of qunari) because they had more time and they didn't have to sacrifice voice acting to do it. With Dragon Age II, they had months to make it, there just wasn't time.

Vatnik Wumao
Developers specifically cited cinematics as the issue. DAI featured the return of the different race options (and the addition of qunari) because they had more time and they didn't have to sacrifice voice acting to do it.
They didn't sacrifice voice acting, but they dumbed it down. DAI's wheel-based dialogue is nowhere near the level of quality that DAO's dialogue had.

Yosharian

Arcane
Screenshot-20220603-120543.png

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Developers specifically cited cinematics as the issue. DAI featured the return of the different race options (and the addition of qunari) because they had more time and they didn't have to sacrifice voice acting to do it.
They didn't sacrifice voice acting, but they dumbed it down. DAI's wheel-based dialogue is nowhere near the level of quality that DAO's dialogue had.
Level of quality dialogue like why all the female characters out of nowhere suddenly wanted to suck your dick and there is nothing memorable about the story and dialogue otherwise?

Vatnik Wumao
Level of quality dialogue like
Like...
it was precisely that redundancy that made DAO stand out with its dialogue system since those choices served to inform the PC's outlook on things and thus made every PC feel well characterized throughout several playthroughs even when doing some of the same actions in terms of C&C since the reasoning you picked for the PC's decisions was different for each character.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Expecting from literally bunch of not even merry trannies but angry trannies to make quality entertainment for straight white males, few years before inevitable future Civil War, is more clownish then naive. Giving enemy 50h of your lifetime to play game where everything screams at you: DIE STRAIGHT WHITE MALE! is next level cuckening

Only entertainment that can be found here is in mocking and laughing at said smug trannies

Bioware is dead. Stop kissing with ghost
Can't wait for Archaelund's beta

GreyViper

Prophet
Think we're going to get a decent pron game out of this, since as its been stated made by angry trannies or will the writing be subpar or worse than in Corruption of Champions 2? I mean hard to beat CoC2, BG2 and as its implied in Origins knocking companions up with children.
Jokes aside, Im bit baffled people having fond memories of 2nd game, as much as I liked male Hawke and Varric compared to Origins and even DAI it was a bland mess, sure you could shag Merryl, but as we saw with Amberturd don't do crazy.

Aarwolf

Learned
I promised myself to be more positive, so that's that.

Or maybe I will die of laughter, in a killing joke manner, idk :)

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We aren't getting any good romance options, are we?
Fuck off with romances in videogames, holy shit! Completely wasted resources. Might as well just burn money, it's the same thing. At least GTA San Andreas tried to go further with the "romance" by having a sex mini game and look at the shit storm they got.

Edit: typos because autocorrect because mobile because why not.

No. I like some romance in my stories, although I don't want the story to be about romance (aka dumb artificial relationship drama).

Sadly, Bioware no longer thinks males are deserving of non-ugly romance options. :(

Camel

Scholar
Remember a few years ago when the voice actor of Allister whom the obese whales love released a video where he LARPS as Allister while declaring his support for trump? That was hilarious, lol.
You're confusing unrelated voice actor with the Cullen's voice actor Greg Ellis who's indeed a Trump supporter which caused unimaginable angst and butthurt for Cullen fangirls.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am going through a Bioware Marathon these days. It is a sad marathon to be in.

I have started by playing the Mass Effect remasters and despite its flaws, I have loved it. Eager for more, I played Mass Effect : Andromeda after this one, hoping it would not be as bad as people would say.
And you know ?
It actually wasn't.

While the story was effortless, while the characters were a bit awkward, the shooting was fun, the realisation (patched) was more than acceptable, and the overall feeling of the game was somewhat positive.
Then I played the Dragon Age series.

Origins was definitely okay.
The trouble started with the expansions that felt half assed and while I acquired them legally, I had to resort to hacks and pirated versions to make it work.
Dragon Age 2 was terrible and repetitive, but not a nightmare to go through. I liked Hawke, but none of the other party members I managed to care about.

I'm playing Inquisition these days.

Of all this "marathon", this game is the worse.
I have actually started to set the difficulty to "easy" so that it gets over quicker.
The characters are embarassing.
The gameplay is a MMO except the zoning is weird as fuck. I have spent far too much time getting killed everywhere on the map until I found that one spot I was actually meant to do some progress in.
When the story tries to do something interesting, I find that it has been uninteresting for too long and I have no idea what the characters are talking about. The french translation probably doesn't help as I seem to have noticed some mistakes here and there that contribute to make the entire game a blur.

Last time I played, I spent 30 minutes downing a boss. The battle involved pushing the R shoulder button repeatedly, mashing random button when my abilities had cooled down, but most of the actual battle (probably 20 minutes of it) was spent crying over my lack of potions and from red skull to red skull to revive fallen companions.

You know what ? Andromeda got a bad rap. I can get that. After having played I understand fully the criticism. But it is a much, much better game than Inquisition.

I should give up, but I made it this far, it's going to be over soon, I hope, it'd be stupid to give up.

Can't wait to play Anthem.

Dycedarg

Learned
I'm playing Inquisition these days.

Of all this "marathon", this game is the worse.
I have actually started to set the difficulty to "easy" so that it gets over quicker.

I was really surprised when both the critics and the public had such a negative reaction to Andromeda. Not because the game didn't deserve it, but because most of the criticism directed at it could just as easily be targeted at Inquisition. It's interesting to see how a game that was critically acclaimed (to the point of winning Game of the Year on the Game Awards) and financially succesful could do so much damage to a studio.

Ryzer

Arcane
I was really surprised when both the critics and the public had such a negative reaction to Andromeda.
Part of the backlash was caused by atrociously bad animations and downright retarded writing for a Mass effect game, people judged that highly due to recent Witcher 3 release, it was unacceptable. Furthermore, The devs posted multiple shitposts on Twitter, It obviously backfired.

Edit:
I am going through a Bioware Marathon these days. It is a sad marathon to be in.
And what about Kotor or Jade Empire?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's just that bisexual lighting is very trendy now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom