Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, holy shit finaly DBZ RPG after years of waiting

Rewatched old DB with the shame dub I watched as a kid. That :obviously: shit was superior to 99% of what came in the following 20 years.

user

Savant
Beautiful world, story is well done, ok combat.
Everything else is as good and as deep as a cheap mobile game. Not an RPG, exploration and side activities are pretty much meaningless, fetch/kill quests only, mostly decorative and flat character development and tree, floating irrelevant balls everywhere (it's like they tried to make the world worse). Scaling challenges/items - you collect apples, meat etc -> you level up/progress and suddenly apples are replaced with juicy apples and meat with premium meat. Disgusting.

If it wasn't a Dragonball game, it would be one of the worst games I've ever played.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Agree with caveats. On the first it loses its magic a lot the moment you realize how barren it is and how bad things individually look on close up. It's also much less interactable than it seems, for example the dinosaurs and other wildlife which you can't even fight and just kill them with ki blasts. It also highlights the lack of any real enemy variety with only very, very few random enemy types. It makes the enemy variety in any other rpg I've played seem like its colossal. All of this stuff drags the world down. I do like the destructable enviroment (even if its not permanent) and being able to instant kill enemies with your ki, but that doesn't really make up for it.

Secondly while the story sequences are well done every single one, lacks iconic or important scenes/lines. I already listed some before, but it just baffles me why this was done. It's completly random as well and you can't even make the argument that they just left anime filler out, a lot of it exists in the manga as well.

user

Savant

Agree with caveats. On the first it loses its magic a lot the moment you realize how barren it is and how bad things individually look on close up. It's also much less interactable than it seems, for example the dinosaurs and other wildlife which you can't even fight and just kill them with ki blasts. It also highlights the lack of any real enemy variety with only very, very few random enemy types. It makes the enemy variety in any other rpg I've played seem like its colossal. All of this stuff drags the world down. I do like the destructable enviroment (even if its not permanent) and being able to instant kill enemies with your ki, but that doesn't really make up for it.

Secondly while the story sequences are well done every single one, lacks iconic or important scenes/lines. I already listed some before, but it just baffles me why this was done. It's completly random as well and you can't even make the argument that they just left anime filler out, a lot of it exists in the manga as well.

It's been over a decade since I've watched DBZ and I haven't read its manga (even though I prefer manga in general), so tbh I didn't notice these missing lines. The destruction effects on the ground and destructible boulders/trees are amazing - couldn't imagine fights DB without those. The ground effects disappear very fast though - wish they would at least make them last until the end of the battle. Initially I had made my peace with what the game was and continued playing until the start of the Cell saga. But returning to earth and seeing every material being replaced by a "rarer" version everywhere, irritated me enough to run uninstall.exe.

Perhaps an extensive overhaul mod might be able to make the game playable...

Silentstorm

Learned
So, Attack Of The Saiyans following only one arc managed to do much more than Kakarot despite the new game having a bigger budget and following the entire story while talking so much about the fact it will add new scenes and characters?

Sadly not that shocked, anyways, Fusions and FighterZ are still the best modern Dragon Ball games, but man, a Dragon Ball RPG shouldn't be that hard, particularly when everyone seems content on making new villains for games and all these days, or the fact that other games had What-If scenarios that would be cool to see in a game.

Hey, remember Supersonic Warriors having Piccolo fusing with Demon King Piccolo, why has that not happened in any other game, or Dr.Gero escaping/being let go for being considered weak leading to Gero becoming a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain from the 80's constantly swearing revenge on Goku swearing that next time, oh next time he will win with his newest invention as it implies he becomes a constant rival always making new Androids to beat Goku.

A game all about a world where Dr.Gero escapes and is always building new Androids seems like a good way to create an alternate universe where Cell could still be around but also introduce OC villains or...you know, disregard those ideas.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
or the fact that other games had What-If scenarios that would be cool to see in a game.
Honestly, if this was included I would probably forgive most of the game's shortcomings; the ability to massively derail the plot would be interesting enough for me.

If used creatively, it could even be used to reward good players with more difficult content. So you, say, manage to beat 2nd form Frieza with Gohan and Krillin - congratulations! You get a cutscene of Krillin chopping Frieza in half with a Kienzan from behind, the rest of the Frieza fight is skipped, and now you have to fight Androids and Cell without Super Saiyan. I seem to recall Tenkaichi 3's story mode requiring a button input for story-based power ups and character switches, but you didn't have to do it, and you could just keep going with the weaker character/form; such a mechanic could work well when implementing this.

Silentstorm

Learned
That would require effort and a desire to bring something different to Dragon Ball games so sadly it won't happen even if that sounds awesome as hell, at best we get some new villains in Xenoverse or FighterZ, and only FighterZ is any good.

Well, i guess there is Super Dragon Ball Heroes, but i will be honest, looking at gameplay videos it just comes across as a slow boring mess.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
That would require effort and a desire to bring something different to Dragon Ball games so sadly it won't happen even if that sounds awesome as hell, at best we get some new villains in Xenoverse or FighterZ, and only FighterZ is any good.

Xenoverse 2 does have plenty of what if stuff and does let you change the story in some ways.

Well, i guess there is Super Dragon Ball Heroes, but i will be honest, looking at gameplay videos it just comes across as a slow boring mess.

I played it to completion and trust me when I say it's shit. I hate card games and gacha though so I'm biased.

Shit, this game didn't have balance in mind, did it?
I had more trouble with MechaFrieza as Trunks than with any of Cell's forms. Also, Big bang spam can kill anything in no time.

As a side note, I just unlocked the car races and game went from meh to Codex Top 10.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, Attack Of The Saiyans following only one arc managed to do much more than Kakarot despite the new game having a bigger budget and following the entire story while talking so much about the fact it will add new scenes and characters?

To be fair here, Attack of the Sayians was a Monolith Soft game and Kakarot is by CyberConnect2.

In terms of jrpg experience thats as Men vs Boys as you can possibly get.

Last edited:

alighieri

Educated
Right after the first gameplay trailer it was clear that Kakarot is going to be shit. Guess people will still buy and like it tho

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

In case of FighterZ it was a medical emergency.

They called in the Namco Bandai suits and Toriyama over to ArcSys because of a crisis, opened a door to the studio floor and it was filled with people straight out of Auschwitz emanciated prisoner photos: "Namco Bandai execs and Toriyama-san, these innocent people have not modeled/textured/animated big boobs for 24 hours! We have to do something immediately!"

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So......it's shit?

Kind of. Not so shit that I wouldn't play it if I had nothing else to play. I ended up beating the game and doing all of the side missions but I did use a trainer to skip the parts of the game that I really didn't enjoy like orb collecting

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Anyone else play the new dlc yet? Boy was it shit. It's basically just two fights.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
oh wait, theres actual gameplay

That cut scene made no real sense when in play ol Raddy boy got dominated pretty bad. Hell, the final attack looked like it knocked him back pretty far but the game had to make sure to reset him closer. Goku certainly wasn't pinned to the ground. Ah well.... that is a tad disappointing tbh that the arc can't be completely changed. I guess ai and algorithmic programming just can't do that yet.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The flying, collection etc looks fine. There is obviously player skill going into play and that will make cutscenes look... bleh. Actually, that cutscene looked bad quality tbh. Maybe this gives options for a later more open world play. I'd like to see a Dragonball from the beginning and growth in abilities in this manner. Hard for me to really judge just by watching. Are combos easy, auto, hard?

Flying animation looks cool.

nightmaar

Novice
I recently finished this game and I just don't know, man. Joke quests, at best another fight with the same mobs and at worst "finding" someone that is at front of you or retrieving yummy carrot from the other side of the world, like literally worse than MMOs. Exploration is based on Quidditch with every collectible thing, even freaking dragon ball, being on a level of abstraction of Lums from Rayman. Best parts are the thing that they just take from the anime like music, besides cut scenes this game is literally worse than Legacy of Goku.

Deleted member 7219

I think it was obvious where this was going from the get go. Saying this as someone who doesn’t like DBZ but was told by a work colleague how excited he was about this game before its release, and had the collector’s edition on preorder, so I immediately looked it up, and thought ‘Fuck, why is he excited about getting that?’

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom