Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I don't think save import in Baldur's Gate 1 to 2, correct me if I'm wrong, did anything except give you some gear and stats from tomes in Durlag's Tower.
It imported your character, but not any decisions made in BG1. Even your party was assumed to have been a specific set of people, not necesserily the one you ended BG1 with.

Modron

Arcane
I don't think save import in Baldur's Gate 1 to 2, correct me if I'm wrong, did anything except give you some gear and stats from tomes in Durlag's Tower.
Been a while but maybe also the inate abilities you got at each chapter depending on your alignment in bg1 as well?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Been a while but maybe also the inate abilities you got at each chapter depending on your alignment in bg1 as well?
And spells if you were a wizard.

damager

Arbiter
The uniques laying around are a nice touch. I prefer that to some C&C from bad nu-bioware writers carrying over for sure.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Man, it bums me out to think there won't be any cool closure for Loghain if you kept him around considering the games gave you 3 different times to take him out with each one involving some measure of sacrifice (losing Alistair at the Landsmeet, Morrigan's ritual, leaving Hawke in the Fade). With no import he'll be stuck in the fridge like the Warden and all the other characters with uncertain fates.
Why do you want these people to actually write any material for characters like Loghain and the Warden? These writers are maliciously incompetent. Anything they touch they destroy.

Fargus

Arcane
Main reason to import is for the attribute increases that you can get during the first game tbh.

Only downside is you will get to play as the same class over and over. Usually not a problem for me because i play as a fighter and second game lacks decent fighters other than psycho midget.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the idea of decisions carrying over between games originated with the Baldur's Gate saga
did it really? I never noticed, but then again, I haven't played those games in 20 years. I just remember Jahira's husband was dead at the start.
You're right actually. There was no NPC-related stuff in terms of who would be alive and who wouldn't, but you could import your character from BG, although the inventory wasn't carried over. Imoen had this line in the beginning about how Irenicus has sold your best equipment.

So I guess the first big scale world state import must have been in DA2. I remember a lot of decisions being posible to set there. They had created a web application where you could set up a world state for DA2 and it would spit out a save file for importing into the game.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A pity CDPR didn't do it for Witcher 2. All your choices from W1 are meaningless. You can romance Shani all you want - in the prologue of W2 Geralt wakes up next to Triss. Even if you played W1 as an elf enthusiast, you can still support Roche and his elf-killers in W2 without any problems.

They allowed transfer of some decisions from W2 to W3, sometimes with dramatic consequences (like Letho's appearance in the third game and him taking part in the battle for Kaer Morhen) but it was still underwhelming in comparison with what Bioware did in Mass Effect games (regardless of the dissapointing color-coded endings of ME3).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
A pity CDPR didn't do it for Witcher 2. All your choices from W1 are meaningless. You can romance Shani all you want - in the prologue of W2 Geralt wakes up next to Triss. Even if you played W1 as an elf enthusiast, you can still support Roche and his elf-killers in W2 without any problems.
Schwartze-Skinned-Unterpersonn, bitte.

Act 3 has major changes dependent on your relationship with the Order of the Flaming Rose, potentially making the Knights non-hostile (which is key to avoiding a big fight when saving the la Valette kid and giving it to Roche), and granting you access to their camp and the merchant therein. You can even listen to their prayers (and I can tell you translating them to English was a kicker).

There are also some small reactions (optional fight, iirc) in Act 2, depending on whether you lifted Adda's curse or not.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Schwartze-Skinned-Unterpersonn, bitte.

Act 3 has major changes dependent on your relationship with the Order of the Flaming Rose, potentially making the Knights non-hostile (which is key to avoiding a big fight when saving the la Valette kid and giving it to Roche), and granting you access to their camp and the merchant therein. You can even listen to their prayers (and I can tell you translating them to English was a kicker).

There are also some small reactions (optional fight, iirc) in Act 2, depending on whether you lifted Adda's curse or not.
Details, details. Now I vaguely remember you could bring Aerondight from W1 into W2, if you got it from the Lady of the Lake. So what, with the new, broken itemization of W2 it was quickly outclassed by generic sword nr 325.

But lets focus on the big issues that actually matter. Where is fuckable Shani in Witcher 2, eh? I'm tired of this redhead witch stalking Geralt wherever he goes.

Vatnik Wumao
They allowed transfer of some decisions from W2 to W3, sometimes with dramatic consequences (like Letho's appearance in the third game and him taking part in the battle for Kaer Morhen) but it was still underwhelming
Unfortunately that's due to them not being able to implement all that they had planned. Iorveth for example was supposed to show up in relation to a plague-related plot.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, I wish Bioware would have taken the Larian approach and just made the games take place hundreds of years into the future; this would not only give the game a new blank to drawn on but it'd also prevent the continuity from getting *too* convoluted when you have to consider so many variables from save import. I think the whole save import thing probably added more work than necessary for what basically amounted to little details that only hardcore fans would notice. For me personally, I didn't really notice much when I imported form Origins to DA 2 - the game still had the same conflict of Mage fags hating Templar fags and a mage fag committing 9/11 on the Chantry. I also didn't notice if my Origins import changed anything with Mage fags practicing blood magic in the end which is the reason why Templar fags hated them - could just be a DA 2 thing though, never played Inquisition.

Though on that note, I did have some fun references when I imported Mass Effect 1 to the sequel.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, I wish Bioware would have taken the Larian approach and just made the games take place hundreds of years into the future;
Does it really matter when the gameplay is likely shit and the game is full of tranny propaganda?

Hundreds of years into the future would be modern times or Mass Effect anyway.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Regarding David Gaider, man, what a faggot. Who the fuck denigrates critique from customers like that by saying: you're just a tourist. In any other industry someone doing that would result in them getting fired or, worse, your company will lose sales, hard. Yet, for some reason, game developers are able to constantly belittle their customers - what a fucked up industry.
Well, my theory is that because they have their backs covered (they receive money to exist) they don't care about making good games. They just care about pushing the agenda. Normally, a company would care about profits and profits come from customers and would refrain from attacking or insulting in any way, their customers. Which brings me to the next point.
Insults. And attacks. These people are not gamers. This industry is populated by suits at the top and devs desperate for jobs or women/trannies hired because diversity requirements. None of these people are gamers. They didn't grow up playing video games. Their hobbies don't include videogames. To the point where a number of them literally coming out and saying they hate games and gamers. Some cases with a writer chick saying that and that other SBI dude/thing saying he wants to burn the industry to the ground.
Now here's the thing: the fans are not gamers either. My theory is that they're movie watchers. They're shallow, superficial and they chase trends.
Back when video games came out they made fun of nerds playing them. Now they are playing as well but for different reasons: trend chasing, shilling, streaming, status etc.
They are the main audience for these movie games or bad, woke games in general.
Did you notice that in the vast majority of cases, reviewers don't talk about gameplay and when they do, they don't talk about the mechanics or go in depth on them? They only focus on story, characters, voice acting, animations, music etc. All of these are movie qualities.
Have you also noticed that in arguments, when actual gamers talk or obsess over certain mechanics or features, the fake fans at some point call them nerds? The same exact insult they used to thtow back when games were in their infancy, so to speak. They out themselves easily. So the modern audience is comprised of very few gamers, a lot of activists for various political and social subjects, shills which are just doing their marketing job, useful idiots who eat shit and order double, trannies (IDK how many there are but there seems to be quite a few which is weird because for them not being able to reproduce they sure multiply) and movie goers who play games for completely different reasons than gamers do.
The gaming industry is dead and the crash/collapse cannoy come soon enough.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
the idea of decisions carrying over between games originated with the Baldur's Gate saga
did it really? I never noticed, but then again, I haven't played those games in 20 years. I just remember Jahira's husband was dead at the start.
You're right actually. There was no NPC-related stuff in terms of who would be alive and who wouldn't, but you could import your character from BG, although the inventory wasn't carried over. Imoen had this line in the beginning about how Irenicus has sold your best equipment.

So I guess the first big scale world state import must have been in DA2. I remember a lot of decisions being posible to set there. They had created a web application where you could set up a world state for DA2 and it would spit out a save file for importing into the game.
In Pillar of Eternity 2 you can import many choices you have made in the previous game. Although many of them ar not particularly interesting or far reaching, they are nice touches nevertheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom