Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Quest XI

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Vorark Liturgist

Vorark
    There's no need to focus on grinding as long as you don't run away from all enemy groups you see. When entering a new area, fight them only enough to know which monsters can spawn in, learn their attacks and patterns and then move on. The following approach only had me underleveled for one rather infamous boss encounter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. AliceAlcina Learned

AliceAlcina
    yeah, I think I will wait for Oct 2020 for possible update, then maybe play what I have in library. I regret not reading the forums before the buying.

^ Top  
  3. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    huh what will be in Oct 2020 again?

^ Top  
  4. AliceAlcina Learned

AliceAlcina
    Someone before me posted that there's might be 1 year exclusivity on a patch, which should end in Sept 2020. I won't hold my breath, but I would still wait. Don't want to play the game without content in vain.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. AdvancedHero Augur

AdvancedHero
    In my opinion, DQ 11 is best enjoyed without any of the Draconian settings; just don't fight everyone you see. The game was balanced around the assumption that the player would avoid most combats, since it is very easy to outrun enemies on the overworld. If you like grinding, then by all means play the 'Difficult Monsters' mode, but I think one of the better aspects of DQ 11 is that you don't need to grind. If anything, play vanilla, but with the "less XP" setting.

But that is just my preference.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Meaning they would parch the orquesta soundtrack and add the classic mode? It would be very nice especially for consoles

^ Top  
  7. mogwaimon Erudite

mogwaimon
    honestly I got frustrated shortly after the spider boss and turned off Stronger Enemies, got past the doll boss, and then stopped because it was so easy it was just boring, and also they had announced the Switch version having extra content but not PC so I got pissed at that too. Keep Stronger Enemies on, it's not worth it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. AdvancedHero Augur

AdvancedHero
    Turning off the draconian settings halfway throught the game would be quite jarring, yes. But as I mentioned, I think the game is best enjoyed without the draconian settings; just don't overlevel your party. If you prefer to grind and have lots of combats, then maybe go for stronger enemies, but if you don't want to grind, then just play the game as intended.

^ Top  
  9. AliceAlcina Learned

AliceAlcina
    I played it with only no escape from combat setting only, since that's how I play almost every game.

^ Top  
  10. Cat Dude Learned

Cat Dude
    My problem with the game is there is only single character shown for exploration. We are already way past hardware limitation at this point to show all characters on screen.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. AdvancedHero Augur

AdvancedHero
    The Switch version shows your whole party; it really is the best way to play the game.

^ Top  
  12. Onionguy Educated

Onionguy
    It would be if it didn't look on Switch like some castrated garbage.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The game is a snoozefest if you don't use draconian setting.

-Stronger enemies
    No escaping
    -No exp for weaker monsters

Even on these settings, you don't have to grind all that much. It's all about combat setup and what actions you take during combat that matters. Buffs/debuffs and status ailments become super important. Eric has been essential with his x6 damage abilities that most often work on bosses, too.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    The latter two are definitly optional, no escape changes nothing about the game instead of making the Wheel of Harma more tedious and no exp does nothing all the time, and then that electro light team of 3 vicious metal slimes you killed gives 0 xp.
    Stronger enemies is a must. Long time since I have seen such a perfectly well balanced difficulty in an JRPG like on Draconian here.

^ Top  
  15. AdvancedHero Augur

AdvancedHero
    Hmmm... okay, sounds like I'll have to replay it at some point with stronger enemies.

^ Top  
  16. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Around 6 hours in so far, not blown away by it at all but still good solid JRPG fun.

Big gripe with the music though, fuckinghell it's ear-bleeding at times. Playing it now with the music totally turned off, rank stuff.

• How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If you're on PC, just download the Orchestral Music Mod.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    This game is gay as fuck, and if you're a fan, you are also gay as fuck

• Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    that music :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. cosmicray Learned

cosmicray
    Started the demo on Switch and turned on Draconian quests - Stronger Enemies and No Exp from weaker ones. I'm getting destroyed after leaving village on horse to Heliodor. What's the tactic here? I've leveled to 4th level and some enemies weren't giving any exp. Then I went further in the next area and some groups were wiping me. Should I just reach the castle without fighting anyone? It's annoying. I'm not against some grind, but I can't really grind when I'm getting killed. Plus I'm afraid to be under-leveled later.

^ Top  
  21. Hyperion Arcane

Hyperion
    Use a Greatsword. Go to Heliodor, upgrade your equipment. Wait till you get your second party member to fight more.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Isak Educated

Isak
    Just finished the postgame.
    I think adding a post-game was really nice of the devs. Personally I see the first ending as the ‘True’ ending - mission accomplished at a great price. In stark contrast to most games, DQXI’s mainline story is simple...superficial even. But the little side stories and character arcs are incredibly moving.

The post-game on the other hand, felt like fan-service, and I don’t mean that as a pejorative - quite the opposite in fact. It was a well-deserved reward for putting in the extra work, with some bonus character arcs thrown in for the hardcore fans.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    S edition is coming to Xbox and Windows 10 on December 4th.

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Called it.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.