Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakengard 3

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
TheDarkId had a good LP of it, along with Drakengard 2 and Nier. Though it was mostly humorous, so that could get in the way if you're hoping for an ultra grimdark and cynical experience.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Shit looks rad. :bounce:

I have not been into this franchise, but the premise sounds cool enough, albeit the fact that even here people are complaining about the gameplay is discuraging. Would anyone of old timers recommend the PS2 original to a chronic storyfag?
Definitely recommended if you like bleak depressing stories. Mind you Drakengard's story is apparently censored heavily (I never noticed save one character) but it's still very good. The core gameplay isn't too bad but the problems come in with later enemies. Still I can easily recommend Drakengard and Nier. Avoid Drakengard 2 it's completely banal compared to it's predecessor and successor. A bunch of JRPG cliches, removal of everything that made the first game so interesting, and only existing because corporate greed. Like I mentioned before Drakengard's first, and most "normal", ending was forced in by marketing which is the one 2 follows up on.

Also don't be a completionist with these games. Drakengard in particular will make you hate your life if you try being a completionist.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
But Cavia went under nearly as soon as Nier hit the stores. This isn't being made by the same people, right? I kind of fail to see the point in getting high hopes for this game if it's not by the same people who made the originals.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
But Cavia went under nearly as soon as Nier hit the stores. This isn't being made by the same people, right? I kind of fail to see the point in getting high hopes for this game if it's not by the same people who made the originals.
Technically Cavia were absorved into AQ Interactive (now MArvelous AQL) and Yoko Taro left. Some of the key people behind Nier and Drakengard are involved with this (particular Yoko Taro who wrote both games) and it's being made by Access Games whose games are in the links I posted here. So it's enough for me to be hopeful.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Technically Cavia were absorved into AQ Interactive (now MArvelous AQL) and Yoko Taro left. Some of the key people behind Nier and Drakengard are involved with this (particular Yoko Taro who wrote both games) and it's being made by Access Games whose games are in the links I posted here. So it's enough for me to be hopeful.

I won't say no to another depressing and awesome game. Here's me hoping that this will be just as good as the previous games.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
No, but most would recommend Nier, I'd wager. Mrowak

Drakengard makes for an... interesting Let's Play, though. I recommend checking out the SA LP archive.

Disappointing. :(

The reason I asked was because I don't own PS3 so no Nier or Drakengard 3 for me.

Yet another reason to buy this blasted machine. Hope after the release of PS4 prices of consoles and games will plummet.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Shit looks rad. :bounce:

I have not been into this franchise, but the premise sounds cool enough, albeit the fact that even here people are complaining about the gameplay is discuraging. Would anyone of old timers recommend the PS2 original to a chronic storyfag?

See, the problem with Drakengard is that the gameplay is terrible. No, I'm not talking about Planescape-style "Terrible gameplay," (Mediocre is more accurate) when people say Drakengard's gameplay is terrible, they mean terrible. The gameplay parts are absolute torture, which is a really big shame.

Nier's gameplay is really average. Gameplay still isn't special, but it doesn't make playing the game painful. It's still a storyfag kind of game and you really should play it if you ever get a PS3.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah, I just tried Drakengard and hot damn, shit's infuriating. And people say NWN's camera sucks.

lightbane

Arcane
Actually, Drakengard 2, despite being terribad and horrible, did very well what it was supposed to do (if only unintentionally): Twist every anime cliché possible and show how fucked up these kind of people would be in a somewhat realistic manner. Say, for example, Nowe, supposed to be every jrpg main character rolled together, he's actually a braindead fool with retarded strength that no-one likes (mostly for his retarded behaviour), he's a tool that's manipulated by the bad guys to do their nefarious schemes (if I recall correctly more than once someone points out he's not doing the right thing, yet he refuses to reply). At the end he has killed a lot of people, broke the Seals and caused a lot of suffering for no reason, to the point you really wanted him to lose (you know there's something wrong when a bloodthirsty mass murderer is a better character than the entire main cast put together).

Cool name

Arcane
@ Mrowak: While I did find Drakengard's gameplay mediocre myself (not attrocious as some would say) I do believe everyone who does deem himself or herself a storyfag should play that game. Though afterwards you will have a hard time not to smile in a condescending manner every time some game does claim to be 'dark and mature' and every time someone does talk about how the japanese are only able to make colorful childish games.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's pretty much Dragon's Age for adults if it was written by someone intelligent, with a sense of style. I recommend you at least read the Let's Play on the something awful LP archive.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I want to reiterate how I never played a more depressing and hopeless game than Nier.
There is no hope for anyone. Everyone is doing the wrong things for the right reasons. Nobody wants to be bad, but there is no choice. Their existence is suffering. It's even more crushing / exactly as crushing / crushing in a different way as Dark Souls.

And yet, in this darkest of all games, depressing as it is in every moment once you saw all endings once, it is one of the most humorous, with the most likable characters that grow on you so damn much.

:sniff:

/emotional faggot

Mrowak

Arcane
I want to reiterate how I never played a more depressing and hopeless game than Nier.
There is no hope for anyone. Everyone is doing the wrong things for the right reasons. Nobody wants to be bad, but there is no choice. Their existence is suffering. It's even more crushing / exactly as crushing / crushing in a different way as Dark Souls.

And yet, in this darkest of all games, depressing as it is in every moment once you saw all endings once, it is one of the most humorous, with the most likable characters that grow on you so damn much.

/emotional faggot

Now I have to play it!! :x

This is what John Cleese Jr has to say about it.

Goddamn, this both whetted my appetite and quenched my enthusiasm. I haven't watched the whole thing not to know the entire plot, but what I've seen confirmed your two observations:

1) The unusual structure of the plot and numerous endings are a gigantic draw to this game.
2) Evidently banal, shit, boring gameplay constitutes a major pullback.

@ Mrowak: While I did find Drakengard's gameplay mediocre myself (not attrocious as some would say) I do believe everyone who does deem himself or herself a storyfag should play that game. Though afterwards you will have a hard time not to smile in a condescending manner every time some game does claim to be 'dark and mature' and every time someone does talk about how the japanese are only able to make colorful childish games.

Nah, I already knew all that being exposed to thematically rich, disturbing japanese games (Silent Hill / Fatal Frame FTW!!). Even the more "colourful" ones, for "children" (FFIX and Ni no Kuni) touch upon serious issues and can be easily enjoyed by pretty much everyone.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh yeah, was Ni No Kuni any good? I didn't get it due to lukewarm Codex reception.
And you just reminded me to watch all these Fatal Frame LPs, I don't know that game.

You know, you might like Deadly Premonition as well, but it's a completely different mood.

Mrowak

Arcane
Oh yeah, was Ni No Kuni any good? I didn't get it due to lukewarm Codex reception.

I rely on a friend's recommendation here. Based on a little bit I played it looked promising. To me it's one of the must-buys once I get PS3.

And you just reminded me to watch all these Fatal Frame LPs, I don't know that game.

If you are into horror genre and japanese folklore with a twist look no further. I admit I am an impressionable lad, so playing horror involves a great deal of enjoyment and trauma on my part. I somehow persevered, which means the enjoyment factor overruled everything else. The game oozes atmosphere. LPs just don't do it the justice. Still, I haven't played parts 2 and 3.

You know, you might like Deadly Premonition as well, but it's a completely different mood.

It's an XBawks game, I think. Another title on my 'to-play list'.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's on PS3 as well, but only in nihongo. You might want to wait for the Director's Cut to be released. That should be PS3 too.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

/emotional faggot

Really, the entire tone of the game can be summed up with exactly one song

And while I'm on it, the soundtrack to this game is brilliant, simply brilliant, easily one of the best I've heard for any game since Silent Hill 2.

stabby

Learned
Siliconera said:
The game is being developed by Lord of Arcana maker Access Games...

Okay, I will admit that this little tidbit worries me. Though I've nothing against Access Games per se (much enjoyment was gained from their Ace Combat games on PSP), I will say that from what little I've played of Lord of Arcana it definitely comes of as an MH-Clone with more Actiony combat and, to put it plainly, QTE Finishers. Put in context with what I'm hearing (and remember playing) about the first Drakengard's combat, I'm definitely a little wary of what will come out of this. Hopeful, yes, but not quite on the verge of picking up a PS3 as I would like to be (admittely, the good word about Nier is getting me close to that edge).

Still, I might be a little unfair in this as it will be under different direction, and Arcana did get a sequel that might have improved combat a bit, but I'm somewhat unable to shake this feeling at the moment. :oops:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Here's a manga, hope you can read moonrunes:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/yg/introduction/dragondragoon/

And here's some concept art for the game:

drakenart04.jpg

drakenart06.jpg

drakenart03.jpg

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Interesting find. I'm kinda intrigued by that last image. Trying to figure out if it's supposed to be modern or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom