Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Dragon Quest Remake SIMPLE, a free fan game

BrazilRules

Barely Literate
Hello, I am a software engineer who dabbles in game development for a decade but never finished a project, so I decided to make this game in RPG Maker to make it easier on me making something simpler than I tried before, as it I always advised(always start with a small game like pong or snake). After completing Dragon Warrior on the NES for the first time a couple of months ago I was wondering about how a game may be made more fun not despite its simplicity, but because of it, so I decided that my first game would be a game that tries to recreate that simple addictive nature and that is why I put the effort to first make a remake of the original Dragon Quest so that I can understand what is behind that simplicity. Because of the use of copyrighted material and being so close to official releases, I decided to work in secret until release.

So, I am happy to say that I am now releasing my first project release ever in the shape of Dragon Quest Remake SIMPLE, built with RPG Maker XP. This Remake tries to recreate the original Dragon Quest release as faithfully as possible by using the same attributes as the original on the NES, while using the tileset from the Dragon Quest 3 remake for Super Famicom. I tried to keep the map layouts as faithful as possible to the original game, only changing when necessary to increase the fidelity of the visuals. All official remakes are based on the first SNES I&II release that doubled the size of all the dungeon and cave maps and made major changes to the layout of the dungeons.

The only changes I did was doubling experience and gold rewarded by monsters and changed spell power to make them more viable(non-status spells were quickly made obsolete by normal attacks in the original). Aside from that the game is as hard(or as easy in the case of the last boss) as it was in the original game. The game also come in both English with dialog referential humor that will surely date the game, and Brazilian Portuguese for those who don’t need to learn English since they were born Brazilian(naturally).

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the game, like for example including super bosses to the game, because we all know there is a bit of the world map that has no business existing, please let me know. I didn’t because I was aiming for fidelity, but I am open to changes if people think it would improve it.

Like I said previously, the reason why I made this Remake is because I wanted to know the inner working of the original game intimately so I can recreate the good parts in my own original game, so if you are an artist or musician and want contribute to my project, I am open to contact through the forum or through my email: leo_kinach@hotmail.com, and considering the niche nature of my games if you would like to contribute in any other way, you can fling me a few bucks on Patreon if you like what I do and want to help me focus more hours into my future games instead of my day job.

English Version: Dropbox

Brazilian Portuguese Version: Dropbox

Patreon: https://patreon.com/BrazilRules?utm...ign=creatorshare_creator&utm_content=copyLink

Dragon Quest and all its components are copyrighted by © Square Enix. I have no affiliation to them, and this fan game should not be used to gain financial gain in any means and should always be distributed for free.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Interesting. I'll have to look at this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom