Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Commander: On last minute changes & media

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dragon Commander; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Apparently Larian Studio's Dragon Commander is not too far from release and Swen Vincke ponders the pre-release woes of a developer on his blog.

All of the changes that we agreed on were implemented or being implemented, and a number of new crashes had been found and solved. If you’re wondering why we are still changing things, well, you needn’t look further than our forums, youtube, the steam community hub, facebook , twitter and what have you. There’s a continuous feedback loop going on there and we’re seeing some very well formed opinions appearing.

Our code of conduct is that whenever somebody posts a bright idea it gets on our list, and then put it in, as long as it remains feasible for us.

I can guarantee you that there’s a lot of people in the development trade (that actually includes guys in my office :) ) that will tell you that this is the way to ruin, but my experience has been such that you’re better of with a game that’s fun and maybe not polished than you are with a game that’s polished but not fun. Fixing the polish is an easy enough thing and almost always a matter of money. Fixing the fun otoh is still somewhat of an arcane art coveted by many but mastered by few and money will not necessarily make the difference. Because my interest and joy in making games comes from stumbling upon ways of making them fun, I tend to sin more than often against the rules of maintaining the outwards production values that are so important these days, preferring a message box if need be over not putting something in that clearly improves the game mechanics :)

You can send us a review code if you want, Swen, but it might be the review comes late and ends up tl;dr anyway, so be warned.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, I'm going to handle your report at once. From now on I will substract 1K brofists from your account and transfer those brofists to myself every time you report one of my posts.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Anyway, regarding the actual topic, I'm all for making the game as fun as possible as listening to feedback, but if they already have the physical copies, that means the printed manuals are outdated, no?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
leosl gief reviarw i am oficial staff i write best critical analysis

i write best guide how 2 play dragon commando the best

Athelas

Arcane
So do you just summon a dragon, or do you play from the perspective of a dragon circling the battlefield? It seems rather silly not to when it fits in seamlessly with the overhead perspective of the RTS genre.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
dragon.gif

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Can you still enslave nations with necromancy in Dragon Commander? I remember that being mentioned in an old dev video.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I don't know about the necromancy part but I know that you can start genocides if you feel so inclined.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
So do you just summon a dragon, or do you play from the perspective of a dragon circling the battlefield? It seems rather silly not to when it fits in seamlessly with the overhead perspective of the RTS genre.

You are the dragon, yes, and you see this from a third dragon perspective. Standard WASD controls apply. While the dragon was somewhat fragile the last time I played the game, it was still hella fun pelting the enemy's units with dragon fire and then jetpacking off to go troll someone else :D.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Anyway, regarding the actual topic, I'm all for making the game as fun as possible as listening to feedback, but if they already have the physical copies, that means the printed manuals are outdated, no?
I've quite often seen manual errata in README.TXT, at least in the good old days.
Yeah, I know nobody except me reads these.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You can send us a review code if you want, Swen, but it might be the review comes late and ends up tl;dr anyway, so be warned.
I'm currently in the process of downloading the BETA (we have a key from the D:OS fundraiser). I'd have had it sooner but, Star Trek Online.

Also, I don't really want to be a Dragon.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Auto-resolve 'dat shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom