Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The mage sucks in this game. Tried it 3 times and it never gets good. The rest of the game is promising though so I might try an Archer type.

Delterius

Arcane
I wouldn't go so high (pun!) as 97%
the other 3% is stuff like

the heavy feel of spellcasting. people say that the fun part of magic in dragon's dogma is conjuring tornadoes. but the physicality of casting a spell can be felt as early as Fire Wall, where your character seems to struggle with the air to cast it and how it throws enemies around. spells feel heavy as soon as you lose your breath casting them and i was really happy when the 10 year anniversary video talked about that.

seeing my character in cutscenes, and having the model stay the same throughout.

the story strangely enough. it was serviceable until the very end, set my expectations 'low' and then it jumped the ledge and got me invested all of a sudden. this despite the cuts.

the localization being ye olde english done well, i think, for the most part. casting frigor is cooler than 'ice spike'.

the fact that movement and fighting is enjoyable in itself makes the whole walking simulator part of the game be something i enjoy doing.

the world being originally designed with shortcuts through mountain paths and going down hill to places of interest, rather than fast travel. somewhat undercut by dark arisen but then again it was the expansion pack.

the odd moments where the game acknowledges that you're going off the rails. killing the griphon early. stealing the duke's ring. adds to the story's themes where the main character is pushing through the envelope and 'going somewhere we can't follow you'.

the tiny evil cultist leader dying.

i just enjoyed the game so much that 3% is a whole bunch.

Carceri

Arcane
The mage sucks in this game. Tried it 3 times and it never gets good. The rest of the game is promising though so I might try an Archer type.
The mage vocation is more suitable for a pawn. Try a Strider, you can play it from the beginning and is a top tier vocation. If you master the Fracture Dart skill you're in for quite a treat.

Alex

Arcane
I've never been able to understand what people find good about the first game. I tried playing it for a while, but it looked like a huge mmo world with a gimmicky combat system that couldn't decide if it wanted to be an action game or not.

But then again, I didn't play very far, so maybe the great aspects of the game show up later?
Did you try the advanced classes? Combat gets really fun with assassin where you zip around the battle field. Or warrior who can kill things with one hit. Or magic archer that does crazy things with bow, like homing arrows that fly around and dart towards the enemy. First couple of hours are pretty bland, I agree; but once you get to the capital and can pick different classes. It really picks up.

Interesting.

No, I didn't try the advanced classes. How is the sorcerer? I usually like playing pure spellcasters.

Delterius

Arcane
The character creator tieing the psychical build of your character into the stat system feels like such a revelation (yet simple idea) you almost wonder why it took so long to be done.
This reminds me of this time when Felipepe and Roxor were arguing about Undertale. Roxor asked Felipe wether 'making unique sound cues for when different characters speak is really that innovative'. Felipe then asked what other game does that sort of thing. It was enough to sent anyone into an existential crisis.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
How is the sorcerer?
I never played sorcerer, always played Assassin with a bunch of strength augments from the other classes. My pawns roll that class. It's okay. I don't like how some of the spells can obscure my vision within the dungeons though. I never liked how when I hired onlines pawns while exploring Bitterblack. They'd summon a giant tornado that'd make fighting enemies in small areas impossible.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How is the sorcerer?
I never played sorcerer, always played Assassin with a bunch of strength augments from the other classes. My pawns roll that class. It's okay. I don't like how some of the spells can obscure my vision within the dungeons though. I never liked how when I hired onlines pawns while exploring Bitterblack. They'd summon a giant tornado that'd make fighting enemies in small areas impossible.
You don't need to fight enemies when you summon a giant tornado.

Alex

Arcane
The character creator tieing the psychical build of your character into the stat system feels like such a revelation (yet simple idea) you almost wonder why it took so long to be done.
This reminds me of this time when Felipepe and Roxor were arguing about Undertale. Roxor asked Felipe wether 'making unique sound cues for when different characters speak is really that innovative'. Felipe then asked what other game does that sort of thing. It was enough to sent anyone into an existential crisis.
Banjo & Kazooie?

Silverfish

Arbiter

Mage is fun, but you're playing traffic director rather than engaging directly. It's the Master Shake of DD vocations and highly recommended for a more relaxed, humorous run.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
mage is a support oriented vocation ,with some offensive spells. the meat of offensive spellasting comes from Sorcerer. In this game vocations manages to catch the feeling of an archetype perfectly. in case of sorcerer you are not going melee but instead flailing your hands for an hour preparing the spell,and can be easily interrupted. But when you cast the spell, everything gets melted by the destruction from the sky you conjured. i have only seen my pawns in action ,but i'm definitely gonna play sorcerer at some point.

p.s. IIRC there is also combo casting: if you and your pawns are casting the same spell and are near, you can cut the cast time in half ,in three or four, depending how many you are at doing this,allowing you to wipe the whole game enemy roster in few seconds

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
How is the sorcerer?
Maelstrom is the only spell that was causing this, but i think they made a patch to make it more transparent, or i remember wrong?

Shrimp

Arbiter
I do wonder what changes there will be in DD2 compared to the original game. Will we see more Souls or Monster Hunter influence in the game?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I do wonder what changes there will be in DD2 compared to the original game. Will we see more Souls or Monster Hunter influence in the game?

I guess a more refined combat system for starters, given this is made by the DMC team, right?
i'd hate if they changed something relevant of the combat system, that is already almost perfect.i just want them to replace the few useless skills, maybe add sone new vocations, and add 3 more skills for warrior, so he is on par with other classes, done.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I hope for a different armor system. DD's armor system made enemies into damage sponges if you're underleveled.
yes damage formula is fucked. if you don't surpass enemies defenses you literally do no damage.this lead to weird situations like when you are a ranger you do no damage to bosses with tenfold arrow because damage is split in 10 ( for each arrow shot) ,but with a brutal arrow ( dmg unsplitted ) you can even do 1 health bar damage. Or you try what happens with explosive arrows + tenfold arrow. now you are killing last game boss ( the expac one) within 15 seconds. it happened to me and ruined the climax ...

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I guess a more refined combat system for starters, given this is made by the DMC team, right?
Hitting the DUNNO button on this one. Ryota Suzuki, the guy who was lead gameplay designer for Dragon's Dogma and DMC5, has left Capcom some years ago and joined up with Square to work on Final Fantasy 16. This is my biggest worry.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Summoner class is coming. I would expect it to be inspired in V from DMC V

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom