Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

hackncrazy

Savant
They're very different games, hardly comparable.

For Dragon's Dogma I'll say it's a quirky, thoroughly charming game with great ambience and concepts.

– The story is front- then end-loaded, overly so; meaning that it starts fine enough, then it sort of goes nowhere or in circles for 70-80% of the game, then it comes back in full force at the end.
– Combat is great. Archery in particular I found fantastic, with some skills like Reaper Arrow having a palpable, physical impact. Overall it's meaty and chunky and all kinds of right, but it's on the easy side so that's not to everyone's taste.
– At multiple moments I felt a true sense of adventure and discovery, of the likes I have rarely felt in a game. "Oh what's there... is that a cavern or a chasm or canyon of sorts?" Next thing I knew pitch-black night had fallen, there were harpies everywhere, and ghosts as those might haunt a bog, and my little lantern was slapping against my thigh as I ran for my life with no oil left in reserve.
– Awesome monster designs. Some of them—like the ogres—I find sincerely disturbing. Only after playing through the base game did I discover devs from Resident Evil had worked on Dragon's Dogma, and that explained a lot of things. Night can be a spoopy time.
– Humor. Of course it's highly personal, and admittedly I have no idea whether or not some things are meant to be humorous or if they simply come across as such—but I actually laughed out loud at some points, which for me is rare. Also, in one specific instance, this game trolled me as no game before nor since has managed.
– The extension, Dark Arisen, is excellent. Thick with an increasingly sludgy manner of atmosphere as you delve deeper into the isle.

And many other qualities. But faults, too. It's a rough gem—but a gem.

This all being said, keep in mind that it is very much an unfinished game; I seem to recall an interview with Itsuno in which he said he and his team managed to develop only about 60% of what they had envisionned. To publish the game in time they had to leave a lot on the table, and it's plainly evident. Vast zones of the base game are empty, and you can just feel all that was supposed to be there, but is unfortunately not.

Thanks for the answer (and all other people that answered).

Since it's only 5 bucks at Steam I just got it. For everything you've said, the part I most attracted to is the sense of adventure and discovery, which is definitely my favourite thing in FS games and that not that many games brings to the table.

Delterius

Arcane
jeremy-irons-D-and-D.gif

its happening and there's nothing that can dissuade me from that fact

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know that there will not be anything shown. That is why I hope. To get my hope crushed. I am a masochist.
1655395400192.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah! I'm so dumb. It should have been obvious since this is Capcom.

New Street Fighter 6 DD Anniversary DLC pack! Join Ryu, Chun-li and friends with new challengers Fournival, Madeleine, and the Seneschal Arisen!

New DD themed weapons DLC packs for Monster Hunter Rise!

Play as Selene or Aelinore in the new Dragon's Dogma 10th Anniversary Resident Evil: Village character DLC packs!

All DLCs sold separately pre-order now!

Thank you for the continued support and love for Dragon's Dogma! We are happy to continue to receive your money while doing nothing!

Modron

Arcane
Can't you just toss them off a cliff and never revive them? Been a while since I played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom