Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Hedasd

Literate
IGN's recent article seems like it did some damage to dragon age subreddit. Its entertaining to read the reactions when fans are forced to face the reality because they were in complete denial last week about the situation of choices from past games not carrying over.

Semiurge

Cipher
Another party member introduction where they strut around all cool and shit and all dialogue choices are just a different flavor of kissing their arses, and even when not your mildly sarcastic comment will be outshined by their superiorly witty quip. This is the good guy Rook, everybody's best friend or alternatively everybody's spit bucket. You will not get a chance to be an asshole, and even if you did they'd make sure to let the NPCs have the last laugh. Veilguard looks like a product of writers and designers who are too much in lust with their character creations and so they try to shield them from all harm, even at the cost of player agency. Then again, this thing was for the most part designed as an MMO so player agency and C&C were never the first priority. It's still an MMO with a "deeply touching" story tacked on it, and to hell with any player who wants to tell the story in his shameful cis-white-male way!

Oh well, at least you get to have pretty hair and mastectomy scars.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Another party member introduction where they strut around all cool and shit and all dialogue choices are just a different flavor of kissing their arses, and even when not your mildly sarcastic comment will be outshined by their superiorly witty quip. This is the good guy Rook, everybody's best friend or alternatively everybody's spit bucket. You will not get a chance to be an asshole, and even if you did they'd make sure to let the NPCs have the last laugh.

God almighty, this game, it offends me so much. It's like this game is committing a heinous crime against my ancestors whenever I look at it. I want to wage a war against this game and see it destroyed. If it was only just another mediocre RPG then whatever, but fuck me man, they just had to make it so *offensively* awful.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Another party member introduction where they strut around all cool and shit and all dialogue choices are just a different flavor of kissing their arses, and even when not your mildly sarcastic comment will be outshined by their superiorly witty quip. This is the good guy Rook, everybody's best friend or alternatively everybody's spit bucket. You will not get a chance to be an asshole, and even if you did they'd make sure to let the NPCs have the last laugh.

God almighty, this game, it offends me so much. It's like this game is committing a heinous crime against my ancestors whenever I look at it. I want to wage a war against this game and see it destroyed. If it was only just another mediocre RPG then whatever, but fuck me man, they just had to make it so offensively awful.

Of course they had to. These... things... believe they are at war with humans. They will do anything to "fight" humans and show the world how much they hate humans. Fighting humans give them street cred with their fellow things.

In other words, they are mudslimes or mainlanders...

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Also apparently xir took their pronouns off their twitter:
eClWGEK.png

Dragon Ass Vile Guard might actually be the game that finally gets these weirdos to fuck off, maybe, I hope, I pray...

Fargus

Arcane
Cohesion

У меня всё грузится с помощью GoodbyeDPI, включая помоишные эмбеды твиттера и прочий блокированный трэш, что тут постят. Прикольная штука, я ставил её изначально из-за замедления еврей-трубы. Я даже забил пока на впн, это дерьмо все равно медленно работает и через раз.

zkbOngt.png

Notice how Gaider stops at DA2 and DA:O without mentioning Andromeda and Anthem flops. True BioWare fans begged them to make BG3 or another DA:O and look how Larian totally upstaged BioWare. Granted BioWare's experiments with their own franchises like Mass Effect were good enough for three games but DA turned to trash after one good game. I don't remember people on BSN wanting NWN after DA:O, Origins were considered a better game.
The real point, which he completely misses, is that Bioware has indeed gone down in quality with every new game and the fans who have been begging them to make another game like their last one were telling them so.

BG2 was their best game.
NWN was a huge downgrade. Therefore, people asked them to please make another BG2 again.
KotoR was much better than NWN imo (I really hate NWN) but in some ways it felt more casual, therefore a lot of people asked them to please go back to NWN's style again.
Then came a bunch of consolized titles like Jade Empire, and people asked them to please make something more like KotoR again.
Then they made Dragon Age, and while it was a decent game for its time (hit right during the RPG drought), it was nowhere near BG2's quality, so people asked them to please make something as good as BG2 again...
And then DA2 happened and it was the worst piece of decline to ever hit Bioware, and then most of the old fans finally abandoned the company, and these days the only fans they got left are newfags in it to fap to the gay romances.

The notable thing here is that this kept happening with EVERY GAME and EVERY NEW FANBASE.
The people who liked Mass Effect were pissed off at Mass Effect 3 fucking up the ending.
And then Andromeda came out and all the Mass Effect fans jumped ship.

Bioware games just get worse with every new release so they can't retain a real fanbase.

>make solid game that gets fans
>they want more
>make something worse
>they ask them to make something good again
>make something even more worse instead
>fans go away

It's also about aggressively trying to reach an altogether audience with each game. "We want Call Of Duty's audience" and all that. Heck, if you really want, this started early. Forget Shattered Steel. BG2 is a vastly different game from BG1 from the ground up.

Now you can't please everyone and shouldn't. But Bioware is kinda like Metallica, releasing a Load with every new product they tackled. This didn't merely cost them fans. But also designers. And if Gaider himself is to be believed --- writers, like himself, as well.

I've actually seen journalists making Bioware the victim in all of this in talks/podcasts: "I feel bad for them. It's impossible to please their fanbase now, as every DA game is so different." Yeah well, nobody forced them to "want Call Of Duty's audience" all of a sudden. Nor "turning DA into more of a Mass Effect product" as well. Nor aggressively targeting new audiences with Veilguard now again.

As argued in this thread, the entire Dragon Age series is a mirror image of Bioware's existence. Short-term this may have kept them afloat. But the foundations for long-term conflict had been there from the very beginning. Even if I'm repeating myself here: Dragon Age was initially pitched as a "back to the roots" project -- not late into their careers. But rather barely two moons after Throne Of Bhaal had shipped!

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
zkbOngt.png

Notice how Gaider stops at DA2 and DA:O without mentioning Andromeda and Anthem flops. True BioWare fans begged them to make BG3 or another DA:O and look how Larian totally upstaged BioWare. Granted BioWare's experiments with their own franchises like Mass Effect were good enough for three games but DA turned to trash after one good game. I don't remember people on BSN wanting NWN after DA:O, Origins were considered a better game.
The real point, which he completely misses, is that Bioware has indeed gone down in quality with every new game and the fans who have been begging them to make another game like their last one were telling them so.

BG2 was their best game.
NWN was a huge downgrade. Therefore, people asked them to please make another BG2 again.
KotoR was much better than NWN imo (I really hate NWN) but in some ways it felt more casual, therefore a lot of people asked them to please go back to NWN's style again.
Then came a bunch of consolized titles like Jade Empire, and people asked them to please make something more like KotoR again.
Then they made Dragon Age, and while it was a decent game for its time (hit right during the RPG drought), it was nowhere near BG2's quality, so people asked them to please make something as good as BG2 again...
And then DA2 happened and it was the worst piece of decline to ever hit Bioware, and then most of the old fans finally abandoned the company, and these days the only fans they got left are newfags in it to fap to the gay romances.

The notable thing here is that this kept happening with EVERY GAME and EVERY NEW FANBASE.
The people who liked Mass Effect were pissed off at Mass Effect 3 fucking up the ending.

Bioware games just get worse with every new release so they can't retain a real fanbase.

>they want more
>make something worse
>fans go away

It's also aggressively trying to reach an altogether audience with each game. "We want Call Of Duty's audience" and all that. Heck, if you really want, this started early. Forget Shattered Steel. BG2 is a vastly different game from BG1 from the ground up.

Now you can't please everyone and shouldn't. But Bioware is kinda like Metallica, releasing a Load with every new product they tackled. This didn't merely cost them fans. But also designers. And if Gaider himself is to be believed --- writers, like himself, as well.

I've actually seen journalists victimizing Bioware in talks/podcasts: "I feel bad for them. It's impossible to please their fanbase now, as every DA game is so different." Yeah well, nobody forced them to "want Call Of Duty's audience" all of a sudden. Nor "turning DA into more of a Mass Effect product" as well. Nor aggressively targeting new audiences with Veilguard now again.

As argued in this thread, the entire Dragon Age series is a mirror image of Bioware's existence.
Yeah, but will Veilguard be kinda like Metallica's St Anger in terms of shittiness?

Semiurge

Cipher
EAWare chases trends and fails, whereas CDPR chased the Mass Effect trend with The Witcher 2 and succeeded. It was certainly more streamlined than Witcher 1, but still great in a different way. Witcher 3 was CDPR chasing the Skyrim trend, and likewise their interpretation ended up superior compared to the game that set the new standard for countless other sandbox clones, including Inquisition.

EA = a bad publisher that whips studios into producing streamlined shit for ADHDTV kids, with no understanding of the RPG medium beyond what a corpo suit can imagine in his coke-addled mind.

+

Bioware = a husk of a once middling studio that would now produce shit even without EA overlords whipping them into shape. Now overrun with marxist trannies and good-boy allies.

= EAWare

How can you not end up with shit with these two working together?

Last edited:

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You’re on the codex…..yet you’ve never seen a group of people so stupid, so out of touch that you had to engage to see if they were sincere. Yet you’re a member of the codex. Is this your first day or something?

You logged into the wrong alt.
PunchYouInTheFace is his another alt btw. Main is probably neg=lambchop or liberal=shitwalker.

PrK

Savant
Patron
6386-9b28041cf48c00abe30a8fbfef6f5644.jpg

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source
Lead writer on Baldur's Gate 2 by the way, the codex goty and #3 top RPG, also wrote KOTOR and DAO.

So what, is Monkey Island bad too now that Ron Gilbert turned out a giant faggot? Besides, Baldur's Gate was made during an era when big budget games were still being made by gamers, for gamers:

rfcMhCd.jpg

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
IGN's recent article seems like it did some damage to dragon age subreddit. Its entertaining to read the reactions when fans are forced to face the reality because they were in complete denial last week about the situation of choices from past games not carrying over.
It's so crazy to see criticism on r/dragonage that isn't immediately censored and removed.

I guess BioWare saying they don't care about canon actually did a number on their core fanbase.

1727308921774.png

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source
He's totally right here, though. Bioware games have always been super liberal for their era. People bitching about this are just bitching because their brains are so corrupted by the the culture wars that they bitch about how every game is woke.

They are the same sort of 2006 era boomers freaking out about lesbians in Mass Effect 1 on Fox News:

The truth is that you're all dumbfucks taking the click-bait that right wing influencers thrive on.

No one gives a fuck. If you don't want liberal politics, then don't play bioware games.

But rage sells, especially to fucking stupid people, and you men are buying.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Source
He's totally right here, though. Bioware games have always been super liberal for their era. People bitching about this are just bitching because their brains are so corrupted by the the culture wars that they bitch about how every game is woke.

They are the same sort of 2006 era boomers freaking out about lesbians in Mass Effect 1 on Fox News:

The truth is that you're all dumbfucks taking the click-bait that right wing influencers thrive on.

No one gives a fuck. If you don't want liberal politics, then don't play bioware games.

But rage sells, especially to fucking stupid people, and you men are buying.

We get it. You're gay.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
God almighty, this game, it offends me so much. It's like this game is committing a heinous crime against my ancestors whenever I look at it. I want to wage a war against this game and see it destroyed. If it was only just another mediocre RPG then whatever, but fuck me man, they just had to make it so *offensively* awful.
Yeeees, release your anger. Your hate will make you powerful.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Source
zkbOngt.png

BG2 was their best game.

>they want more
>make something worse
>fans go away
That's it exactly. It's deeply amusing that Gaider would just decide 'the vocal minority of the fanbase is never happy and fears change' when the much more obvious explanation for what he experienced is instead the tangible decline in quality of the games they released.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Another party member introduction where they strut around all cool and shit and all dialogue choices are just a different flavor of kissing their arses, and even when not your mildly sarcastic comment will be outshined by their superiorly witty quip. This is the good guy Rook, everybody's best friend or alternatively everybody's spit bucket. You will not get a chance to be an asshole, and even if you did they'd make sure to let the NPCs have the last laugh. Veilguard looks like a product of writers and designers who are too much in lust with their character creations and so they try to shield them from all harm, even at the cost of player agency. Then again, this thing was for the most part designed as an MMO so player agency and C&C were never the first priority. It's still an MMO with a "deeply touching" story tacked on it, and to hell with any player who wants to tell the story in his shameful cis-white-male way!

Reminds me of Astarion. He puts a knife to your throat, the most upset you can get about it is to throw a bitch fit. You can technically kill him, but only when the dialogue ends, and you finally have full control over your character's actions again.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Also I caught the poor bastards doing their marketing on /v/. Not sure if it's working there though. There's currently an ideological war on both /v/ and steam forums regarding the game and nearly everyone hates the tranny propaganda except for w*men and tumblerinas who are horny freakizods who think RPGs are just romance simulators.
weWnHJQ.png
Stop believing everything you've read on /v/. I've ironically pretended to be a shill for the products I hate countless times, and I'm far from the only one who does it. The probability of a Veilguard marketer posting on 4chan is not non-existent, but it's not big.

Old Hans

Arcane
Reminds me of Astarion. He puts a knife to your throat, the most upset you can get about it is to throw a bitch fit. You can technically kill him, but only when the dialogue ends, and you finally have full control over your character's actions again.
I have to add how much I hate his introduction, and he never leaves that spot if you ignore him, which is weird considering laezel and shadowheart will move on to other areas, so they dont feel so static

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom