Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakengard 3

lightbane

Arcane
It seems you don't know how that particular forum works. Periodically they block their forums for non-registered users for several weeks (sometimes months or even days, depends of how greedy and/or cranky the mods feel at that point). So if you wish to finish reading that LP, you'll have to wait until it appears in the lparchive.org webpage or until they open their forums again. However, in the latter's case, you won't be able to access old threads (such as that lp), so your best interest would be to check the lparchive page every two days or so and hope it is updated with the Drakengard 3 lp. Unless you prefer to give them your money, of course. :M

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's absolutely worth to pay 10$ for the Let's Plays. If you are patient, you can wait and the good ones will be archived on lparchive in a while. Absolutely worth it for the LPs, though. Only reason I have an account, though I didn't pay for it myself.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I joined SA for their LPs, too. Definitely worth it if you enjoy good LPs.

Alternatively, as suggested, wait until it hits the LP Archive.

However, in the latter's case, you won't be able to access old threads (such as that lp), so your best interest would be to check the archives every two days or so and hope it is updated.. :M

Eh, propably it won't be updated since it has been completed. Wouldn't they wait just one or two days with this registration bullshit :argh:

lightbane

Arcane
I was referring to the lparchive webpage: every day they usually upload a finished lp (although sometimes they stop doing so for a few weeks before starting again, it is random).

First when I gave a chance, Drakendard 1 seemed to be pretty boring, then I read the walkthrough which blown my mind and recently I've returned to actual game - it's pretty good! Aerial missions suck ass but those of hacking'n'slashing are addictive, especially when you finally get rid of all mages or archers so you can mount your dragon and burn shit to the ground.

All of you like Nier the most but I would vote for D1 - Nier is just melancholic, D3 is a dark comedy but only D1 gives you a trve feeling of dark medieval times - sickness, cruelty and ubiquitous scorn for anything that breathes. I'm not aware of existence of any other game that could create such heavy, unpleasant atmosphere.

How do I select allies in D1? There's a cricle button on dualshock to do that but nothing happens when I press it.

edit: now it's ok, just PCSX2 in hardware mode didn't display additonal menus.

Last edited:
Guyz is there any backstory that confirmes that...

Zero is actually a Beast Queen from D1.

... or...

There is a time loop in Drakengard Universe: Queen Beast corpse causes end of humanity and leads to NieR -> D3 world's is the same as NieR's but many years later -> D1 happens which leads to Queen Beast battle in modern Tokyo - > cycle repeats.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Guyz is there any backstory that confirmes that...

Zero is actually a Beast Queen from D1.

... or...

There is a time loop in Drakengard Universe: Queen Beast corpse causes end of humanity and leads to NieR -> D3 world's is the same as NieR's but many years later -> D1 happens which leads to Queen Beast battle in modern Tokyo - > cycle repeats.
Go look up the Nier backstory. It's listed in the LP on lparchive.org and should answer a few of your questions.

lightbane

Arcane
Or read the LPs at LPArchive from DarkId if you don't want to spend time and money for each game, especially Drakengard 1 and 2.

yellowcake

Arcane
oasis789 make sure to enable 60FPS and FHD if your box can handle it. Also make sure you got the game with DLCs which are essential part of the game. You may also keep in mind that the game is badly translated and has a bit of different tone in English than original. You'll know it when you see it. Despite this I thing VAs made a good job with the material they got.

I can confirm that running this through RPCS3 is actually better than playing on Playstation 3 - there are no slowdowns in larger areas (like Four's Fortress).

PC master race won again.

It's old but haven't been pasted before:

In a tweet this morning, Nier: Automata and Bayonetta developers PlatinumGames revealed what the studio may be working on next. That game may be the next project from Nier creator Yoko Taro. The tweet suggests that Platinum will be developing Drakengard 4, the next in Yoko Taro's long-running fantasy RPG franchise.

The original Drakengard title was a PS2 game, the first game that Yoko Taro directed. The game, and its two sequels, were all published by Square Enix, who also published his second series Nier. In 2017, after having a cult following, Nier: Automata was a critical darling and a successful collaboration between Yoko Taro and a new team, PlatinumGames. The game went on to be huge to Square Enix, even letting Yoko Taro write a quest line in Final Fantasy 14. Drakengard 3 was released seven years ago, in 2013.

Early this morning, the official PlatinumGames account tweeted out a photo of the number four and a link to a new landing page of its website. Nothing of consequence exists on that page right now, or so it seems. Followers of Platinum and Square Enix believe this strongly hints at the studio's next game being Drakengard 4. It would make sense that Yoko Taro would be involved in this new project, but technically that detail has not yet been confirmed. No details have been confirmed at all aside from the number four.

This is the first of Platinum's big 2020 announcements. A Drakengard game with the expertise of developers who have crafted great action could be a bold new direction for the series. Now that Yoko Taro has hit a new level of mainstream success, he may have more free rein to go in even wilder directions than Nier: Automata, a feat that seems nearly impossible.

2020 and the following year could be big ones for Yoko Taro. Square Enix is already capitalizing on the 10-year anniversary of the original Nier by filing a trademark in Japan. It is rumored that a Nier remake is in the works, and potentially another sequel as well. Earlier this month, PlatinumGames received an investment from Chinese gaming conglomerate Tencent. This suggests it could also be working on another project entirely separate from Drakengard and Nier. Platinum is a studio known for juggling multiple projects at a time, so it is well within reason it is working on three different games right now.

https://gamerant.com/drakengard-4-rumor-platinum-games-teaser/

I wonder which period would D4 cover, I'd play true Drakengard sequel that follows D1 endings B,C or D.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
D4! I told you guys, I knew it! The madman! How will he fuck us next?
For the man suffering from chronic, diagnosed depression, anything Yoko Taro makes is like a gift from heaven. Such a beautiful man who understands the true joy only the bittersweet melancholy can bring.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I wonder which period would D4 cover, I'd play true Drakengard sequel that follows D1 endings B,C or D.
Taro tends to not use the same setting twice, so while all games play in the same universe (as much as opening a portal to an entirely different universe can be called the same) but he doesn't really do sequels. The one game he's expressed interest about developing in the past, is one that plays on the dark side of the planet, since one side is in perpetual daylight while the other is in perpetual darkness because the earth stopped rotating sometime before the time that the first Nier game plays in.

Taro tends to not use the same setting twice, so while all games play in the same universe (as much as opening a portal to an entirely different universe can be called the same) but he doesn't really do sequels.

Drakengard 3 is direct prequel to 1 that only switched its tone from grimdark to dark comedy.

I think that Drakengard universe is being stuck in some timeloop and some future game, either Drakengard or NieR, will end up with modern city being teleported into past and that's when Cathedral City appears and D3 begins - that's only for ending A of course. Ending E will be about breaking the cycle and every other ending will include some seriously fucked up shit.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Drakengard 3 is direct prequel to 1 that only switched its tone from grimdark to dark comedy.
Sure, it's a prequel in the sense that its the same timeline and setting/franchise. It also has essentially no story-reference to any of the characters to the original game, aside from the Watchers being present in both of them, and a bit more lore about how pacts work.

What I was referring to about Taro not liking to do sequels, is that he doesn't feel like doing another game with the same characters, or a timeline that is shortly before or after any of the previous games. Even Emil in N:Automata was essentially a new character (and a minor one at that) with just a few winks here or there that were more of a fanservice to players of the original game, than meaningful additions to Automata itself.
While Drakengard 3 is technically a prequel to Drakengard 1, and and Nier and Automata are sequels to it, they're also as far removed from it as you could possibly imagine. So much so that no one expected Nier and Darkengard 1 to even be related at all, yet they inexplicably were. In that sense it's less a prequel by modern PR standards, than just a different game playing within the same setting. The same way that Warhammer Fantasy is somewhat likely to be playing in the same universe as Warhammer 40k, yet you wouldn't consider either one of those to be a prequel or sequel to the other.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I've tried playing this in RPCS3, but it's unplayable. 3 FPS and completely unresponsive controls. It's not like that most of the time... but it is when it matters. I got to the end of chapter 2 and I just can't even attempt to play it anymore. I could try to force myself through it even further, but it feels like such a waste of time. The game just seems utterly boring, there's nothing compelling about it. It's just some rehash of Drakengard and Nier, but lolfunny haha dumb. And I played all the previous games, so that's saying something.

EDIT: Whatever, deleted. It's shit.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom