Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Yea. Getting the travel times wrong. THAT'S the lore rape DAI commits.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
TBH, why doesn't everyone forget DA2/Inquisition exists, accept that it's sad thing Dragon Age never got sequal, and move on with his life

Duraframe300

Arcane
Search Dragon Age: DreadWolf developers. Start with Patrick Weeks. Sick, retarded, political zealots who bleed from their self inflicted wounds where once their micro penises proudly wiggled - do NOT make good RPGs. Modern Dragon Age audience consists of trannies, lispy gays, hendicaps, smug lesbians, fat feminists, ANTIFA etc. I'm not exaggerating. They are making game for their audience
I'll say it again. Patrick Weekes once reduced Jessica's Alba's entire worth as a human being to *just a sex object*. Now he's a blue haired tranny.

Be aware of the extreme flip-floppers. They be the worst.
Source?
In a conversation with Sawyer no less

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15098&postcount=32

This is like Jessica Alba saying that she wouldn't strip in Sin City because she didn't want to be seen as just a sex object. Jessica, you are just a sex object. That's all you have going for you. Sawyer, you do write masturbatory fantasy indulgence.
Of course, less than a decade later, the same guy virtue signals with the best of them.

MichaelB

Literate
Search Dragon Age: DreadWolf developers. Start with Patrick Weeks. Sick, retarded, political zealots who bleed from their self inflicted wounds where once their micro penises proudly wiggled - do NOT make good RPGs. Modern Dragon Age audience consists of trannies, lispy gays, hendicaps, smug lesbians, fat feminists, ANTIFA etc. I'm not exaggerating. They are making game for their audience
I'll say it again. Patrick Weekes once reduced Jessica's Alba's entire worth as a human being to *just a sex object*. Now he's a blue haired tranny.

Be aware of the extreme flip-floppers. They be the worst.
Source?
In a conversation with Sawyer no less

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15098&postcount=32

This is like Jessica Alba saying that she wouldn't strip in Sin City because she didn't want to be seen as just a sex object. Jessica, you are just a sex object. That's all you have going for you. Sawyer, you do write masturbatory fantasy indulgence.
Of course, less than a decade later, the same guy virtue signals with the best of them.
Do you think he notices the difference? Like, does it register in-consciousness that he's holding beliefs radically opposite to the ones he used to hold? Because I dont think so.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just idly spun up DA:I again in one of my periodic fits of graphics whoredom, and I have to say that the Descent DLC is pretty darn good as a dungeon crawl - atmospheric and 'ard as nails if you're underleveled on Nightmare, with stretches where you can't save, so you have to learn (in fact I'm going to have to pause where I am now until I get some more levels, which I think is how the developers intended you to play it - it starts out just normal then ramps up, and up - or rather down :) ). It really makes the (I now think) rather well-realized action-ey combat shine too. The whole experience is - well, rather good actually, much more like what the game should have been like all the way through.

Minimal faggotry and less of the horrible open world collection crap that plagues the main game, maximal cool dwarf lore and combat. The bickering between the two dwarves is fun too (one of them is well-voiced by David Hayter).

jackofshadows

Magister
I remember playing on nightmare is really, really burdened by the lack of proper tactical camera (not the one that hover around character ankles) and of course inproper controls, oriented for controlling the MC only + tactics menu (which isn't entirely useless but cannot really handle the positioning). So... unless there are some super-duper mods that fix that all, as a dungeon crawler it sucks due to those issues alone (and playing on anything below nightmare is too boring by default).

Dedicated_Dark

Liturgist
I'm playing Inquisition right now. And you know what it's kind of fun. We hardly find good third person action medieval fantasy games with custom character creation outside of Bethesda.The main issue is expectations attached to the Dragon Age name. But to be frank, DAO was self contained, everything was wrapped with a nice bow tie. DA2 and DAI are different games, these wankers in DAI sang when they found Skyhold, I relived my childhood church congregation and was waiting for the sermon.

For all it's faults they are still decent games and they still have better writing than usual AAA trash. Just think of all the garbage that comes out, I mean any Ubi game from the past 5 years for example. Or any Sony/Microsoft 1st party title. And better gameplay and build variety as well. Combat is fun as well, in a button mashy way where you just watch your build do things. When games like Horizon Boredom Dawn and Dad of War are critically acclaimed and almost unfun to play. I think DAI is fine, it's stands up better now dislocated from the expectations of 2014. And generally as long as you don't engage with the filler content, it even becomes quite good.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
I'm playing Inquisition right now. And you know what it's kind of fun. We hardly find good third person action medieval fantasy games with custom character creation outside of Bethesda.The main issue is expectations attached to the Dragon Age name. But to be frank, DAO was self contained, everything was wrapped with a nice bow tie. DA2 and DAI are different games, these wankers in DAI sang when they found Skyhold, I relived my childhood church congregation and was waiting for the sermon.

For all it's faults they are still decent games and they still have better writing than usual AAA trash. Just think of all the garbage that comes out, I mean any Ubi game from the past 5 years for example. Or any Sony/Microsoft 1st party title. And better gameplay and build variety as well. Combat is fun as well, in a button mashy way where you just watch your build do things. When games like Horizon Boredom Dawn and Dad of War are critically acclaimed and almost unfun to play. I think DAI is fine, it's stands up better now dislocated from the expectations of 2014. And generally as long as you don't engage with the filler content, it even becomes quite good.
Inquisition looks and plays like numerous generic MMOs. Have you tried playing those?

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

If you think Chantry followers singing and emulating a church choir is the worst thing about DAI, I'd say you have serious cognitive issues.

"Oh my God! The in-setting faux-Church wannabe is acting like the real Church! So triggered!!!!!"
- retarded cunt.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Some people get butthurt whenever anything nice is said about DA:I.

Look, here's the beef. In many ways, I agree it's a terrible game - the faggotry, the grll power, the overwrought open world with its febrile collection mania, the weak villain, etc. But what is actually quite good about DA:I is that they did finally perfect and refine a way of having a simplified, streamlined system of 3rd person party fantasy combat gameplay, a system that they'd started working with from KOTOR on down.

Even with DA:O and DA2, they were still falling between the two stools of biting the 3rd person bullet and trying to retain distant memories of isometric gameplay. With this game, they fully committed to 3rd person combat that you can be in most of the time, and it's actually better for it.

Sure, it would have been cool if the game had had a proper tactical view as well (there is actually a mod for it, but it's a bit fussy to implement), but you don't actually need tactical view (except in the direst emergencies on Nightmare) because the way it's set up, it actually plays very well in 3rd person with AI-controlled companions, most of the time. It would also have been cool if the AI had been better, and they'd had an extensive AI conditionals setup like DA:O (especially with the even better mods for that), or like Pillars 2. But I suppose that's console retardation for you. Can't have too many menus and lists to navigate, after all. :)

Essentially, like Skyrim, the combat is enjoyable if you don't pine for it to be what it's not but just accept it for what it is. There's the meta question of whether such simplified combat systems should be acceptable as "RPG", whether the pitchforks should be out for something better in relation to the good name of the genre. But that's a separate question from just looking at what's implemented and judging its quality for what it is in itself.

One of the things about the term "lowest common denominator" is that it applies to people like us too. While it doesn't refer to what we love (e.g. I love intricate turn-based tactical gameplay and deep simulationist mechanics and build systems) it can refer to something that's enjoyable enough. And I maintain that just the 3rd person party combat as it is, plus the pure dungeon crawling of the DLC Descent is the lowest-common-denominator that actually works for this game, it's more like what the game should have been: big battles with hordes of enemies, with tougher elites and bosses. With that DLC it becomes a proper, lowest-common-denominator-enjoyable PC game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, we've come to the point of praising simplified party mechanics and saying that technically we should also like the lowest common denominator type design. What a time to be alive.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So, we've come to the point of praising simplified party mechanics and saying that technically we should also like the lowest common denominator type design. What a time to be alive.

As I said:-

There's the meta question of whether such simplified combat systems should be acceptable as "RPG", whether the pitchforks should be out for something better in relation to the good name of the genre. But that's a separate question from just looking at what's implemented and judging its quality for what it is in itself.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Inquisition was fucking shit based on its Gameplay loop alone. This horrid abomination that did not know what it wanted to be. Arcady bullshit with no weight.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected

Look, here's the beef. In many ways, I agree it's a terrible game - the faggotry, the grll power, the overwrought open world with its febrile collection mania, the weak villain, etc. But what is actually quite good about DA:I is that they did finally perfect and refine a way of having a simplified, streamlined system of 3rd person party fantasy combat gameplay, a system that they'd started working with from KOTOR on down.

Even with DA:O and DA2, they were still falling between the two stools of biting the 3rd person bullet and trying to retain distant memories of isometric gameplay. With this game, they fully committed to 3rd person combat that you can be in most of the time, and it's actually better for it.

Sure, it would have been cool if the game had had a proper tactical view as well (there is actually a mod for it, but it's a bit fussy to implement), but you don't actually need tactical view (except in the direst emergencies on Nightmare) because the way it's set up, it actually plays very well in 3rd person with AI-controlled companions, most of the time. It would also have been cool if the AI had been better, and they'd had an extensive AI conditionals setup like DA:O (especially with the even better mods for that), or like Pillars 2. But I suppose that's console retardation for you. Can't have too many menus and lists to navigate, after all. :)

Essentially, like Skyrim, the combat is enjoyable if you don't pine for it to be what it's not but just accept it for what it is. There's the meta question of whether such simplified combat systems should be acceptable as "RPG", whether the pitchforks should be out for something better in relation to the good name of the genre. But that's a separate question from just looking at what's implemented and judging its quality for what it is in itself.

One of the things about the term "lowest common denominator" is that it applies to people like us too. While it doesn't refer to what we love (e.g. I love intricate turn-based tactical gameplay and deep simulationist mechanics and build systems) it can refer to something that's enjoyable enough. And I maintain that just the 3rd person party combat as it is, plus the pure dungeon crawling of the DLC Descent is the lowest-common-denominator that actually works for this game, it's more like what the game should have been: big battles with hordes of enemies, with tougher elites and bosses. With that DLC it becomes a proper, lowest-common-denominator-enjoyable PC game.
Is it a good game? Yes or no.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

You may have fun with the game but the game is shit, especially when compared to the greatness of Origins. Smoother gameplay? Yes. Build variety? No, I think it's way less than in Origins. Filler content? 99% is filler content. It's an offline MMO. The tactics systems were simply destroyed as well. The tactical camera has one good aspect in that it allows you to fly around and see the field from any angle. I could go on, there's so much.
DAI is a dumbed down game by every conceivable metric compared to Origins. I just pretend it doesn't exist.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
DAO was mediocre at best but was valued higher because it came out during a CRPG drought. The rest of the series is irredeemable garbage so bad it retroactively tainted the original.

Much like Drag Queen Story Hour and books about gender theory, it and its proponents are deluded harmful individuals and all of it and them belong on a well-stoked pyre.

Expecting anything but trite derivative woke trash from the next game is an obvious sign of mental retardation and an inability to learn from example.

This thread should not exist in the first place.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The party combat in DA:I is completely broken and the best thing about the two former games - the Tactics - is utterly trashed. Party combat is exactly what DA:I fucked up.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Is it a good game? Yes or no.

I thought I was clear: out of the box, no; in that particular DLC, yes. That DLC represents something more like what the game should have been like all the way through.

Suicidal

Arcane
What next Codex?

"Oh, ArcaniA was not such a bad game after all"

"What's wrong with my mouth? It's covered in shit? No way, that's not shit, that's delicious chocolate!"

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
ArcaniA was legitimately such a bad game, though. Even if you had no idea what Gothic was, never played any of the other games, its still just bad.
iBwo8zS.jpg

I actually think I should go back to Inquisition and beat it with the DLC. No completionist autism, might even cheat myself some money/herbs/whatever, and go through it to see the characters and plot, and hope for a good next installment. How many hours is it, if I don't search every corner and loot every chest and do every fetch quest?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom