Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragonbane - free league

Lagi

Savant
Swedes publish a kickstarter, which is an iteration of DnD.
free quick start rules that gives a good insight, how it will look like.

I really like all Free League products aesthetics and illustration. Rule wise I think its a step in good direction from DnD, but nothing groundbreaking. It almost feels like another 5e product.

6 stats. Instead Wisdom there is Willpower. Good change. However i always thought Willpower and Charisma is about the same thing. And why there is no perception? Detecting things in pnp session is more common that lifting heavy objects.

16 skills are the core of the main mechanic. Roll on 1d20 <= than skill. Too many weapon skills. Learning skill doesn't seem to be useful. Scouting and Spot hidden is the same stuff.

There are dis/advantage rolls - roll 2d20 choose worse/better.

1 is critical success, 20 critical failure - call dragon and demon [cringe AF]

Opposing rolls.
both sides roll for success. if both success, then the one who rolls less win. GODDAMMIT!! People... the skill of participants MUST matter - otherwise it's just who rolls better on d20. I think the best solution (system) is to do 10+ SKILL A - SKILL B < D20. No, its not that hard, you can combine 10- Skill B together in monster stats.
f.ex. Sword 14 + [ -5 ] (= 10 - 15 monster Dodge skill) = 9 ; roll less = than 9 to hit monster.

There are push rolls. A staple of Free League design. They work very good here as well. Below Attributes, you have 6x condition, every time you push roll. You reroll all the dice, but you gain negative condition (cannot get the same twice). You remove condition during rest. For me that sounds brilliant!

Standard HP = Condition, BUT i dont see level on character sheet. so maybe there is no power creep with levels?! that would be awesome.
Willpower points (Jesus Christ you have Willpower attribute, and Willpower derivative points - you cannot come with some other name?) which is Mana. just use for all kind of skills not only spell casting.

Combat

you can move and do 1 action.

Initiative system is drawing card with number. Plus you can swap card with anyone below (you can force swap initiative with monsters), on forums they saying it opens tons of tactical manoeuvres- dont know, sounds as unnecessary delay in combat ("hey wait guys! maybe i will swap initiative with this goblin shaman, what you think?!").

you roll to hit on weapon skill

if you land a hit, opponent can parry or dodge (like in warhammer)

if opponent parry, he takes the damage on weapon or shield (durability). Your body is more durable than shield or axe - but you know - it's fantasy, everything goes. Prepare to pick up every weapon after every fight.

on zero hp, there are death rolls.

you can "heal" ally with persuasion checks. Which is interesting. And make the whole game even more infantile. It's not a deep cut to the bone and bleeding - you just need peep talk to stand up, keep going.

there is attached adventure. quick dungeon with interesting bits. I LOVE the random attacks, and random events. When i played pnp rpg, i thought random generators are a big pile of shit ("you have been attack by d6+1 orc" in a fucking underground dark elves city, but whatever). In Dragonbane the effects are nicely thoughtful. I like them in Alien RPG too.

p.s.
I like this game. I will buy it if I find it in my local store later. However I think Forbidden Lands are better?

Rt4fvOn.png

Last edited:

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
No, it's not an iteration of Dungeons and Dragons. It's a based on a swedish roleplaying game from 1982 called Drakar och Demoner. Built on the Basic Roleplaying Game System from Chaosium. It was pretty generic world, but the system was quite distinict from DnD.
I think this new iteration is quite shite too be perfectly honest. It's is quite noticable that they are trying to get the DnD crowd.
This product will be released a couple of extra source books will be released then it will release a true 5th Edition release as with their other fantasy products.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom