Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakengard 3

Cool name

Arcane
From what I did read on Siliconera Shiba Takamasa, Yoko taro, Okabe Keiichi, and Fujisaka Kimihiko will be back for Drakengard 3.

However I do not know how trustworthy this is.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
If it's not Yoko Taro I don't want it...

Good find.
Indeed. Also for those wondering about Yoko Taro he did Drakengard and Nier but was kept away from Drakengard 2 so he has nothing to do with that.

God he better be there. I won't even consider it if he's not there.

From what I did read on Siliconera Shiba Takamasa, Yoko taro, Okabe Keiichi, and Fujisaka Kimihiko will be back for Drakengard 3.

However I do not know how trustworthy this is.
Holy crap you are right.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/12/original-drakengardnier-team-reunites-for-drakengard-3/
Though I'm wondering if the music guy also did the music for Nier or just Drakengard. Still excited as hell and hoping this get's brought over without the censorship (though I know it won't:().

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Wow, we were all just talking about the series and now this.

Wonder if they're even going to bother acknowledging 2. Would be cool if they went from another ending like Nier did.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, this is wonderful news then.
I'm genuinely very, very happy. Like I keep saying over and over, Nier is a beautiful game - a masterpiece, really. If esteemed Yoko Taro and his colleagues and make just one more game like this the world will be a happier place.

And by happier I mean more depressing. Like most masterpieces, their work is rooted in deep melancholia - perhaps the emotion I most identify with.

80Maxwell08

He made the music for Nier.
Let us enjoy this brief moment of happiness, together, my friends...

I'm such a terrible individual- but the love I have for Nier, for PS:T, for Dark Souls- for their wistful sorrow and the happiness within them transcends what such a medium could hope to accomplish in most that would consume it.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well, this is wonderful news then.
I'm genuinely very, very happy. Like I keep saying over and over, Nier is a beautiful game - a masterpiece, really. If esteemed Yoko Taro and his colleagues and make just one more game like this the world will be a happier place.

And by happier I mean more depressing. Like most masterpieces, their work is rooted in deep melancholia - perhaps the emotion I most identify with.

80Maxwell08

He made the music for Nier.
Let us enjoy this brief moment of happiness, together, my friends...

I'm such a terrible individual- but the love I have for Nier, for PS:T, for Dark Souls- for their wistful sorrow and the happiness within them transcends what such a medium could hope to accomplish in most that would consume it.

:yeah: God this better come over here. I'll import it if I have to but I would like to not have to play the game on my tv while looking up what people are saying on my computer.

deuxhero

Arcane
What are the odds you'd be talking about it just before a sequel is announced?

I would not be surprised if SE fines a way to screw it up, being modern SE and all, but I guess I've got to emulate the original and buy Nier once I have space in my backlog.

How long are they?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It depends on how thoroughly you wish to play them. You are looking at 25-40 hours for Nier, though you can finish it faster than that if you make haste. Drakengard, I cannot say. That is more of a game to read a Let's Play of rather than play- the game itself is lacking, other than the strange, bizarre cast, the oppressive, messed up atmosphere and the wild, eerily odd plot.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
How long are they?
I'm gonna be honest with you; out of the three games in the series, the only one I'd recommend without attaching a great big IF or BUT is Nier. Drakengard's gameplay is simply fucking awful, like, really goddamn bad; a shitty, dull, hybrid of Dynasty Warriors and Panzer Dragoon at the best of times and an insanely monotonous grind for the rest of it (i.e. when you want to get the other endings, which'll make up most of the length of your playthrough). Had one guy actually theorize that the bad gameplay was another intentional aspect of the game's sheer nihilistic tone.

Just avoid Drakengard 2, the absolutely only thing they did right in that game was Caim, and that was only because they basically changed nothing about his character at all.

As said earler, Niers around 25-40 hours if you're willing to invest time in the other endings (which you should) or the sidequests (which, barring the ones which reward you with weapons, you honestly shouldn't bother with. One thing you'll learn when playing these games is Cavia fucking hated completionists).

80Maxwell08

Arcane
How long are they?
I'm gonna be honest with you; out of the three games in the series, the only one I'd recommend without attaching a great big IF or BUT. Drakengard's gameplay is simply fucking awful, like, really goddamn bad; a shitty, dull, hybrid of Dynasty Warriors and Panzer Dragoon at the best of times and an insanely monotonous grind for the rest of it (i.e. when you want to get the other endings, which'll make up most of the length of your playthrough). Had one guy actually theorize that the bad gameplay was another intentional aspect of the game's sheer nihilistic tone.

Just avoid Drakengard 2, the absolutely only thing they did right in that game was Caim, and that was only because they basically changed nothing about his character at all.

As said earler, Niers around 25-40 hours if you're willing to invest time in the other endings (which you should) or the sidequests (which, barring the ones which reward you with weapons, you honestly shouldn't bother with. One thing you'll learn when playing these games is Cavia fucking hated completionists).
Definitely listen to this since some of those sidequests are pure torture. Though a few sidequests in the first part of the game will actually have follow ups in the second part which are pretty good. Also if you are going for multiple endings you only need to do the side-quests once since it saves that data.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I did them all anyway, just to hear them talk more.
Oh same here I loved the dialog between the characters.

Also more people are picking up the Drakengard 3 news.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...reveals-drakengard-3-rpg-and-its-female-leads
http://gematsu.com/2013/03/drakengard-3-announced-for-playstation-3

A quote in that gematsu article scares me though.
“It’s not Drakenguard or Nier,” said creative director Yoko Taro. “If you’re expecting that, you’ll be disappointed.”
Still excited but now I'm a bit cautious.

EDIT: Should we start a Drakengard 3 thread for this now that there's actual news to go on?

lightbane

Arcane
Frigging Drakengard 3?? With Yoko Taro? HELL YES!!! :bounce:
One of the few games that could be considered both:decline: and :incline: at the same time.

Zero’s power allows her to unleash magical attacks by singing. You can use Utautai song powers when you bathe in blood which pushes your fighting power to the limit
Hopefully they'll take the chance to troll Dragon Age to hell and back. You can expect pretty much anything from these gus...

Playstation 3

:rage:
Oh well, there's still hope...

PS: I almost forgot: Fuck Nowe, he's the literal incarnation of everything wrong about jrpgs.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
http://kotaku.com/5990272/first-look-at-drakengard-3

blood.jpg

Grimdark.

sisters_640x360.jpg

Bathing in blood will be a gameplay mechanic. Suck on that, Dragon's Age.

Edit: Oops wrong thread. Oh well.

Cool name

Arcane
They did make both Deadly Premonition and Spy Fiction, both of which are weird, unique, and highly divisive games on their own right. The guys behind Drakengard and Nier teamed up with the guys behind Deadly Premonition and Spy Fiction can mean awesome bizarre and surreal weirdness... Or disaster. :P After all both teams are known for making weird games with great but nigh-inescrutable plots couple with somewhat eccentric and flawed gameplay, though I do not know how many of Spy Fiction's team do still remain in the studio.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Goddamn.

I am a pure PC player. I do not even like too much Anime-style.

Drakengard an Nier were the only console titles I was fascinated enough to watch a LP from the start to finish. They're simply that insanely weird and cruel.
So, I'll simply wait for this to get out, and see if the insanity continues.
Lack of a mute mass murderer greatly saddens me, though.
Thanks for the news.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Shit looks rad. :bounce:

I have not been into this franchise, but the premise sounds cool enough, albeit the fact that even here people are complaining about the gameplay is discuraging. Would anyone of old timers recommend the PS2 original to a chronic storyfag?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No, but most would recommend Nier, I'd wager. Mrowak

Drakengard makes for an... interesting Let's Play, though. I recommend checking out the SA LP archive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom