Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Camel

Scholar
6386-9b28041cf48c00abe30a8fbfef6f5644.jpg

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source
zkbOngt.png

Notice how Gaider stops at DA2 and DA:O without mentioning Andromeda and Anthem flops. True BioWare fans begged them to make BG3 or another DA:O and look how Larian totally upstaged BioWare. Granted BioWare's experiments with their own franchises like Mass Effect were good enough for three games but DA turned to trash after one good game. I don't remember people on BSN wanting NWN after DA:O, Origins were considered a better game.

Last edited:

Thalstarion

Novice
It's one of the biggest issues with the industry right now, an obsession with change for the sake of change instead of just making more of what actually sells and refining what proved successful.

Terra

Cipher
Gaider and cronies shocked that people can be fans of good games while not liking shit follow ups. Countless examples of franchise yes men among fanbases that help chart its decline toward an inevitable doom (look at chief shill shinobi for one). That they also like woke content just make them all the easier to identify and point out. There's people out there who would buy literal shit in a box with a BioWare logo on it and say it was better than previous products; useful idiots with a low bar for satisfaction aka any company's favourite customer.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
6386-9b28041cf48c00abe30a8fbfef6f5644.jpg

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source
zkbOngt.png

Notice how Gaider stops at DA2 and DA:O without mentioning Andromeda and Anthem flops. True BioWare fans begged them to make BG3 or another DA:O and look how Larian totally upstaged BioWare. Granted BioWare's experiments with their own franchises like Mass Effect were good enough for three games but DA turned to trash after one good game. I don't remember people on BSN wanting NWN after DA:O, Origins were considered a better game.
The real point, which he completely misses, is that Bioware has indeed gone down in quality with every new game and the fans who have been begging them to make another game like their last one were telling them so.

BG2 was their best game.
NWN was a huge downgrade. Therefore, people asked them to please make another BG2 again.
KotoR was much better than NWN imo (I really hate NWN) but in some ways it felt more casual, therefore a lot of people asked them to please go back to NWN's style again.
Then came a bunch of consolized titles like Jade Empire, and people asked them to please make something more like KotoR again.
Then they made Dragon Age, and while it was a decent game for its time (hit right during the RPG drought), it was nowhere near BG2's quality, so people asked them to please make something as good as BG2 again...
And then DA2 happened and it was the worst piece of decline to ever hit Bioware, and then most of the old fans finally abandoned the company, and these days the only fans they got left are newfags in it to fap to the gay romances.

The notable thing here is that this kept happening with EVERY GAME and EVERY NEW FANBASE.
The people who liked Mass Effect were pissed off at Mass Effect 3 fucking up the ending.
And then Andromeda came out and all the Mass Effect fans jumped ship.

Bioware games just get worse with every new release so they can't retain a real fanbase.

>make solid game that gets fans
>they want more
>make something worse
>they ask them to make something good again
>make something even more worse instead
>fans go away

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
One thing I found hilarious is that Inquisition is supposedly BioWare's largest blowout success. In fact it was such a success that they didn't return to the IP for 10 years. :smug:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember reading some very old Greg Zeschuk interview.
After the release and success of BG2:SoA he had some sleepless nights. An existential crisis - "What if this is the top? Will Bioware be able to create something as good again?"

Welp.

:despair:

No wonder he's in alcohol business nowadays.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone checked these preview quotes? Some of these feel like they were written by AI, see:

zvOsfZG.png

>To Put It Simply It Feels Like A Game That Has Been In Development For 10 Years [...] I Mean That In A Complimentary Way <-- Wtf?
>After Spending Six Hours With Only A Handful Of Companions [...] Safe To Say [...] Gone Above And Beyond In Delivering Memorable Characters With Messy Backstories <-- is this a backhanded insult?!

So many pages, smh. Here's something new for you to spam about.

Rook and companions face a powerful blighted dragon before something more sinister appears. Return to Thedas in Dragon Age™: The Veilguard.

Get your first look at some of the powerful combat abilities available to Rook as a mage and see how you might use them to turn the tides of battle.

Looks like a console BioWare game. Not horrible, not spectacular. I just can't come to terms with the overt faggotry on display. There's no salvaging this.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Also I caught the poor bastards doing their marketing on /v/. Not sure if it's working there though. There's currently an ideological war on both /v/ and steam forums regarding the game and nearly everyone hates the tranny propaganda except for w*men and tumblerinas who are horny freakizods who think RPGs are just romance simulators.
weWnHJQ.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also I caught the poor bastards doing their marketing on /v/. Not sure if it's working there though. There's currently an ideological war on both /v/ and steam forums regarding the game and nearly everyone hates the tranny propaganda except for w*men and tumblerinas who are horny freakizods who think RPGs are just romance simulators.
weWnHJQ.png
I've been told there's actually a surprising amount of AAA devs on the chans these days.

Or it could be some kind of deep trolling op, who knows.

Thalstarion

Novice
Hahahaha!

That second row, damn. Always the same repulsive expression that looks like they just shat themselves and caught wind of the stench.

Old Hans

Arcane
Someone needs to do a shop where they fix the armor design too.
2ZZ0gwu.png
It's probably the best DA:V armor(The Grey Warden armor) and female clothes don't look medieval at all.
GqHcd1U.jpeg
I see a few good armors in there, except for the heavy armor, which looks awful as usual. The bandoleer pouches on the medium armor are absolutely ridiculous. You could fit an original xbox controller in those things, and still have room

Semiurge

Cipher
I'm amazed how everything in this trailer looks so garbage and retarded.

Both in cinematics and in gameplay.

For example, when it comes to cinematics there are people in the middle of a combat with a dragon in a mud pit everyone is absolutely clean. No blood, no mud, no dirt. The lighting looks like a stage play, and the lighting in the atmosphere doesn't even match one on the character models. Looks very odd. Retarded animations and plot I won't even bother commenting, you could write a whole essay about them.

When it comes to actual gameplay enemies don't even react to anything. Some of the smaller enemies may flail their upper bodies when you hit them, but even then it's not nearly as much as you would expect when getting slammed in the face with a shield. There's no real sense of impact. The dragon didn't even flinch once in that fight. Half a dozen super sparkly combo detonations, and nothing. It just kept right on through its simple AI script. Didn't flinch, didn't recoil. All it did was a handful of scripted attacks played in a sequence, each with a lengthy cooldown. It doesn't even feel like the player is interacting with it, just chipping away from a health bar while the boss does its script.

This game looks like a budget trash.

The facial animations look like shit again, judging by the scene where the shorthair dyke screams after one of her officers was killed by the tentacles. The video also looks censored, the part where one of the knights would be quartered by the elven god was cut, and the dragon fight also looks choppy. It's clearly supposed to be as scripted as the fight with the archdemon in Origins.

DA:Origins had goofy-looking cinematics as well, but that was 2009 and the gameplay compensated for any cringe in cutscenes. Veilguard obviously won't have anything but its "story" and romances going for it.

The most latest entry won't even let you play a blood mage and made sure to write the necromancer character to be as sanitised and inoffensive as possible.

He's like your gay uncle with a warm and endearing personality. Not like someone who might be in danger of turning into a necrophiliac lich any day when drunk enough on the power over life and death. The character should be more Alice Cooper or Herbert West.

BG3 is completely different: pretty characters, excellent gameplay, excellent everything, to be honest. And despite being woke as well, it’s nothing like this. It has full creative freedom, frontal nudity, total freedom.

And it seems to do all that with a wink to the audience, I like that kind of irreverence. All I see in Veilguard is seriousness and tiptoeing in the prissiest way possible.

It's one of the biggest issues with the industry right now, an obsession with change for the sake of change instead of just making more of what actually sells and refining what proved successful.

Origins probably didn't make back much of the money spent on its budget, so it was only natural that EA decided to try a more streamlined approach (DA2). They're still trying, obviously. They see complex RPGs as a risk because of Origins. When have you actually seen a company restore the quality of its once great product that got cheapened along the way? They are morbidly allergic to upping complexity and costs for that profit that may never materialise.

Anyone checked these preview quotes? Some of these feel like they were written by AI, see:

zvOsfZG.png

>To Put It Simply It Feels Like A Game That Has Been In Development For 10 Years [...] I Mean That In A Complimentary Way <-- Wtf?
>After Spending Six Hours With Only A Handful Of Companions [...] Safe To Say [...] Gone Above And Beyond In Delivering Memorable Characters With Messy Backstories <-- is this a backhanded insult?!

I'd say all of them came from A.I and some from shills. You don't usually see such perfect grammar and sentence structures in comment fields, and A.I's are still struggling with slang and context-dependent language, verbal meming etc. The shills try to maintain good grammar so that their advertising doesn't fall on deaf ears, so to speak.

Semiurge

Cipher
Someone needs to do a shop where they fix the armor design too.
2ZZ0gwu.png
It's probably the best DA:V armor(The Grey Warden armor) and female clothes don't look medieval at all.
GqHcd1U.jpeg

Even the elves have dwarven body proportions because of that huge head. I can't help but to wonder if the reason for it is to make it easier for people to design trans-men. Women have proportionally larger heads than men, so many trans-men end up almost looking like this abomination if they don't bulk-up:

Q8i3HnJ.jpeg

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Even the elves have dwarven body proportions because of that huge head. I can't help but to wonder if the reason for it is to make it easier for people to design trans-men. Women have proportionally larger heads than men, so many trans-men end up almost looking like this abomination if they don't bulk-up:

Q8i3HnJ.jpeg
Ew that big head. It's not even the funny big heads mode from old games, it's repulsive as fuck.
Gp59oGv.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom