Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Semiurge

Cipher
gTYotOH.jpeg

A pointless publicity stunt. Morrigan, the SA trailer version or the game one, looks nothing like her except for the penchant for dark attire.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Let's see some possible futures for this game:

1. Massive financial success. Swats BG3 aside like a gnat. Puts BioWare back at the top of the industry. All the devs become instant celebrities and guarantees the continued existence of the studio. Likelihood: lol.

2. Moderate financial success. The profits from this game outweigh the expenses. Big daddy EA is satisfied and BioWare avoids the chopping block once again. Likelihood: if they shill it enough, it's likely.

3. It's a wash. The game makes roughly about as much money as it took to produce. EA is unhappy. BioWare's future is uncertain. Likelihood: this is where I'd put my money.

4. Financial failure. The game fails to make back its budget and expenses. Excuses and blame is thrown around for months while YouTubers are ecstatic. Steam forums melt down into nonstop trolling. BioWare's future looks bleak. Likelihood: depends how good the game is to a normie audience.

5. Crashes the video game industry. The content of the game is so unpalatable to the mainstream audience that it actually causes a tipping point. Tired of games like Concord and the devs that make them, the gaming audience reject these games wholesale. The next few months consist of loud demands for change. Sales across the board reach new lows. Journos call it the Gaming Crash of 2025. Likelihood: unlikely but hilarious.

Great list. I choose option 3. It will look like a bomb at first because of the youtube chudgrifters doing what they do, but it will break even over the holidays and early new year. EA will pretend its all a bed of roses but won't be happy. Bioware will shit out another Mass Effect by 2027.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
5. Crashes the video game industry. The content of the game is so unpalatable to the mainstream audience that it actually causes a tipping point. Tired of games like Concord and the devs that make them, the gaming audience reject these games wholesale. The next few months consist of loud demands for change. Sales across the board reach new lows. Journos call it the Gaming Crash of 2025. Likelihood: unlikely but hilarious.
Where do I sign with my blood to get this? I don't really need this soul thing, it is overrated.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane

1. Massive financial success. Swats BG3 aside like a gnat. Puts BioWare back at the top of the industry. All the devs become instant celebrities and guarantees the continued existence of the studio. Likelihood: lol.

2. Moderate financial success. The profits from this game outweigh the expenses. Big daddy EA is satisfied and BioWare avoids the chopping block once again. Likelihood: if they shill it enough, it's likely.

3. It's a wash. The game makes roughly about as much money as it took to produce. EA is unhappy. BioWare's future is uncertain. Likelihood: this is where I'd put my money.

4. Financial failure. The game fails to make back its budget and expenses. Excuses and blame is thrown around for months while YouTubers are ecstatic. Steam forums melt down into nonstop trolling. BioWare's future looks bleak. Likelihood: depends how good the game is to a normie audience.

6. The game crashes with no survivors. All devs are made to dig a trench and are executed in front of it. EA sells Bioware's legacy for a pittance to one particular solo game dev. A year after everybody forgot about this we get the reveal trailer for Jade Empire 2, whose cast all have big tits for some reason.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
EA sells Bioware's legacy for a pittance to one particular solo game dev. A year after everybody forgot about this we get the reveal trailer for Jade Empire 2, whose cast all have big tits for some reason.

I see myself in this picture and I'm not sure I like it.

On the other hand, actual Ass Effect.

:-D

Caim

Arcane
EA sells Bioware's legacy for a pittance to one particular solo game dev. A year after everybody forgot about this we get the reveal trailer for Jade Empire 2, whose cast all have big tits for some reason.
I see myself in this picture and I'm not sure I like it.

On the other hand, actual Ass Effect.

:-D
StudioFOW will mald, seethe, cope and rope over being beat to the punch.

Great list. I choose option 3. It will look like a bomb at first because of the youtube chudgrifters doing what they do, but it will break even over the holidays and early new year. EA will pretend its all a bed of roses but won't be happy. Bioware will shit out another Mass Effect by 2027.

This game gets buried during the holiday buying season. Just releasing it three weeks after Diablo 4: Vessel of Hatred is going to fuck them. Come Christmas buying time when it’s sitting next to like ten other better action games that all came out this year, it’s fucked.

The sales it makes in its first week will be the peak of what it does. It’s not getting some buying boom after that barring some weird thing happening like some big streamer creating a sales uptick or BioWare getting shut down driving a bunch of people on Twitter that didn’t give a shit to begin with to go out and buy it.

I’ve noticed that not a single person on BioWare’s team have brought up Origins and in any way.
That's okay, the future fans of Vileguard have not played Origins either.
All 50 of them?!
I don't think this game will sell as poorly as Codex thinks. I already see far more excitement about it as Concord, and RPG fans are some of the wokest on the planet, probably because troons roleplay every day.
Concord was the biggest flop in gaming history. It doesn't need to be Concord bad for the game to be considered a flop. One thing that set Concord apart as a flop was live service. Those games are going to flop harder because gamers need to be motivated to move on from their old live service game to the new one. For a single player RPG, that barrier isn't there.

Concord I think might be the biggest flop in the history of media. Concord is like if Avatar: The Way of Water came out, nobody went to see it, and somehow it cost Fox/Disney millions just to keep it in theatres.

Veilguard could do worse than Concord and still not be as big of a flop as Concord because there’s no fucking way EA allowed Veilguard to have a budget anywhere close (apparently it cost $400 million) to what Sony pissed away on Concord.

But Veilguard looks like it’s on track to fail. It’ll come out, review sites will suck it off, almost nobody will buy it, EA will close BioWare, (or at least whichever branch of BioWare made this game) and gaming outlets will have people within them publicly asking why this game failed because it’s good...I mean look at the good scores it got. Meanwhile people will just be playing some other action game that looks vastly better.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I'd really like this one.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
This game gets buried during the holiday buying season. Just releasing it three weeks after Diablo 4: Vessel of Hatred is going to fuck them. Come Christmas buying time when it’s sitting next to like ten other better action games that all came out this year, it’s fucked.

The sales it makes in its first week will be the peak of what it does. It’s not getting some buying boom after that barring some weird thing happening like some big streamer creating a sales uptick or BioWare getting shut down driving a bunch of people on Twitter that didn’t give a shit to begin with to go out and buy it.

I didn't say the sales would increase over the holidays, I said that it will break even over the holidays and the coming new year. My statement that it will look like a bomb (failure) is because youtubers will showcase the slop and how disgusting the game is with all the controversy bundled up in their videos. I believe it will go on discount before Christmas, which will showcase that it didn't meet expectations, but won't be a total disasterous flop. Like I said, option 3. I welcome being wrong on this one though. I hope it fails dramatically

Caim

Arcane
Veilguard could do worse than Concord and still not be as big of a flop as Concord because there’s no fucking way EA allowed Veilguard to have a budget anywhere close (apparently it cost $400 million) to what Sony pissed away on Concord.
So I looked up what some of the most expensive games ever made were, and I found this chart on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop

The top is Star Citizen (despite them not having anything to show for it lol), but the second is... Monopoly Go. But not for its actual budget, but rather its HALF A FUCKING BILLION DOLLARS marketing budget. Which worked, because apparently it made OVER TWO BILLION DOLLARS IN TEN MONTHS FUCKING JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL. For just the budget we have games like The Last of Us II (lmao) and Horizon 2 (which got roflstomped by Elden Ring) in the $200m+ range. Cyberpunk and Battlefield being about $100m each, and from there things only go down.

And I have to wonder... does the $400m include marketing?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't get it, have the lines been drawn that hard now? Or is everyone in on it? This feels more and more alien to me.
It's because of this institutionalized guilt that the left fosters over Slavery, Racism, and Segregation that occurred in America. The entire "diversity" and "inclusivity" is an over correction to America's history of racism. Most of us Republicans have accepted slavery happened and moved on with our lives. Meanwhile the left still harps over this: we need to let all unvetted immigrants into the country - if we don't, that will be racist, and racism is bad, we don't want to be like THOSE right wingers from a century ago who supported slavery; we need to be accepting of all cultures - if we don't, that will be racist, and racism is bad, we don't want to be like THOSE right wingers from a century ago who supported slavery. This notion of not wanting to repeat mistakes from a century ago has somehow morphed into this grotesque machination of: we must now chop our dicks and force our woman to transition into men - after all we don't want to be like THOSE Christian right wingers from a century ago who supported slavery.

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think this game will sell as poorly as Codex thinks. I already see far more excitement about it as Concord, and RPG fans are some of the wokest on the planet, probably because troons roleplay every day.
I think the journos, devs, EA, and others are making this game their hill to die on. They want to save woke gaming after the recent huge failures, and if this fails, it takes a lot of others with it. So we are getting headlines and buzz before release. They are talking about or mocking it everywhere. It's too late to turn back now.
I don't think my normie friends have even heard of this game, they at least knew about BG3 to some extent. But I'm old, so take that with a grain of salt, maybe kids are more aware.
Very few normal people actually pay any attention to gaming press, I'd venture, which is good ofc.

Supposedly its rank in Steam pre-orders is within top 10 now...
Probably. There aren't many high-profile games coming to Steam in the next few months that people would go out of their way to pre-order.

Veilguard jumped up ~20 spots since the glowing previews dropped yesterday. It was previously sitting around 85 iirc. Doesn't seem very impressive, but I don't follow this stuff closely.
35bnfp4.png

For comparison, the Dragon Ball game that drops in 3 weeks is doing much better. There's clearly genuine interest in that one.
12SFiSn.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom