Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Syril, Dec 2, 2011.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not like you could anyway.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    In the original version of Dragon's Dogma, each ferrystone cost 20,000 gold (or 10,000 at Fournival, who has a limited number at any time, and only at this reduced price if you establish his innocence), but the Dark Arisen expansion slashed the price of ferrystones to just one-tenth what they had been. This made it relatively trivial to purchase and use them freely, whereas in the original version they were expensive enough that each use had to be carefully considered. I recall some posts in this thread, from people who started with the original version, complaining about fast travel becoming too easy in the Dark Arisen version.

Similarly, the original version only had a single portable Portcrystal located in Bluemoon Tower, meaning that (unless you were continuing in NG+ mode), your only teleport options were back to Gran Soren (the permanent Portcrystal) or to wherever you had laid this one portable Portcrystal after obtaining it during Stage 4. However, the Dark Arisen expansion added another 4 portable Portcrystals, all of them obtained earlier, with the first present in the Everfall where you are directed immediately after entering Gran Soren. Between cheap ferrystones (or the free everlasting ferrystone) and additional portable teleportation spots, fast travel was drastically altered.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    imagine using ferrystones

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Begone thot! Begone thot! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Does anyone with intimate knowledge of the game know how often Sapfire Daggers' Lowered Defense procs? Is there an internal cooldown to it? I'm wondering if these can pull ahead of Heaven's Key by way of giving potentially crazy burst damage over the consistency of Holy damage.

^ Top  
  5. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    I just know that they're awesome with hundred/thousand kisses, I prefer pure strength daggers (Framae Blades) in most situations though. But if you're level 200 and have end-game gear, pretty much any weapon will do. Cheat mode is dragonforged Rusted Bow and Sapfire Daggers/Framae Blades.

^ Top  
  6. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Yeah at this point I can destroy everything at level 178 but I always enjoy seeing how fast I can melt bosses with tons of HP. As an aside I genuinely think Instant Reset might be the best skill in the game.

To explain: I prefer playing solo and only bringing my pawn with me if I know the area has a maneater somewhere and then tossing them off a cliff, it has pretty much been my new playthrough challenge on Hard Mode. The biggest annoyance used to be double or triple Eliminators that could cause instant death off one knockdown. Instant Reset made these packs complete jokes since you can always avoid that scenario. You can also spam things like Masterful Kill counter attacks or ignore animation locks like whiffing Thousand Kisses or using a jewel or weapon enchant.

I've also learned from old days of DMC if a Capcom game has a cancel option in it, go for it because it'll likely be godly.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    I always felt taking Instant Reset was a wasted skill slot, since there are so many dagger skills for every vocation I'd rather take, like Hundred/Thousand Kisses, Masterful Kill, Immolation or even Gale Harness, and then something basic against trash mobs like Cutting Wind or Dazzle Blast.
    Instant Reset always struck me as a passive, reactive kinda thing you shouldn't have to use. However, while kinda worthless, this is still pretty cool:
    [​IMG]

And I've always been of two minds about Masterfull Kill; it's a bit too easy to use, since it lasts forever, there's no timing needed whatsoever, so it feels a bit like cheating. But that's a pattern in DD: once you know the game, almost everything feels like cheating.

I love to immolate myself before opening chests on BBI btw.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Experience has taught you well.

^ Top  
  9. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    stands naked watching the sunset, feeling empty inside

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    After over 100 hours I never noticed in the Dark Bishop boss room there's a jump by the entryway that you can double vault up if you have the skill unlocked to get to a higher ledge and go down some independent corridor that leads to two chests which usually have a high tier cursed item drop or rift crystal drop.

The Forgotten Hall also has two "hidden" pathways. In the room which usually has the double imprisoned gorecyclops when you go down the narrow corridor which leads to a chest/dead end you can jump up to a partially obscured by overgrowth ledge. Taking this path will directly lead to an ornate chest. If you stop midway though you can jump off into shallow water and get another chest hidden under the wooden bridge and a lore entry for the monument.

Not counting some other locations you can get to with double vaulting or clever use of a succubus taxi. I love when a game rewards the player for taking a skill like that.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    They can't keep it from us forever.

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Black Arcane

Black
    Never ever.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    It'll release soon™ just like Deep Down!

• Rage Rage x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Ventidius Savant

Ventidius
    I don't really think Capcom have lost interest in this IP, the ports and the animated series IMO attest to that. They have probably just been allocating resources to other ventures (they have been doing a lot of big projects in the last few years), but I don't think it's too far-fetched to think they'll revisit the franchise eventually.

Also, when franchises with a strong core following (I hesitate to call it 'cult' since DD is quite a bit more mainstream than that) go this long without a sequel they tend to build up a certain mystique, which devs and publishers have been known to exploit for marketing effect. That's why, if they were to work/are working on it, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear about it until it's almost done.

^ Top  
  16. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Yes, and as is also often the case, they'll utilise the core audience in creating hype, and betray them at the same time by dumbing the game down beyond recognition in order to maximise profit.

• Despair Despair x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    A sequel has been in development since 2018.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    I mean we already know it's happening, and we now have two leaks saying it's a thing. That one Resident Evil leaker has said a little about it as well. It never made its way here, but they were also running the Online game for four years, so Capcom losing interest in the series isn't something to really worry about. Covid may have throw a wrench in the release dates, but at some point it was scheduled for a second quarter of next year release.

Capcom basically had two Dragon's Dogma teams. The first is the original team, which is Hideaki Itsuno's Devil May Cry team that's been doing Devil May Cry stuff since Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition; he's been doing something (presumably Dragon's Dogma 2) since DMC5 wrapped in 2019. The second team splintered off from the original team and did Dark Arisen and Dragons Dogma Online; Online also wrapped in 2019 too, so maybe they're back with Itsuno on a new Dragon's Dogma too.

• Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Old Hans Cipher

Old Hans
    man that game still looks cool as hell

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Yes, that's exactly why it hasn't materialised.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. curds Erudite

curds
    Your constant barrage of negative one liners is exhausting.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Some people refuse to not be negative.

I finally beat the entire game just the past week, I didn't really find Death and such to be all that fun so I won't go for the Round 2 on Bitterblack Isle. I had this thought for a while but there's an annoying amount of emphasis on gearing in the game that can be the difference between a balanced fight, a cakewalk, or an item spam. I wish there were easier ways to both track down items (was there an in-game bestiary?) as well as better equipment placements so that you don't just rely on the RNG of the game to hand you a good weapon.

Otherwise, my impression is still the same. Amazing game feel, truly modern systematic combat, great atmosphere, the AI is dumb as fuck. The final boss in bitterblack is also a lot more fun than the final boss of the normal game although I'm not really too keen on the RNG of the AI of getting wiped or not. That is not to say what they did with the AI wasn't impressive but if the game had a more direct method of command (do this spell/attack, don't follow me, DON'T do this spell etc) it probably would've fared better.

But yeah, amazing game.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    I watched one random episode of that DD animated show and let me tell you, this show is SOME REAL SHIT.

Show Spoiler
    The episode I saw had some guy who was on the verge of being cucked super hard by his wife who showed an interest in the main character after he saved her from being raped by a horde of goblins while her husband was too scared to do anything and would've sat there watching it play out otherwise. The wife tries to suck the main character's penis but he wards her off with strong Japanese stoic energy and her husband confronts her and vows to be a REAL MAN. She openly mocks him to which he takes it like a little bitch. Some time later they're ambushed again by the horny goblin horde while the main character is off fighting a griffin and the husband manages to find his balls and actually defends his wife. Their guards arrive and are like, "holy shit this pussy actually did it" and the wife is visibly turned on and in love all over again by this show of masculinity. The husband then goes like, "nobody will ever take you from me" and they go to embrace...

BUT HE FUCKING STABS HER. That's right thot, you flash your shit over town like Sharon Stone and this is what ya get. He remarks that if he can't have her, nobody can, ultra based move by all accounts. But! But then! She whispers how she always loved him and only wanted to feel protected and cherished. The husband realizes he fucked up hard and decides to KILL HIMSELF next to her. That's it. That's the episode. No happy endings on this one. I couldn't believe this was on Netflix of all places and didn't come with twenty suicide hotline recommendations and five warnings. If the show is this unfathomably fucked up then I'm all for it. Shit, I hope DD2 is this fucking gloomy.

Bruddas, I was looking around my room all bewildered while this was going on. I was that entertained.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Really feel sorry for that dude, went unarmed and unarmoured just to have a proper fight and I still took him down in three hits.
    Then again my fault for playin DDDA like it's Yakuza.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Sounds absolutely run-of-the-mill anime man.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.