Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakengard 3

LivingOne

Savant
After mentioning that he’d like to make Drakengard 4 on PS4, but he’s unable to because he lacks the funds for development, Drakengard 3 Director Taro Yoko received a large number of messages expressing support and enthusiasm, many of which suggesting the use of Kickstarter.

He replied on Facebook, explaining why Kickstarter is not an option for him, encouraging fans to address Square Enix directly with that kind of request.

Thank you for your offer.
Offcourse money is very important. But, I also need good development team and good producers. You know.

And Drakengard and NIER is not my IP. These titles are SquareEnix’s IP. I can’t decide anything about that. Best solution for this problem is you post to SquareEnix’s official account.

Thank you anyway. I am happy to read your message.

But be carefull. YokoTaro is could be Terrible GameCreator(ATGC). Anytime, Any platform.

Then the conversation continued on Twitter, with an user asking, between others, if it wouldn’t be cheaper to make a spin-off of the series using the Drakengard 3 engine, maybe on PS Vita:

@Ogechiogbe I will make spin off game someday. If I will get a chance.

Previously he did mention that he plans to make something new this year:

Thank you. I will make new something this year.

Personally, as a Drakengard fan since the first game, I’m eagerly waiting to see what Yoko-san’s next game will be, no matter the platform.​
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01...ngard-4-on-ps4-might-make-a-spin-off-one-day/

lightbane

Arcane
So, the BSO of this incoming game has already been uploaded to Youtube. Have a sample:

Watch out for possible spoilers.

deuxhero

Arcane
I struggle to make out most of it beyond the broadest sense (walls of text aren't the easiest thing to translate), but I can tell very quickly that many of the phrases are repeated between separate reviewers and 111 reviews (which is just the 1 stars) is high for a game on Amazon Japan, let alone for a fresh product (Link Between Worlds came out about the same time, is in the 10 ten best sellers, and it still doesn't have half the total reviews).

I'm going to go with some raid (as I know Japanese trolls have done to Amazon reviews in the past) until someone better at the language says otherwise (or at least until I see some other source of Japanese player reviews).

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Even if it wasn't, it's not like Drakengard 1 was immune to bad reviews (For good reason, objectively it's a bad game. It's still very interesting and one of my favorite...uh...experiences.)

I wouldn't call it bad, just very repetitive.

The story kept you going if you made it through the beginning and (what appeared at first to be) a plot you had seen before a hundred times.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I struggle to make out most of it beyond the broadest sense (walls of text aren't the easiest thing to translate), but I can tell very quickly that many of the phrases are repeated between separate reviewers and 111 reviews (which is just the 1 stars) is high for a game on Amazon Japan, let alone for a fresh product (Link Between Worlds came out about the same time, is in the 10 ten best sellers, and it still doesn't have half the total reviews).

I'm going to go with some raid (as I know Japanese trolls have done to Amazon reviews in the past) until someone better at the language says otherwise (or at least until I see some other source of Japanese player reviews).
Ah that makes sense. Thanks for that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They're a little bitter how ending A trolled them.
Then they struggle on and it's awesome again.

Then ending D comes around and there's either laughter, tears or madness. Have you /seen/ that? Yoko might as well given you the finger.

The amusing thing is, this is exactly what everyone wanted.

This game is really self-aware of Drakengard and what people liked about it, and uses those expectations to troll the player even harder. I for one find that admirable.

Alonebadman

Educated
All endings are as bitter and insane as the previous games. Characters aren't what you expect in typical fashion and all the mind-fuckery grim dark of the first game returns in full swing. Fuck, I love Drakengard. It was a dynasty warriors knock off but the story was so bat shit bonkers and random at times, it made it worth it. Ending C of Drakengard 1 still to this day is how you do a cliffhanger proper. Dragons Rising, People Dying, Children Crying and Caim Smiling. I shall slay the dragons without regret.

deuxhero

Arcane

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for that.

Mind you I haven't really tried reading any reviews before, so these may be common phrases in Japanese game reviews (the reviewer mentioning their like/dislike of the previous games at the start prob is).

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well we now have a release date. It is May 20 for US and May 21 for PAL. Also they are bringing over the Collector's Edition to the US for $80.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
No matter how the game itself actually is, but the OST is about as great as Niers. Any of our wapanese speaking fellows got something to say about the game itself mayhaps?

Whisky

The Solution
Downloading the game right now...

I am not sure who to blame for my extremely slow download speeds. Both Canadian Internet and Sony are fair targets for universal hatred, pick either and imagine I made a witty slam against them.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Downloading the game right now...

I am not sure who to blame for my extremely slow download speeds. Both Canadian Internet and Sony are fair targets for universal hatred, pick either and imagine I made a witty slam against them.
You can always blame both. It was annoying enough for me to download the 10gb japanese language pack.

Whisky

The Solution
So, I've been playing the game all day. Zero is the gender swapped Rance.

Seems more like a straight comedy rather than Drakengard 1's grimdark style. Still, it's been weird and funny, and the main character is a psychopath, so it's still good. Of course, Yoko Taro's games tend to take huge swerves into insanity once the concept of multiple endings shows up, so we'll see.

Whisky

The Solution
I've gotten up to Ending C down. Grinding for all the weapons to unlock Ending D.

None of the endings really trolled me yet, I saw Ending A's bodycount coming a mile away. Though Ending C had probably the biggest sucker punch when the camera abruptly panned to show Mikhail missing his entire left side and then ends with Zero staggering out vomiting up her guts every second step.

Poor Mikhail.

Though technically since Ending A leads into Drakengard 1, that one's by far the most horrifying since, well, Drakengard 1 happens. (And then NieR...)

EDIT: Got the final boss...Cavia strikes again!

I can get to the third sister's verse with no problems, but after that I just can't handle it. I'm completely tone-deaf, I can do the 1-2-3-4 beat for the beginning, but when the tempo increases I just can't keep up. There was a Youtube harmonizer that I tried using, but it kept going off-sync on Two's verse. Not to mention the shaking camera angles and those notes that occur when Zero and Mikhail are talking when the screen is blacked out.

Ended up watching the ending...that was something else.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Damn, there's an excellent Drakengard 3 Dark Id's let's play on Something Awful forum, I almost finished reading (only branch D remained) but now they wanna pay 10$ to register???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom