Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

J1M

Arcane
I don't really understand what EA are up to in all this. Why does Bioware even exist? Their games don't make nearly as much money as anything from DICE and even Respawn at this point with Apex Legends apparently being a success.

It's depressing that Westwood could be closed after a couple of games that didn't quite meet expectations (both developed within a couple of years of actual successful games) while Bioware can apparently fuck around for 6+ years on games like Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem and yet they're able to start from scratch on Dragon Age: Live Service?

Surely they pull the plug or at least massively scrutinise them at this point. EA get painted as money hungry villains in the gaming industry but at this point they just seem incompetent themselves, if these reports are to be believed Bioware have been a complete mess since at least 2012 (Inquisition being in full swing) and aside from a couple of meetings with an executive no one told them to pull their finger out?
Developers in Edmonton are dirt-cheap. There's nowhere else to work there.
Canada also offers them massive tax incentives.
Bioware is a perfect analogy of how government intervention affects the market
The tax breaks are primarily in Ontario and Quebec, not Alberta. (Also some in British Columbia.)

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Bioware hasn't made a good game since ME 12 years ago. You all going to believe a kotaku article claiming they suddenly figured their shit out but EA shut it down? It would have been trash.

DemonKing

Arcane
Just because we're not buying Bio games any more doesn't mean other people aren't, I guess. Anthem seems to be selling OK and even the failure Andromeda sold in the millions. So maybe EA think the Biobrand is worth keeping around as they can still make decent returns despite the mismanagement, lack of direction, poor reviews and dozens of mentally traumatised employees that seem to characterize all recent Bio releases.

hpstg

Savant
Bioware hasn't made a good game since ME 12 years ago. You all going to believe a kotaku article claiming they suddenly figured their shit out but EA shut it down? It would have been trash.

The article didn't say that. In fact it claimed that the total lack of leadership in Bioware forced EA to get something out of the door after only 18 months of actual development.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I don't really understand what EA are up to in all this. Why does Bioware even exist?
Because at this point killing Bioware and ending its suffering would be a good deed and EA can't afford it. Like proper villain they keep poor retard on life support and enjoying his screams.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
are any of these games worth playing? even origins?

Origins is decent. Yes it was the RPG of the year here when it came out, but those were dark days. Still it's not bad, just kind of generic and with a lot of grindy sections. It was nice to play a game like that designed for PC with those kinds of graphics at the time, but it's not something that will give you joygasms or anything. The second one is shit, the third one is pretty but also shit for the most part. Nice looking areas with fuck all interesting to do in them.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Trash mobs are what ruins the game. Otherwise it has decent writing, good characters, pretty good combat system and a silent protagonist which allows for plenty of dialogue options.

I wonder if there is a mod that cuts combat encounters in half or something.

The Real Fanboy
Quote the article, bro/sis

The developers talked about building systemic narrative mechanics, allowing the player to perform actions like persuading or extorting guards without the writers having to hand-craft every scene. It was all very ambitious and very early, and would have no doubt changed drastically once Joplin entered production, but members of the team say they were thrilled about the possibilities.

I wonder if Josh is throwing shade at Bioware :P:P:P

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you just want to wander around nice looking environments with almost zero quest or encounter design while you watch Twitch or something then Inquisition is your game.

Trash mobs are what ruins the game. Otherwise it has decent writing, good characters, pretty good combat system and a silent protagonist which allows for plenty of dialogue options.

I wonder if there is a mod that cuts combat encounters in half or something.

There probably is, and if I ever played it again (unlikely) I would have to use it.

IIRC you can't even travel from one part of the city to another without random trash encounters. Fuck that.

hpstg

Savant
DA2 tried some interesting things with the narrative. But the combat was crap and the environments repetitive.

Inquisition is fine to play when high.

J1M

Arcane
Since someone reading this is going to go play Inquisition, let me just help by explaining that you want to play as an archer rogue. Unlike the first game, mages are not interesting.

Lining up Explosive Shot and Long Shot gives you something to do, and when you become an Assassin later Mark of Death is quite effective.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom