Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Stoned Ape

Savant
The cooldown based combat seems to be inspired by MMOs somewhat.
That is not true, Origins has cooldowns, but they are irrelevant. The combat is centered around stamina and mana and with the "tactics" set up it doesn't feel MMO-ish at all.
Tactically DA:O relies on a aggro system which is inspired by MMO combat rather than having sets of AI behaviour written for different types of opponent.

There's no real line of engagement or need for much in the way of clever positioning on the player's part. Overall, I think the tactical aspects of the combat system are one of the more lacklustre elements of DA:O's design.

Hedasd

Literate
Look at Stalker 2 for instance which is a smaller IP with likely a much smaller budget. The game has over 200k followers (compared to Veilguard's 60k), is #4 wish-listed to Veilguard's 30 odd and yet it's lower on the global sellers list. Why? Well, most people who pre-ordered did so ages ago and it has very clearly sold far more copies so far than Veilguard.

First impressions matter and Veilguard blew that. These days, once internet discourse takes hold, it filters down to the normies and that will doom this game like it did Concord and so many others.
Look at Gothic Remake, remake of a cult classic with no normie following beyond middle aged Eastern Europeans and Russians. It is still barely ahead of Veilguard and it doesnt even have a release date or any marketing beyond two trailers.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
That is not true, Origins has cooldowns, but they are irrelevant. The combat is centered around stamina and mana and with the "tactics" set up it doesn't feel MMO-ish at all.
Tactically DA:O relies on a aggro system which is inspired by MMO combat rather than having sets of AI behaviour written for different types of opponent.

There's no real line of engagement or need for much in the way of clever positioning on the player's part. Overall, I think the tactical aspects of the combat system are one of the more lacklustre elements of DA:O's design.
Eh, there's a little bit of positioning here and there. It's always a bit of concern with Friendly Fire active (turned off on consoles by default).
And there's also kiting... which is a bad thing. And made thousand times worse by MMO-style aggro.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You draw aggro by casting spells at an enemy, by doing damage and by taunting, no?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron

You draw aggro by casting spells at an enemy, by doing damage and by taunting, no?
Initial aggro is equipment based, which is lame as fuck.
Luckily, there are other things influencing it, some even sensible, so it's not all bad.

I *think* it was butchered completely in DA2. I remember enemies never switching targets based on dealt damage.

babayaga

Educated

"Dragon Age: Veilguard's charater creator is without doubt the most indepth character creator I have EWASEEN in video game".

:hahyou:

The characters playersexual guys.. they just don't have any preferences what so ever. It doesn't what's their background , personal desires and all of them are super into you and open to romance.. because they're pansexual.. just ignore that even pansexual or whaver people have their own preferences and won't date a fucking hobo in the street.

I hate what BG3 did for companions.. Now every game with them must have them all being romanceable despite being a negative towards what type of the story you can tell.

Can't have someone like Abelard , Samara , Durance or Boone because guess what , they need to be attractive and available.

Having sexual preferences is bigoted, silly

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
My bröthers, let me intröduce yöu tö the Advanced Race Theöry.
Canadian racial science have möved beyond such simple cöncepts as skin cölör.

Behöld!

1726846533157319.png

Now a completely random example of the Advanced Race Theöry analysis. Let's say... ryzer.

Skin hue: Warm. Because he's anything but cool. Also "warm" or "warmie" is a slang for effeminate faggöt in my language, which makes it extra funny.
Skin tone: Probably rather dark, given the algerian dröp of blööd pumping in hearts of all french men.
Melanin: Paradoxiacally rather löw, despite his dark cömplexiön. It's a result of terminally önline black pill döömer life style.

Final judgement: Sickly gray lesser race.

:prosper:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
I wonder what's the source of "all races are pretty much just humans" sickness.

I *hope* it's just some westoid social justice nonsense.
Because the alternative is much scarier - burned out writers who don't understand the appeal of fantasy and genuine world building, or simply don't care.

babayaga

Educated

Because the alternative is much scarier - burned out writers who don't understand the appeal of fantasy and genuine world building, or simply don't care.
It's both.

Old Hans

Arcane
My bröthers, let me intröduce yöu tö the Advanced Race Theöry.
Canadian racial science have möved beyond such simple cöncepts as skin cölör.

Behöld!

1726846533157319.png

Now a completely random example of the Advanced Race Theöry analysis. Let's say... ryzer.

Skin hue: Warm. Because he's anything but cool. Also "warm" or "warmie" is a slang for effeminate faggöt in my language, which makes it extra funny.
Skin tone: Probably rather dark, given the algerian dröp of blööd pumping in hearts of all french men.
Melanin: Paradoxiacally rather löw, despite his dark cömplexiön. It's a result of terminally önline black pill döömer life style.

Final judgement: Sickly gray lesser race.

:prosper:
that character is so smooth and glossy. its like a glamor shots photo shoot, where they add extensive airbrushing to everything

Caim

Arcane

These people think that "worldbuilding" is gathering all sorts of smaller ideas, stapling them together and presenting it as a complete whole without caring how individual pieces affect one another. It's a theme park design for your setting: chunks work by themselves but either do not gel or actively take away from one another.

Ryzer

Arcane

I do agree for example, Polacks hardly qualify as human, at best primate, such as the monkey. Thus explaining why the Polish language is a mixture of hissing sounds. At worst, vertebrate animals, such as the rat, but studies still need to be done on the subject.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron

I do agree for example, Polacks hardly qualify as human, at best primate, such as the monkey. Thus explaining why the Polish language is a mixture of hissing sounds. At worst, vertebrate animals, such as the rat, but studies still need to be done on the subject.
Man, that's the failure at creative writing I was talking about.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bunch of fucking pussies. Hiding behind their monitors in anonymity while supporting these grotesque perversions on the human body. Such cowards they are, facilitating a generation of children to fall victim to these abominable practices of chopping and skewering one's private parts; of being addicted to life changing medications that leave permanent changes on the human anatomy; of having a whole generation of depressed people who can't even identity their God given gender; on top of ruining attractive hot waifus in RPGs.

Then they get all bitchy when you challenge them on this shit. Fuck off man.
2Zzcdq0.png

Paul_cz

Arcane
Obviously I do not think this is likely, but I wonder - if the game was, despite how it looks now, despite its idiotic character creation options etc - if it was actually good - with well written characters, well designed multilayered quests with many ways to solve them, impactful themes and immersive atmosphere, engaging combat and character progression - like, if by some miracle it was a really really good third person action RPG - would codexers be able to admit and recognize it as such?

Bulo

Scholar
Obviously I do not think this is likely, but I wonder - if the game was, despite how it looks now, despite its idiotic character creation options etc - if it was actually good - with well written characters, well designed multilayered quests with many ways to solve them, impactful themes and immersive atmosphere, engaging combat and character progression - like, if by some miracle it was a really really good third person action RPG - would codexers be able to admit and recognize it as such?
What does Scout Harding's arse smell like?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom