Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Syril, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Zed Duke of Banville Dungeon Master Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Cope:
    [​IMG]

Perhaps you should ruminate on the fact that you couldn't think to use ice magic against a fire-breathing dragon, then came here to complain about how difficult the fight was.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Matador Arcane

Matador
    I liked it, but you can go straight to Bitterblack Isle if you want. There would be points where you will notice the difficulty ramping up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    I did it with daggers and it was super easy.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Porky be sure to use Holy enchantments/buffs against the Dark Bishop on Bitterblack Isle. Makes the fight way easier, trust me.

:) Just giving a nice Nintendo hotline tip to my nigga. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I just krumped him.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    It looks cool in videos but I could never stand it in practice because of how unwieldy and slow it feels compared to just instantly smashing things in melee.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    TBH I felt that both my Warrior and my Sorcerer were 'impractical' when compared to things like Mystic Knight, but they were more satisfying overall.

The real issue was when I got to certain enemies in Bitterblack Isle and my Sorcerer's physical attack stat meant his spells couldn't deal damage. Turns out the game checks for normal attack against normal defense before factoring in magical damage. So I ended up having to holy shot spam against Daimon.

^ Top  
  10. Sharpedge Cipher

Sharpedge
    I found sorcerer to be much more difficult (but also satisfying) to play as well. Classes like Strider favor an all out aggressive approach and Mystic Knight rewards a highly reactive gameplay, where you watch what your enemies do and then react to it in order to harm them. Sorcerer on the other hand rewards you for having a tactical understanding of how the fight works. You need to know when you are safe to cast spells, otherwise you will either be constantly interrupted and do no damage or you will just die. You can play it safe and just spam Holy Shot against everything, but that in my opinion takes away from the fun of the class.
    That was why I said its tedious and takes forever in comparison. You do have tools that can work, but they are (obviously) more clunky than just getting in close and bashing them with a mace. This is fine though, because as I said, its good that different classes have a different experience with fights.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Rafidur Learned

Rafidur
    But Mystic Knight has these big meaty counters that shit particle effects everywhere... Mystic Knight spellcasting and ball-smacking feel lackluster, but these counters, mwah.

Of course, it's less fun than Magick Archer (bouncy arrows! set yourself on fire and triple jump into a monster's crotch! set yourself on fire and get eaten by a chest! set yourself on fire and hug some explosive nails!)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Sure, but that's still within the realm of being more practical than a super charged attack or a super charged spell that leaves you vulnerable to attack. You can also just be a fighter and dragon-maw everything dead.

^ Top  
  13. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    To be fair on the golem thing, the reverse is true for melee and those spirits things, and those are arguably more common. I remember doing it even with spellcaster pawns, and they were so bad at finishing/choosing their spells that I still just wailed on them with a magical weapon as faster, but it was definitely tedious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sharpedge Cipher

Sharpedge
    Yeah every class has an enemy like that, I was just pointing out the sorcerer one as an example.

^ Top  
  15. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    i kill the (woods) metal golem by standing on a hill and charging exequy for 5 mins

have to eat a bunch of 'shrooms to pull it off though

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. mogwaimon Magister

mogwaimon
    no magic system in modern gaming compares to the satisfaction of a fully charged High Bolide (that's the one with the meteors, right) and cackling as the heavens rain down destruction on a single lowly goblin...sorc is a damn fun class, just not super efficient =D I hope whatever they do with magic in DD2, they don't lose the 'magic' of DD1's spells.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Sounds like a typical refrain from the man who hasn't had a single original thought in his life. Let me break it down for you bre, in simple digestible pieces even someone like you could understand:

RPGs have this notion of classes or roles, where you get to play the role that you want. I chose to play a fighter because I wanted to play a swordsman. If I had wanted to use magic, I would've rolled a mage or a sorcerer. But thank you as always for your worthless input. <tips fedora>

• Funny Funny x 2
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    you also choose to cry like a girl because someone with a sword has problems fighting things that are big and can fly.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Shield Hero is very cool, yes.

Good Lord, j-just shut the fuck up, will ya?!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I like pretty much all of the vocations. The one I've played the least is Ranger, but only because the strider and assassin both have bows and are more versatile. The magick archer is mostly bow oriented like the ranger but it has ricochet shot which is hilarious in BBI and explosive rivets which are just fun in general.

I find the warrior a little bit clunky for my tastes, at least if I'm trying to land one of the arc moves. It's like a sorcerer (charging) without the benefit of being able to hide somewhere to charge in safety. Of course, when you land the perfect hit, it's very satisfying. The game is amazing for trading off the different playstyles and delivering something that feels satisfying for each one while scratching an itch for a different sort of experience / power fantasy.

Anyway, sometimes you have to feel sorry for the monsters in the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    You are the one whining cause someone of more inclined tastes than you points out some issues with a game you like. So maybe YOU should shut the fuck up, kiddo.

I dispute the validity of your argument on the following 2 grounds:

1. As you have never seen a girl in RL, I doubt you'd know what one cries like.
    2. Since you cannot tell the difference between someone pointing out a valid balancing issue with a game and crying, clearly you, my friend, are too dumb to make any judgement calls in general. ;)

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    P.S. I also beat the game yesterday. <chuckles> Likely at a lower level than most of you fanboys AND doing less online look ups.

Read em and weep:

[​IMG]

Oh and the very last quest, the great hereafter, is one of the most retardedly designed quests ever. Talk about anti-climactic, and that's even IF someone can figure out to off themselves after portaling around like a dumbfuck ghost.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    sees no True Conqueror, Messiah or Cheat Death

dismissive snort

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    > (((((((((((((((whining))))))))))))))

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Reminder that Porky died multiple times to Pinwheel in Dark Souls. PINWHEEL.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.