Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

ropetight

Savant
This is the most pointless argument. Anybody who's seen any fantasy media in the past few years will know there's no attempt to explain why there's all these diverse-looking elves, humans and dwarves running around.

Have you guys not mocked Rings of Power? It's good fun.

They don't even have the decency to sort of imply there's some eastern "dragon lands" or some shit. That's too much work. No, in these donut steel OC settings, they just exist. Because diversity means you don't have to put effort into your worldbuilding.

It's pointless. Just shame it as corporate slop and move on. Nobody* expects this to be good.

*with good taste

Her name is Bellara for fuck's sake.
It is also compatible with the current retconning of the history where all the races have been present in significant numbers in the west since dawn of the time (Blacks and Arabs in the UK and Nordic countries, Chinese in the North America).
For cucks this is a valid worldbuilding, since we are naturally all getting along just fine in the real life.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
diversity
There are plenty of diverse identity in Thedas, you just care too much about Asian-coded character, because you're neck deep on culture war.

Not according to the lore. Humans aren't even native to the continent of Thedas, and when they arrived, it was as a monolithic prototribe.

From the wikia:

The first human tribe, the Neromenians, divided into various tribes to become the progenitors of many nations in Thedas. This tribe settled the entire coast along the Nocen Sea and subdivided into separate kingdoms: Qarinus, Tevinter, Neromenian, and Barindur. The former three ultimately united to form the Tevinter Imperium while the latter disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

It is very unlikely to have resulted in much diversity, but now we are really are deep into the weeds of shit that the actual writers, who get paid, didn't care about.

Shitposter
The lore also says there are literally unaccountable number of revisions to the chant of light - and chant of light is part of the main historical reference to the game.

As for these abstract ancient historical lore, it's easy to explain, whether it's magic or just another result of mutation etc. The fair critique would be: "It's not clearly explained" - and to that I say, it doesn't need to be. Most people playing Dragon Age doesn't looking for the joos or blacks on video games.

They want to know about Chantry v Mage v Templar conflict. City Elf vs Dalish vs Chantry. The Blight, Darkspawn. The truth about Andraste. Not something that is culture war coded.

The misinterpretation and reinterpretation of history is pretty much Dragon Age topic. It doesn't have reliable narrator except for maybe Ferdinand Genitivi. It's an account of somebody who see the world through their own lens - and these are the lore that directly interact with the event, not just from the lore book like "The World of Thedas", which is pretty much an abstract.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
As expected,
VsyF1rZ.png
This is my prediction: they will plagiarise Earthdawn/Shadowrun and have the mere act of using blood magic weaken the veil further, thus make it no-no for the failguards.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I suspect that's giving them too much credit but will be interesting to see. I've not wanted to pirate a game in a long time, but given this shit show I'm tempted, just to see what they have done.

Aarwolf

Learned
Why should we even care at this moment? It's just for laughs, nothing more.

What is curious to me is how the sales will be? Inquisition sold 6 mln copies, and was the best selling Bioware game ever. Anthem sold 5 mln and was considered a failure, b/c EA expected it to sell 20+ mln. Andromeda sold 5 mln also, so we can say that the "core" audience for Bioware was at that time around that.

To put things in pespective, DOS2 sold 7,5 mln copies, and BG3 is estimated to sold 15+ mln. Assasins Creed Valhalla sold 1,8 mln copies in its first week, and made Ubisoft 1 bln $ in revenue. AS Odyssey sold 10 mln copies. God of War 2018 (a game DA4 tries to mimic) sold 5 mln copies in its first month and 25 mln overall - about 5 times better than Bioware can expect DA4 to sell.

So, if they even want to break even, how much DA4 should sell? I'm not talking about pleasing EA, that seems impossible at this point.

Ps - I try to compare DA4 to games that have similiar commercial potential, I'm not talking about behemots like Red Dead Redemption 2 (65 mln copies) or Witcher 3 (50 mln copies).

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Earthdawn

Man, that's a name I haven't heard in... well over two decades now?

It's still being publ...

"In 2016, Vagrant Workshop released the Age of Legend edition (...) marketed as being "ideal for one-shots, convention games, and introductory games — even for kids!"

Oh, never mind.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
"We quickly learned and realized that the absolute beating heart of this game is these authentic, diverse companions." - Game Director Corinne Bushe
coming from Bioware of all things... modern sure, but still studio that was known for varied companions

also nerdy asian... really subtle, totally not racist just like hip-hop music playing when black samurai is fighting asians in new ass creed

Vatnik Wumao
Told you so.
Yeah. Can't say that I am particularly invested in DA lore as to properly theorycraft.
This is my prediction: they will plagiarise Earthdawn/Shadowrun and have the mere act of using blood magic weaken the veil further, thus make it no-no for the failguards.
Which is complete nonsense since blood magic is precisely the kind of magic that doesn't require interacting with the Fade, same as with blight magic.

Zlaja

Arcane
It's convenient to ignore that Black Cock, sorry, Black Rock - is not the "biggest" entity out there

They handle 8 trillion dollars. Also, they aren't the only investment institution who's involved in applying a type of credit score on the financial market based on "social values".

And Amazon is known to be so woke. They produce The Boys Season 4.

They also produce the likes of Rings of Power. Also, Amazon isn't in the same line of business.

Let's ignore the working condition in their storages, Union busting

Those things are not highest on the priority list for a positive social credit score and are offset by adhering to things like DEI (Diversity-Equity-Inclusion).

But I'd rather be in real world

In the real world that's a typical 'Asian female' design, when created by LGBT activists (disregarding the ears). The same type of activists who are responsible for basically all female character designs in companies like today's Bioware and others in the Western AAA sphere. Carefully designed not to be found too attractive by straight males and to avoid adhering to the East-Asian beauty standard.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why is the egalitarian, anti-Tevinter faction named Shadow Dragons?

Can I side with Tevinter? I unironically think that there is nothing more evil than egalitarism. Nothing brought more misery, famine, Tyranny and suffering than egalitarism IRL. And name one magocracy plagued by corruption, ineficiency and race to the bottom. Glantri, Thay, Netheril

The problem with """"diversity"""" is the following. If the setting is Asian inspired, African Inspired, middle Eastern Inspired, Mesoamerican, etc is "muh cultural appropriation" so you can only have Europeanesque settings. And the "diversity" can only be archived by """diversifying"""" European cultures hence everything fells the same.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
While we on that topic - what the fuck is a chud? Is that some new age fuckwit word or are we talking about the Russian folklore 'chud' which is in fact pretty awesome?

Shitposter
In the real world that's a typical 'Asian female' design
You gotta stop this schizo-esque thinking of applying subjective lens as a fact in your brain.

European cultures
It's Thedas culture. European culture influences some of it not all of it. You gotta stop sucking propagandist dick because it turns you into a Parrot, man. You're headcanoning so hard some people called it "Conspiracy theory".

magine the amount of estrogen pills one would need to take daily to unironically use the word 'CHUD'.
Ah The "I have of plenty Black Cock picture on my Hardisk" Jester. My best fan and admirer.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
That's the joke
You're not joking.

You're looking for other chud to suck, my dude. It's chud-affirming shit.
Imagine the amount of estrogen pills one would need to take daily to unironically use the word 'CHUD'.
There's a very obvious anti-fan circlejerk here, and some posts are clear mating calls for these anti-fans to find each other and affirm each other's anti-fandom.
Your last few posts ITT are saying you are sexually attracted to gnomes, asking people who disagree if they were groomed in Discord, pride flag shit, lugenpresse comments, calling people who disagree vermin, Solas more like Soulless LMAOOOOO, why does this game even have gameplay make it a VN, ugh it was a different time back when Neverwinter Nights had this 4k fanart in the game as an ingame model ugh, and estrogen pills.
As in, fuck all to do with the game, and just vibe signals to vibe up with the other vibrators here who don't even play video games.

Friendly reminder, anti-fans are fans. You are a Bioware fanboy. In le current year. Very sad!

Vatnik Wumao
While we on that topic - what the fuck is a chud? Is that some new age fuckwit word or are we talking about the Russian folklore 'chud' which is in fact pretty awesome?
The word "chud" can originally be found as the name of a movie from 1984, called C.H.U.D., with the main plot of the creature feature being "Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers" (or CHUD). The trailer for the movie was reuploaded to YouTube on June 27th, 2018, by the YouTube channel Grindhouse Movie Trailers, with an emphasis being placed on how it's a group of monsters that live in the dark undergrounds rising up to civilization to attack (shown below).

The Jester

Cipher
That's the joke
You're not joking.

You're looking for other chud to suck, my dude. It's chud-affirming shit.
Imagine the amount of estrogen pills one would need to take daily to unironically use the word 'CHUD'.
There's a very obvious anti-fan circlejerk here, and some posts are clear mating calls for these anti-fans to find each other and affirm each other's anti-fandom.
Your last few posts ITT are saying you are sexually attracted to gnomes, asking people who disagree if they were groomed in Discord, pride flag shit, lugenpresse comments, calling people who disagree vermin, Solas more like Soulless LMAOOOOO, why does this game even have gameplay make it a VN, ugh it was a different time back when Neverwinter Nights had this 4k fanart in the game as an ingame model ugh, and estrogen pills.
As in, fuck all to do with the game, and just vibe signals to vibe up with the other vibrators here who don't even play video games.

Friendly reminder, anti-fans are fans. You are a Bioware fanboy. In le current year. Very sad!

Yes, I'm having fun by taking a big fat turd all over this dumpster fire with my fellow chuddexters, cry about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom