Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

TheDarkUrge

Educated
I wonder what EA think about Ubisoft getting 9/11'd after their games flopped. A month ago Ubi was telling investors gamers were excited for Outlaws and Shadows and pre-orders were good. Then Outlaws bombed and Shadows got punted into 2025. If these couldn't move the needle, there is zero chance Dragon Age can. EA was telling their investors the same shit a few days ago lol.

Woke games are a death sentence now. The well has been poisoned. Like-minded devs pushed too hard and they all did it at the same time. People see this trash for what it is and want none of it.
Ubisoft is essentially a jobs project for canadians it's not a real company it's public sector funded welfare for bad devs and a wealth extraction program for its executives.

Elttharion

Learned
I wonder what EA think about Ubisoft getting 9/11'd after their games flopped. A month ago Ubi was telling investors gamers were excited for Outlaws and Shadows and pre-orders were good. Then Outlaws bombed and Shadows got punted into 2025. If these couldn't move the needle, there is zero chance Dragon Age can. EA was telling their investors the same shit a few days ago lol.

Woke games are a death sentence now. The well has been poisoned. Like-minded devs pushed too hard and they all did it at the same time. People see this trash for what it is and want none of it.
Ubisoft is essentially a jobs project for canadians it's not a real company it's public sector funded welfare for bad devs and a wealth extraction program for its executives.
Yep

We Quebec taxpayers have been subsidizing French video game giant Ubisoft for 20 years. And despite the millions of dollars of tax credits received from the Quebec government, the head office based in France, in the first six months of the year, has only registered a meagre profit of $1.3 million on revenues of more than $1 billion.

Between 2013 and 2017, the company generated net profits of $634 million while receiving $615 million in subsidies. Without the government’s help, Ubisoft is unprofitable.

It’s scandalous. The worst thing is that Quebec has committed to maintaining this form of aid until 2027!
Source

The generous tax credits received in Quebec by the French video game giant Ubisoft allow it to be barely profitable this year.

Annually, Ubisoft receives more than $100 million in tax credits (37.5% on salaries offered) from Quebec, while it employs nearly 4,500 workers in its studios in Montreal, Quebec and Saguenay.

During the first six months of this fiscal year, Ubisoft's parent company in France was barely profitable, generating a meager net profit of CA$1.3 million on revenues of more than CA$1 billion.

Source in french

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
6386-9b28041cf48c00abe30a8fbfef6f5644.jpg

When did he become such a fucking cunt? I really hope he gets hit with another lawsuit and shuts up forever.
About the time he started wearing a toupee. So before DA2.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

That sounds familiar...

"How do you get a small/medium enterprise (SME) in moo fuckedland?"
"Give a kiwi a big company and wait."

Semiurge

Cipher
IGN's recent article seems like it did some damage to dragon age subreddit. Its entertaining to read the reactions when fans are forced to face the reality because they were in complete denial last week about the situation of choices from past games not carrying over.
It's so crazy to see criticism on r/dragonage that isn't immediately censored and removed.

I guess BioWare saying they don't care about canon actually did a number on their core fanbase.

View attachment 55471

There shouldn't be a "canon" at all if your choices carry over to the sequels, but often there is because when a game series gets lengthy, and without the same set protagonist, it gets increasingly complex to implement these choices properly. So with each installment, the choices that carry over get more and more insignificant and cosmetic.

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source
He's totally right here, though. Bioware games have always been super liberal for their era. People bitching about this are just bitching because their brains are so corrupted by the the culture wars that they bitch about how every game is woke.

They are the same sort of 2006 era boomers freaking out about lesbians in Mass Effect 1 on Fox News:

The truth is that you're all dumbfucks taking the click-bait that right wing influencers thrive on.

No one gives a fuck. If you don't want liberal politics, then don't play bioware games.

But rage sells, especially to fucking stupid people, and you men are buying.

Your being your way means that you can't see how politically radical games and media have become in just a decade. Media is the most important tool of communist programming, and has always been.

Another party member introduction where they strut around all cool and shit and all dialogue choices are just a different flavor of kissing their arses, and even when not your mildly sarcastic comment will be outshined by their superiorly witty quip. This is the good guy Rook, everybody's best friend or alternatively everybody's spit bucket. You will not get a chance to be an asshole, and even if you did they'd make sure to let the NPCs have the last laugh. Veilguard looks like a product of writers and designers who are too much in lust with their character creations and so they try to shield them from all harm, even at the cost of player agency. Then again, this thing was for the most part designed as an MMO so player agency and C&C were never the first priority. It's still an MMO with a "deeply touching" story tacked on it, and to hell with any player who wants to tell the story in his shameful cis-white-male way!

Oh well, at least you get to have pretty hair and mastectomy scars.

Reminds me of Astarion. He puts a knife to your throat, the most upset you can get about it is to throw a bitch fit. You can technically kill him, but only when the dialogue ends, and you finally have full control over your character's actions again.

Without having seen this scene it sounds like the player character's reaction is logical. If someone has a knife to your throat you'd try to negotiate with them because at the moment they have the upper hand.

Last edited:

sosmoflux

Educated
I have to admit all this talk is making me want to give Dragon Age II and Inquisition an actual go. Only ever played Origins and about 5 hours of II.

Surely not though, right? Surely not.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I have to admit all this talk is making me want to give Dragon Age II and Inquisition an actual go. Only ever played Origins and about 5 hours of II.

I can't think of a single reason to recommend Inquisition.

The only reason to recommend II is that at least it's not Inquisition.

Reminds me of Astarion. He puts a knife to your throat, the most upset you can get about it is to throw a bitch fit. You can technically kill him, but only when the dialogue ends, and you finally have full control over your character's actions again.

Without having seen this scene it sounds like the player character's reaction is logical. If someone has a knife to your throat you'd try to negotiate with them because at the moment they have the upper hand.
There are a bunch of chances to avoid it. If you failed the perception check to notice him approaching you from behind, and then failed the checks to see if you can push him away or kill him, your wimpy character kind of deserves to be reduced to begging. Even then you can save what remains of your dignity by having the parasite give him a headache so he knows you're not a thrall yet.

Yeah, I got the bug too. Been chipping away at Inquisition again on my Series X this past week. It's very flawed but mild fun can be had. It's missing something though... not sure what. My only real complaint is the structure is a complete mess.

I do wish I could go around punching and killing everyone like I did in Mass Effect 2. The renegade path was the only reason I adored that game. Punching the woman reporter in the face was peak 360 era gaming.

2glilD.gif

Been chipping away at Inquisition
Stop being part of the problem
Stop complaining about everything
I hit you because I love you

Sadly, you can't beat the stupid out of someone
You complain incessantly like a woman. Just an observation. Hope that helps.

Veilguard is down to 118 on the Steam pre-order charts btw. Next few weeks are gonna be a show. Can't wait.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

If they gave up on BioWare a decade ago (or more, for those of whom DAO was “the last good game”) then they were never going to buy the game anyhow. At which point: why should Bio listen to them? “Abandon your fanbase and woo us instead!” …okay, sure Jan.

Thank you for the kudos, but I think you overestimate my influence. By all reports, the writing is stellar (which I’d expect no less from Patrick and their team). As for the rest, whether you think it’s good or not it would be no different if I was still at BioWare.

Source

Shame Gaider has apparently gone woketard. I always thought he did a pretty good job with the lore of DA:O, it was a good foundation as a grim, gritty game world.

Semiurge

Cipher

Yeah, I got the bug too. Been chipping away at Inquisition again on my Series X this past week. It's very flawed but mild fun can be had. It's missing something though... not sure what. My only real complaint is the structure is a complete mess.

I do wish I could go around punching and killing everyone like I did in Mass Effect 2. The renegade path was the only reason I adored that game. Punching the woman reporter in the face was peak 360 era gaming.

2glilD.gif

I swear even the terminator had a wider range of facial expressions than male shep.

Veilguard is down to 118 on the Steam pre-order charts btw. Next few weeks are gonna be a show. Can't wait.

Oof.

Many of their Reddit sycophants also turned out against them when they saw how few decisions got carried over from DAI. No wonder they tried to hide the fact, but that'll probably cost them quite a few preorders and refunds. :M

Never fear, at least the romances carry over. That should keep most of them happy.

Vatnik Wumao
Never fear, at least the romances carry over. That should keep most of them happy.
I bet that the romance one in particular is also somewhat disingenuous and in all actuality is only there to check for the Solas romance while disregarding the rest. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom