Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Even if someone at bioware realised that there was no time to change the combat system they've probably worked on for like 4 years at this point within a year.

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? These companies are always chasing trends. Never setting their own.

We must follow Gears Of War before venturing forth (ME).
We must follow Call Of Duty before venturing forth (DA2/ME2).
We must follow Skyrim before venturing forth (DAI).
We must follow God Of War before venturing forth (Veilguard).

Anyway, Swen Vincke likes this:

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lul
5fu9sag.gif
Again: Bioware think this is good
I reckon running stairs down full speed while in full plate would be really hard, so the first guy is kinda realistic stumbler. The rest of the guys not touching the stairs less so, maybe they know how to micro-levitate :philosoraptor:

VonMiskov

Educated
Unfortunately I predict it won't fail and will be a mild success. It looks like every console slop ever made reskinned. The setting became generic as fuck, a bit light hearted even, the characters look and behave like young adult novel heroes. The combat looks flashy and compentent like every other console action RPG even if it's probably brainless. Looks save as fuck, apart the DEI shit.

Monkey brain see flashy, monkey brain happy.

If I didn't know what Dragon Age is I couldn't tell apart if it's Avowed, Pathfinder or Baldur's Gate. It all looks the same.

Elttharion

Learned
Here's the video for those without an account btw, the original can only be viewed embedded ;)

This looks so soulless, dated and generally embarrassingly bad. The animations, the music, the combat, everything except the silky hair.

The official DA channel's video is full of "community managers", and youtube is hiding the dislikes again.

At around 2:24, the dragon appears to freeze mid-air for no reason (the player doesn't bring up and wheel or cast any spells). What the fuck is that all about? It's like it's trying to replicate SNES slow-processor slowdown 30 years later lol.

Or am I missing something? Barely slept last night, so I'm not the sharpest today.

Looks like the dragon slows down when he is about to hit the player, probably something to give people more time to react and dodge out of the way. Lmao

Last edited:

Hedasd

Literate
It's kinda funny that everybody tries harder and harder to corner the action market. Not only because it's crowded as fuck as is -- for the general public, even the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Horizon or Assassin's Creed are a viable substitute for Veilguard, as Ubisoft et all have incorporated RPG elements into their games since forever.

But also because it's only that Belgian running around in armor who seems to have realized: "Wait a minute! Gazillions are playing turn-based games on their mobiles! Nobody making them like they used to doesn't make an ounce of sense!" And so it doesn't. Whilst Bioware should ship this with a heavy epilepsy warning (so much for inclusion) -- in BG3 you can take a sip of coke, put the kid into the oven, bring the pizza to bed, and then slooowly start thinking about whether to critical hit that goblin or that ogre first. It doesn't get more accessible than this.

Yeah, I get it. They all want that Call Of Duty audience (that doesn't give four flying fucks). But give that guy another ten years, and he's gonna have them all bought out.
Even if someone at bioware realised that there was no time to change the combat system they've probably worked on for like 4 years at this point within a year.
Also never underestimate the ability of normies to sperg out about not getting action combat. See reactions to greedfall 2.
This game they are releasing is kind of a desperate attempt to make some money back I believe without much work going into it since 2021. They started working on Dragon Age 4 in late 2015, EA cancelled it 2017 but quickly decided to order a live-service Dragon Age same year. Bioware developed that version up until 2021 when EA forced them again to switch to singleplayer just because one Star Wars game sold well(even though it wasnt good or even critically acclaimed). But at that time pandemic was at its peak, Bioware lost almost all of its senior staff, and now they had a shitty game that was completely focused on live-service that would appeal to neither Bioware fans nor the kids they want to sell the game to.

Im guessing they spent 2022-23 trying to change what they can about combat and remove live-service mechanics as much as they can with the shitty(or shittier) team they had left with and spent 2024 desperately trying to find things to copy from BG3. They even laid off 50 or so people last year with some staff that worked on Dragon Age as early as 2005-6 among them. I really hope the amount of single digit IQ people getting this game after watching a trailer or two stays low and this becomes the final nail on this company or at the very least Dragon Age franchise.

Mauman

Scholar
Damn, Warcraft 2 hasn't aged a day.
You just made me realize how much I'd have loved WC2 1:1 remake but with updated graphics and multiplayer options (and alive player base) :negative:
They'd never do a 1:1 remake.

We'd have female girlboss Lothar who secretly doesn't die and Trans Doomhammer who speaks with a sassy black whaman accent because orcs and are actually a repressed species since orcs are black* people now...or something.

It's best it never happen.

*Or are they Mexicans now? It's so confusing.

Elttharion

Learned
6386-9b28041cf48c00abe30a8fbfef6f5644.jpg

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source

Thalstarion

Novice
It's one thing for a game to be 'progressive', it's another thing entirely to double down on that to the point where it overshadows absolutely everything else.

Besides, Dragon Age: Origins had a lot more in the way of grit, nuance and meaningful choices to be made. The most latest entry won't even let you play a blood mage and made sure to write the necromancer character to be as sanitised and inoffensive as possible.

Another thing these out of touch morons fail to grasp is that you can watch a movie or play a game and not subscribe to the messaging being pushed.

Ryzer

Arcane

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source
Lead writer on Baldur's Gate 2 by the way, the codex goty and #3 top RPG, also wrote KOTOR and DAO.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Source

Hey David! How your last game, Stray Gods? This one made for true RPG audience?

Source
Lead writer on Baldur's Gate 2 by the way, the codex goty and #3 top RPG, also wrote KOTOR and DAO.

For me, everything good in this games was outside the main plot. Main plot for this game was at best serviceable and nothing more.

Hedasd

Literate

Source
This cunt opened up a studio in Australia, convinced government to give 30% tax relief to game studios along with a few other people, got an extra government grant for his game(which is a barebones visual novel with a musical theme) and decided to put a trigger warning that appears as soon as you launch the game saying that the game was developed on a land stolen from natives or something close to that. Now he is defending Vileguard against people by calling them tourists? I feel bad for liking the setting of Dragon Age for so many years, even when one hypocritical mentally ill virtue signalling fuck leaves, two more takes his place with more deranged ideas.

Vatnik Wumao

Source
Gaider deadnaming '''''Trick'''''? Must've not caught up on his current mental impediment))

Elttharion

Learned

Source
Funny trivia: it took me a while to find his profile because I was convinced his name was David Gayder

Mortmal

Arcane
Unfortunately I predict it won't fail and will be a mild success. It looks like every console slop ever made reskinned. The setting became generic as fuck, a bit light hearted even, the characters look and behave like young adult novel heroes. The combat looks flashy and compentent like every other console action RPG even if it's probably brainless. Looks save as fuck, apart the DEI shit.

Monkey brain see flashy, monkey brain happy.

If I didn't know what Dragon Age is I couldn't tell apart if it's Avowed, Pathfinder or Baldur's Gate. It all looks the same.
I don’t think so. People tolerate bad gameplay when there are pretty characters — for example, The First Descendant, a mediocre shooter, but it looks good. Veilguard is the worst kind of woke: forced diversity, caricatural LGBT representation, and prudishness, with ugly characters and very mediocre gameplay. It has nothing going for it, and you can already tell the pre-order numbers are low. BG3 is completely different: pretty characters, excellent gameplay, excellent everything, to be honest. And despite being woke as well, it’s nothing like this. It has full creative freedom, frontal nudity, total freedom. Avowed? Even set next to Veilguard, it will look like a decent game, mediocre as it is. It might be a top 3 RPG of the year, given the competition, with Kingdom Come 2 most likely at the top — if they don’t fuck up the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom