Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakengard 3

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Last one reminds me of Nier, especially the beginning of it.

I thought they'd stopped with Nier.

Wonder if they'll go with a different gameplay route this time. Something more JRPG-like maybe. Hope they don't.

However, he is an idealist who values peace and thinks that “no matter what opponent you are dealing with, talking can always solve any misunderstanding.

:decline: of Drakensang.

EDIT: Drakengard. Not as big a decline as Drakensang, but still decline. What made 'gard so interesting was how Caim and Angelus hated each other as much as they did their enemies.

They make Mikhail look like Barnie with wings. Not edgy enough for me, oh no sir.

lightbane

Arcane
Heh, a pacifist dragon? Clearly that means they already planned a massive trolling/fucked up moment for him, Seere (the little kid from D1) was also a pacifist in theory, yet look what he did in one of the endings :troll:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
However, he is an idealist who values peace and thinks that “no matter what opponent you are dealing with, talking can always solve any misunderstanding.

:decline: of Drakensang.
Not sure if that was a typo or you misread the thread title too. Either way it's wrong.

I meant Drakengard, derp.

But Drakensang declined too. :troll:
Well it looks like the main character is still violent so hopefully there's the same hatred in the game. If not I hope they do a good job with what they have.

What I really loved in the first game and made me soldier on through levels and levels of grinding against imperial sturmtruppen was the mutual hatred and tension between the dragon and the MC as well as the general grim setting that is so unusual for JRPGs. You knew that there would be no happy ending but it was hard to predict what event would cause it and when it would happen.

Hidden ending with the fighter jets for example and the beginning of Nier

80Maxwell08

Arcane
What I really loved in the first game and made me soldier on through levels and levels of grinding against imperial sturmtruppen was the mutual hatred and tension between the dragon and the MC as well as the general grim setting that is so unusual for JRPGs. You knew that there would be no happy ending but it was hard to predict what event would cause it and when it would happen.

Hidden ending with the fighter jets for example and the beginning of Nier
Totally agree. There's no point is making it generic and easy to predict. Cavia couldn't design a great combat system for the life of them and Nier's was just passable. When Drakengard 2 came out generic as hell there was (and still is) no real reason to play it. Gameplay is done much better in other games and storywise is just boring JRPG fare. Gameplay wise I haven't heard much better things about ACCESS to be honest. I would buy Lord of Arcana if I had spare money to try it myself but so far it's not looking too good. If there isn't that crazy Yoko Taro insanity then there will probably no reason to play this either.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really don't understand you. Because they called the dragon a pacifist this is decline? Did you not hear that being soaked in blood is a gameplay mechanic? This is going to be a depressing, insane, gut-wrenching experience, just like Nier and Drakengard; I have no doubts about that.

I can't wait!

You just know there's going to be some terrible character growth going on in which the dragon starts massacring children or something.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I'm already masturbating furiously.

Here's hoping that the protagonist is at least halfway as awesome as Caim was.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Hear Hear! Nier may be one of my favorite games but the main character there isn't psychotic enough to star in a proper Drakengard sequel.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not enough people even know what these games are. :<
It's often the case with beauty- who cares if you created a beautiful painting if there's nobody to see it! NieR is magical.

lightbane

Arcane
NieR was certainly awesome, they went as far as to create a different protagonist for the non-japanese audience (a sort of postapocalyptic old barbarian with an ill daughter to take care of).
:love:

Unsurprisingly, the "adult" Nier was infinitely more believeable and likeable than the emofag teenager one (even though the wapanese loathed the former :decline:). In any case, it demonstrated that non-teenager protagonists CAN be done.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
There's been a lot more information. It's very sexual and strange in some ways. A lot of it is odd. The director said if you are expecting Nier or another Drakengard you will be disappointed. There is also a 13 minute session with Japanese showing gameplay but if it was anything special I would tell you. But of course the gameplay has never been special. It's the story and the music and the art that these games excel in, especially Nier- and there seems to be a rather large and pretty messed up cast so there's fair odds it'll be interesting.

Here is a fine-looking story trailer. As you can see the game is still pretty in an artistic sort of way- the way the blood splashes on pretty things; the composition, the music.

And here's a list of characters, ripped from some wiki:

Characters
Zero (ゼロ Zero?) - Main protagonist and an expert swordswoman. She possesses the singing ability. An apathetic woman, she doesn't think much of men or the world around her. A flower grows around her left eye; her pink eyes are poignantly described to be enigmatic in the world of Drakengard.

One (ワン Wan?) - Zero's younger sister with similar powers as her sister. A direct contrast to her sister, she is a serious and intellectual person with mysterious red eyes (usually notes ties to Watchers). She wonders how the world can benefit from her singing abilities. Main protagonist of the comic, Drag-On Dragoon Shi ni Itaru Aka‎‎.

Two (トウ Tō?) - While the third Utautai sister Two does look cool as ice, she actually governs the country of sand. She’s a bright and cheerful young girl, who can get along with just about anyone. She is considered to be the life of the party character of the sisters. She’s currently seeing a man.

Three (スリイ Surii?) - She is one of Zero's sisters, and happens to be listless, lethargic and have a dangerous temperament. She is an Utautai and rules over a forest country and is said to be popular with some soldiers. Three is overly obsessed with her own interests, but does not care for anything that does not interest her. She is indifferent to her sister Zero.

Four (フォウ Foe?) - She is the fifth of the Utautai sisters and governs the mountain country. She speaks and acts with grace and has the refined personality of a good listener. But behind her prim and stiff personality hides a twisted inferiority complex. Much like the other Utautai, she possesses a high sex drive, but due to her repressed personality, she has never been able to act upon it and, among her sisters, is the only virgin.

Five (ファイブ Faibu?) - She is the Utautai who governs the water kingdom and one of six sisters. She has great confidence and greed, and relentless cravings, but the moment she obtains what she desires, her interest is lost. She speaks slovenly and loves to allude her sex life. Her appetite knows no bounds.

Mikhail (ミハイル Mihairu?) - Zero's dragon partner. Proud and intelligent, he has saved Zero countless times with his strength. Unlike other dragons in the series, he is an idealistic pacifist who believes that anyone can understand one another as long as they are willing to talk to one another. "Mikhail" is his well known nickname; his real name is different.

Cent (セント Sento?) - A good looking guy who wields a twin-sword. He has a lot of self-confidence but makes lots of mistakes, and causes trouble by spreading false information.

Octa (オクタ Okuta?) - An old man whose greed has no match and wields a special hoop as his weapon. He looks strange, but is cunning. Among the apostles, he boasts the biggest pride.

Decad (デカート Dekāto?) - A super masochistic middle-aged man who fights with a fist and well-trained body. Compared to the other apostles, he is a gentleman who has a normal personality and pays consideration to women. He is an extreme masochist who turns pain and agony into his personal reward. He tries to keep a low-profile, but is well-known to all the members nonetheless.

Dito (ディト Dito?) - A pretty boy on the outside who is extremely cruel and powerful on the inside. Wields a Chinese spear. A smart young man with sharp senses, he is able to understand other peoples’ mentality and hurt others with his wisdom. He finds delight in others’ painful expressions and screams.

Sound like a bunch of assholes, all right.

Last edited:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I played the first Drakengard and it had one of the most fucking retarded try-hard stories I've seen in a game. It desperately tried to rip off Berserk but failed to understand why Berserk is so good. Cramming a bunch of increasingly grimdark anime cliches into a game is neither original nor interesting. I've no idea why anyone wanted even a second game, let alone a third.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I played the first Drakengard and it had one of the most fucking retarded try-hard stories I've seen in a game. It desperately tried to rip off Berserk but failed to understand why Berserk is so good. Cramming a bunch of increasingly grimdark anime cliches into a game is neither original nor interesting. I've no idea why anyone wanted even a second game, let alone a third.

:1/5:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

:1/5:
:butthurt:

Felix

Arcane
Wonder if they can they get harder difficulties right this time around instead of making enemies annoying damage sponges like in Nier, that was tedious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom