Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Semiurge

Cipher
Humanity is the greatest RPG in the Universe.
I mean, it has tons of mechanics. The gameplay is realistic and has depth. You also play on a difficulty that's randomly selected when you spawn and depends on other factors, playing as male or female has advantages and disadvantages.
You also can't cheat and permadeath is on.
You level your skills by using them and there's no limit. You can also start with random de buffs or diseases that give penalties to your main attributes.
It also seems to be multiplayer focused. Other players seem to be dicks though not all. Whole there is pvp, organized and world pvp, most are playing in coop mode. And follow rules.
There are some individuals who try to obtain advantages by switching their sex but the game wasn't designed to support this so there are problems and incompatibilities and all sorts of other technical issues.
One issue is that the game can crash randomly (although only one player is affected at a time, could be connection issues) and that can happen when you're level 1 or all the way up to....nobody knows. Players crashed at 100, 104, 120 etc. there doesn't seem to be a level cap.
After said crash there's a sequel with a main quest that seems to go on forever. Probably an oversight, waiting for an update or an expansion. The dev seems to be quiet and only interacts with some players. Apparently you need to increase your faith stat to get in contact with the dev.
There's a lot to this game. It's probably a 9/10 overall, no bugs, the ending sucks though cus the main character dies. And the sequel further drags the score down although that depends on a player by player basis.

We're living in a permanent alpha with no actual release date in sight. Some prophets of old suggested some specific calendar dates, but alas, they were wrong.

Caim

Arcane
Maybe the buddhists were right and life is a hardcore roguelike, where the only way to win is to achieve full understanding of the game and finally be able to disconnect.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Maybe the buddhists were right and life is a hardcore roguelike, where the only way to win is to achieve full understanding of the game and finally be able to disconnect.
I mean, we can always just alt+F4. That's cheesing though. Gaining understanding is the long, hard way. Basically playing the game and giting gud.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
YouTuber Doctor Disaster shared, “I have an acquaintance in the retail world, someone who runs nine stores that sells video games. And I am hearing that these ratios that we’re seeing in damn near every video released for Dragon Age: The Veilguard, these ratios are correlating with piss poor pre-sales data

this is the shittiest source I have ever read

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
YouTuber Doctor Disaster shared, “I have an acquaintance in the retail world, someone who runs nine stores that sells video games. And I am hearing that these ratios that we’re seeing in damn near every video released for Dragon Age: The Veilguard, these ratios are correlating with piss poor pre-sales data

Really? Well my uncle works at Nintendo and he says that the new Zelda game is also a Switch 2 launch title.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Clickbait or not :

Rumor: ‘Dragon Age: The Veilguard’ Retail Pre-Order Sales Are “Piss Poor”​

https://thatparkplace.com/rumor-dragon-age-the-veilguard-retail-pre-order-sales-are-piss-poor/
Gaming "journalism" is a farce. The bastard didn't even do their due diligence by contacting the parities in question to verify the claim - like any actual sensible Journo would do. Do these fuckers do anything useful for my hobby besides churning out garbage guides, crap articles, getting their panties in a twist when gamers call out their entitlement, and generally acting as a marketing arm for big corpo.

I hate gaming journos so much - no substance, lacking critique, generally a waste on my sanity.

thesecret1

Arcane
"What's that, your uncle works at Nintendo? They're rebooting the Mario franchise as a battle royale FPS, with female protagonist and an M rating? That's unbelievable, I need to write an article on this right now! What a scoop!"

Here's the source btw

hq720.jpg

He's the alt-right Jim Sterling. Zero troonery, 100% cringe.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
The game is getting mostly negative reaction from what I've been seeing. Early positive (or negative) momentum has a huge impact on a game's financial success. I can see a huge hate train coming from this game. I'm betting on a big flop. I

countrydoctor

Novice
I don't think it's going to be a disastrous flop like the last saints row, because for some absolutely inane reason, Bioware did manage to groom their own clique of shit eaters who came into the franchise with Cisquisition. Their standards are so low they will eat anything. Dragon Age subreddit is full of them.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You can just check the best-selling and wishlist charts on Steam.

1726676273448.png

Horrible numbers for an AAA game about to come out. Diehard fans will cope with "but it's a console game," but it doesn't matter.

Steam is indicative of the popular reception for this.

Their YouTube trailers have been getting consistently ratio'ed.

The only positive thing most people are talking about is the hair tech, completely sidestepping how awful combat looks.

It's joever.

Hedasd

Literate

View attachment 55114

Horrible numbers for an AAA game about to come out. Diehard fans will cope with "but it's a console game," but it doesn't matter.

The only positive thing most people are talking about is the hair tech, completely sidestepping how awful combat looks.

It's joever.
It hit 200 2 days ago, it was satisfying to see that. It is also true that most of the fanbase are on consoles, mainly Playstation 5, but it isnt doing good there either. Its at 14 on Playstation pre-orders list and that horrible Suicide Squad game was number 1 for weeks leading up to release. This game is shaping up to be one big AAA flop with almost 9 years of development with various iterations. No wonder senior staff jumped ship between 2019-2021 and a Sims dlc designer rapidly climbed up the ranks to become the director.

Old Hans

Arcane

View attachment 55114

It's joever.
Veilguard is like the joe biden presidential run of video games. the media wants you to think its the most popular thing ever, but in reality, it's empty parking lots full of used JEEPS
loscmuhp7agu9kep8fvp.jpg

This game will definitely bomb. Veilguard is getting the same treatment as Suicide Squad, Concord, Saint's Row, Rings of Power, and various Disney live-action slop. It has no chance. The small group of deviants on r/DragonAge aren't going to save it.

thesecret1

Arcane
Biodrones will lap it up, but there's not that many of those after Andromeda and Anthem culled the ranks. It's gonna bomb hard and finally kill the franchise.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Any thoughts on recent failures being a "shudder through the industry" type events? Any outside chance that people will come to their senses, rename the main character Mary, give her some large semi-exposed juggs, and as close as California-type developers can come to a heterosexual disposition?

It's gonna bomb hard and finally kill BioWare.
ftfy
You think so? I think EA might give them one more chance to resurrect mass effect or something, since their brand somehow still isn't dead
I guess it depends on how far the new Mass Effect is in development. Not sure if the Dragon Age team is working on it, or if it's another group within BioWare. EA doesn't fuck around though. The Dead Space remake was good and sold decently, but EA wasn't impressed and cancelled the sequel remake. It's possible they do the same with Mass Effect if Dragon Age bombs. Especially if it's similarly woke and out of touch with what the broader market wants.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Any thoughts on recent failures being a "shudder through the industry" type events? Any outside chance that people will come to their senses, rename the main character Mary, give her some large semi-exposed juggs, and as close as California-type developers can come to a heterosexual disposition?
The only Mary they know is Mary Sue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom