Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
I’ve noticed that not a single person on BioWare’s team have brought up Origins and in any way.
That's okay, the future fans of Vileguard have not played Origins either.
All 50 of them?!
I don't think this game will sell as poorly as Codex thinks. I already see far more excitement about it as Concord, and RPG fans are some of the wokest on the planet, probably because troons roleplay every day.
Concord was the biggest flop in gaming history. It doesn't need to be Concord bad for the game to be considered a flop. One thing that set Concord apart as a flop was live service. Those games are going to flop harder because gamers need to be motivated to move on from their old live service game to the new one. For a single player RPG, that barrier isn't there.

Fargus

Arcane
I’ve noticed that not a single person on BioWare’s team have brought up Origins and in any way.
That's okay, the future fans of Vileguard have not played Origins either.
All 50 of them?!
I don't think this game will sell as poorly as Codex thinks. I already see far more excitement about it as Concord, and RPG fans are some of the wokest on the planet, probably because troons roleplay every day.
Yeah, this genre was the first to succumb to woke faggotry. This is why i now prefer tactical games, less story the better. Because story in rpgs usually written by tranny or some inane femoid with dog fucking fantasy.

babayaga

Educated
Expect that "alternative ways of funding" will become more important in the future, i.e. taking it from our hides via tax-funded DEI investments.
Am I a racist is the most successful political documentary in 20 years and earned $6.5 million which is huge for a non-fiction movie.
It really is shocking to nobody that well thought out documentary would make money. Same goes for fiction. Just stick to the basics and you can't possibly go wrong.
The problem is that they just can't stop themselves from destroying it. Like a little boy with a doll, taking it apart and all that was of value got lost once it was deconstructed.

thesecret1

Arcane
I've never played any of the DA games. Never cared about it. They kind of look like Bioware's in-house D&D inspired titles. How far from the truth am I to thinkithat DA is their continuation / spiritual successor of NWN?
The first game in the series, Dragon Age: Origins actually feels like NWN with better plot and without D&D.
While DA Origins was the one half-decent in the series, I'm constantly under the impression that people love to overrate it only because it "kinda tried to go back to the Baldur's Gate style of CRPGs".
In reality even that one had an absolutely garbage-tier ruleset, mostly defined by its overly-streamlined and overly-simplified systems.
We are talking about stuff that made D&D 5th Edition feel like motherfucking ROLEMASTER in comparison.

Some of the highlights were:
- absolute abuse of HP bloat as a way to increase challenge
- basically ONE right way to level up every class.
- all enemies (demons, undead, lycantropes, humanoids, golems, etc) could be defeated with the same exact strategies and differed only in their aesthetic, since virtually no one had special immunities or resistances...
- ...for example even the setting's equivalent of the undead were vulnerable to charm, fear, etc.
While I agree that DA:O isn't some masterpiece, you are forgetting to mention the one thing about it that WAS groundbreaking, which was the inclusion of the backstories. The first chapter of the game, completely different for each character background? That was and still is extremely impressive, especially considering that those backstories and the characters met during them remained relevant throughout the game, changing how you interacted with things and what you could do.

I don't recall anybody ever replicating it at such a scale, not even Bioware themselves.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Let's see some possible futures for this game:

1. Massive financial success. Swats BG3 aside like a gnat. Puts BioWare back at the top of the industry. All the devs become instant celebrities and guarantees the continued existence of the studio. Likelihood: lol.

2. Moderate financial success. The profits from this game outweigh the expenses. Big daddy EA is satisfied and BioWare avoids the chopping block once again. Likelihood: if they shill it enough, it's likely.

3. It's a wash. The game makes roughly about as much money as it took to produce. EA is unhappy. BioWare's future is uncertain. Likelihood: this is where I'd put my money.

4. Financial failure. The game fails to make back its budget and expenses. Excuses and blame is thrown around for months while YouTubers are ecstatic. Steam forums melt down into nonstop trolling. BioWare's future looks bleak. Likelihood: depends how good the game is to a normie audience.

5. Crashes the video game industry. The content of the game is so unpalatable to the mainstream audience that it actually causes a tipping point. Tired of games like Concord and the devs that make them, the gaming audience reject these games wholesale. The next few months consist of loud demands for change. Sales across the board reach new lows. Journos call it the Gaming Crash of 2025. Likelihood: unlikely but hilarious.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think the journos, devs, EA, and others are making this game their hill to die on. They want to save woke gaming after the recent huge failures, and if this fails, it takes a lot of others with it. So we are getting headlines and buzz before release. They are talking about or mocking it everywhere. It's too late to turn back now.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

1. Massive financial success. Swats BG3 aside like a gnat. Puts BioWare back at the top of the industry. All the devs become instant celebrities and guarantees the continued existence of the studio. Likelihood: lol.

2. Moderate financial success. The profits from this game outweigh the expenses. Big daddy EA is satisfied and BioWare avoids the chopping block once again. Likelihood: if they shill it enough, it's likely.

3. It's a wash. The game makes roughly about as much money as it took to produce. EA is unhappy. BioWare's future is uncertain. Likelihood: this is where I'd put my money.

4. Financial failure. The game fails to make back its budget and expenses. Excuses and blame is thrown around for months while YouTubers are ecstatic. Steam forums melt down into nonstop trolling. BioWare's future looks bleak. Likelihood: depends how good the game is to a normie audience.

5. Crashes the video game industry. The content of the game is so unpalatable to the mainstream audience that it actually causes a tipping point. Tired of games like Concord and the devs that make them, the gaming audience reject these games wholesale. The next few months consist of loud demands for change. Sales across the board reach new lows. Journos call it the Gaming Crash of 2025. Likelihood: unlikely but hilarious.
I think 4. I don't know what this game's development budget is but if it's high I would go with 4. If star wars outlaws can flop so can this.

Besides all the woke stuff, the game generally does not look good. It just flat out looks like a bad game.

Naraya

Arcane
946nn5.jpg

kapisi

Novice
Alas, Grey Wardens cannot resist the Blight indefinetely.

When the Calling becomes irresistible and begins to drive a warden mad, they say their farewells and descend into the Deep Roads to have top surgery.

jackofshadows

Magister

Quite balanced take but I think 4 is far more likely. There's just isn't much there, as you yourself said, for mainstream audience. The action gameplay looks weak, lackluster. No innovations whatsoever also. The graphics don't tickle imagination, rather look dated and derivative. The cast is too unappealing, freakishly looking therefore minimal bait for the "thirsty" (which is a fatal mistake). The writing, the setting is also nothing mind-blowing and the old fanbase isn't quite there anymore, too. This shit won't meet the mark I'm sure. That said, it's unlikely bomb hard enough too, unfortunately. Fingers crossed though.

Camel

Scholar
The deluxe edition "goodies" are cosmetic only.
Obtain a variety of weapons and armor, including curiosities from a forgotten era, with the Deluxe Edition. You’ll receive cosmetic weapon and armor sets for the Warrior, Mage, and Rogue classes as well as cosmetic armor sets and weapons for each of your 7 companions. That’s 3 armor sets for Rook, 6 weapons for Rook, 7 companion armor sets, and 7 companion weapons — saving Thedas never looked so good.

6 Weapon Appearances for Rook. Cosmetic only.
1 Warrior Armor Set Appearance for Rook. Cosmetic only.
1 Mage Armor Set Appearance for Rook. Cosmetic only.
1 Rogue Armor Set Appearance for Rook. Cosmetic only.
7 Weapon & 7 Armor Set Appearances for Companions. Cosmetic only.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Quite balanced take but I think 4 is far more likely. There's just isn't much there, as you yourself said, for mainstream audience. The action gameplay looks weak, lackluster. No innovations whatsoever also. The graphics don't tickle imagination, rather look dated and derivative. The cast is too unappealing, freakishly looking therefore minimal bait for the "thirsty" (which is a fatal mistake). The writing, the setting is also nothing mind-blowing and the old fanbase isn't quite there anymore, too. This shit won't meet the mark I'm sure. That said, it's unlikely bomb hard enough too, unfortunately. Fingers crossed though.
Let's take baldurs gay 3 for example. By far the most romanced companion was shadowtits. So the majority of players are still dudes who want attractive female party members and romance options. Larian is smart enough to realize that and made SH one of the primary characters they marketed. What characters is veilguard marketing?

thesecret1

Arcane

It doesn't matter how hard they shill it, it won't be successful. There's nothing about the game that looks appealing, nothing cool to make one decide "yeah, I wanna buy this." The only thing the trailers highlighted was degeneracy, and the fact it's supposed to finish the story or whatever. Problem is, neither of those two is going to provide much of a pull for anyone outside of the biodrone core. Wokery is being proven to be a negative that only gets a pass if the gameplay is good, and that's not the case here, clearly. Continuing DA is like... how many people outside of the biodrone core actually give a shit? The story after DA:O has been garbage in both DA2 and DAI, and honestly, I don't even remember it.

Elttharion

Learned

I wanted 5 of course but considering the amount of shilling I am seeing for this game I think 2 is the most likely. A lot of journos/etc are using this to push for more faggy stuff in video games, culturally they cant let this thing fail.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

I wanted 5 of course but considering the amount of shilling I am seeing for this game I think 2 is the most likely. A lot of journos/etc are using this to push for more faggy stuff in video games, culturally they cant let this thing fail.
Mainstream media can only do so much. The shilling is crazy though and they all pretty much use the exact same talking points

Semiurge

Cipher

This really looks like the Concord of WRPGs. Unimaginative, bland, sterile, ugly all 'round. Inexcusable. You may think what you will of BG3 - the game Veilguard will be compared to, but at least it offers classic isometric RPG combat and allows you to characterise your MC the way you see fit. Anything goes, like the developers hinted before its release.

I also can't help but to think that the Rook backstories that are essentially twists of the same banal hero-wankery - even the "seeker of wealth and fortune"- one, were written solely because of the twisted egos of the writers involved. They see themselves as heroes on a virtuous quest of breaking boundaries and shaking the pillars of Old White Men's™ heaven. Rook is just an extension of their larp, and they want players to partake in it.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I think the journos, devs, EA, and others are making this game their hill to die on. They want to save woke gaming after the recent huge failures, and if this fails, it takes a lot of others with it. So we are getting headlines and buzz before release. They are talking about or mocking it everywhere. It's too late to turn back now.
d84e9fbf9ac1261d89d78a3586889ac0834308e9.gif

Lodis

Educated
So the majority of players are still dudes who want attractive female party members and romance options.
You’d be surprised how much denial this caused when these stats were released.

Reminds me of Mass Effect LE where people swore up and down that Femshep was the most popular option now because she was heavily marketed this time around only to still be completely overshadowed by Male Shepherd

Camel

Scholar
Let's take baldurs gay 3 for example. By far the most romanced companion was shadowtits. So the majority of players are still dudes who want attractive female party members and romance options. Larian is smart enough to realize that and made SH one of the primary characters they marketed. What characters is veilguard marketing?
BioWare had hot Leliana and Morrigan in the DA:O trailer and game. They also based them on real life hot models and had Maxim write a story about them.
divers-jeux-video-artwor-53c69eb37ce4a.jpg

victoria1.jpg

Elttharion

Learned
BioWare had hot Leliana and Morrigan in the DA:O trailer and game. They also based them on real life hot models and had Maxim write a story about them.

victoria1.jpg
Here is your new goth gf bro, enjoy

spoilers-veilguard-speculation-about-neve-gallus-v0-y3ev7re14t6d1.png

babayaga

Educated

victoria1.jpg

My new goth gf is 45 years old indian woman?

Elttharion

Learned

victoria1.jpg

My new goth gf is 45 years old indian woman?
:hahyou:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom