Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, but it doesn't fit my view of her.
if i recall the first part correctly, april had daddy issues, and problems with a lot of men, especially that douchebag across the floor (let's ignore all the kind father-figures aiding her in her quest, or the dood from the restaurant).

considering she was supposed to be much darker and cynical in the sequel, i was kinda hoping she'd turn into some kind of sexay pragmatic goth lesbo or at the very least bi... *sigh*

Pussycat669

Liturgist
This thread lacks some negativity.

That aside, I've never played it myself although I got some fond memories of its predecessor. Probably because it was a pretty easy but suprisingly long adventure game. I guess I should give Dreamfalls a whirl. Shouldn't be too expensive anymore.

Deleted member 7219

skyway said:
I must confess - I didn't play the first game, though I will fix that mistake ASAP.
but man this game was fucking good. it has a great storyline and worked just like a drug. the more you play it - the more you want it.
the actual gameplay part suck to say the least - mostly what the player should do is to run from the point A to the point B to see yet another cutscene with a really lots of dialogues - and only rarely to take part in the solving of some puzzle. but gameplay is not the part of it.
it's not even an interactive movie - it's more like some interactive book. a very awesome book - and though sometimes the game offer you some choices - they are nothing but cover of the linearity. however sacrificing the variety of real choices was for good.
the storyline started a little childish, a little like fairy tale with the main heroine being just a girl with all that girly things - and at first I thought it was so. however the game quickly changes and by the end it growth in some really adult, dark and grim story.
and that's because you, a codex-dweller, who craves for something with an awesome story, with a great world design and bullseye voice acting
MUST PLAY IT.

gosh I want to know what will happen next, because it does not have a conclusion - it's like in a pretty good review on the other site "it's not like in a hollywood movie where a car hangs over the abyss - actually it's a car, 3 buses and 2 airplanes are hanging there"
great story that leaves two trucks of questions.

I thought it was a good game too. I put it off for a long time because I thought it was a game for girls, but really it's just a fairy tale for everyone.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Otingocni said:
It was an enormous disappointment after TLJ, nonsensical (thank you for introducing faction after faction, explaining nothing about them along the way, that really helps) plot that has you running all over the world, only to see various bland locations and put up with horrible stealth/combat segments. Really, the only thing I can do is pretend it never happened and go back to play TLJ. I dont know what happened, but it is depressing to see Ragnar, who I like quite a bit, ardently defend this piece of shit.

+1

MetalCraze

Arcane
Pussycat669 said:
This thread lacks some negativity.

he is a true american patriot.

spoilers below

so gameplay and xbox'ed graphics aside - people dislike storyline only because it's unfinished and not explains everything? oh come on - when dreamfall was released it wasn't a secret that Ragnar plans to make the next episode.
and what factions aren't explained?
WATIcorp? explained - they want to brainwash people's heads through their new virtual-reality-like entertaining device.
Azadi? explained - religious fanatics who try to force the religion on everyone believing they are doing the right thing - it's not like you don't know how religious fanatics work?
Jiva corp? explained - assisted WATIcorp in the research of that device and making experiments on people
rebels? explained - struggling against the ocupation
even the who-you-thought-was-the-main-villain explained - being the head of WATIcorp with the artificial extension of life he wants to gain power over people's thoughts

the only things that are not explained is the similarity between the emissary and that blonde chick in WATIcorp - and which when you think logically is more than explained - obviously she found a way to travel between the worlds - and probably wants even moar power so that she in fact uses WATIcorp as her puppet - but that will be opened in the next episode - and besides that big worm - Einhana - she obviously brought to WATI - which if you remember - can travel between worlds (hint - the beginning of the game) - she's pretty much the only really unexplained element of the storyline.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
skyway said:
Locue said:
Dear lord in hell, Dreamfall is one of the worst games ever made. The voice acting alone makes me want to drop a nuke on it.

I take it you didn't play too far from the beginning.
I did play right to the end, and I do want to drop a nuke on it and the voice actors. Maybe even two nukes.

yes I also disliked many thing in game at first - at some point I simply turned on SWAT4 and started another cleansing of bad guys. however I decided to go deeper into Dreamfall - and the storyline quickly shadowed all bad things in the game.
Well, good for you then. I found Dreamfall extremely disappointing compared to TLJ. Too linear, idiotic dialogue, crappy VA, minigames... hell no, it just wasn't for me. The adventure genre took another step backwards. I did like the story, just not how it was presented. A shame, really.

Soulforged

Scholar
skyway said:
(...)but man this game was fucking good(...)
This story with a game structure can hardly be called a game, but it did sucked me in though, very well done in general.

MetalCraze

Arcane
well you can switch the game word to the story word.
and besides before I started playing I already knew that as a game Dreamfall sucks balls. I knew that there will be almost no gameplay rather than stupid mini-games and running from point A to point B - but I simply wanted the "game" with a good writing and that's why I tried Dreamfall.

Soulforged

Scholar
skyway said:
well you can switch the game word to the story word.
and besides before I started playing I already knew that as a game Dreamfall sucks balls. I knew that there will be almost no gameplay rather than stupid mini-games and running from point A to point B - but I simply wanted the "game" with a good writing and that's why I tried Dreamfall.
Well partner, then it seems rather ironic that my case was exactly the opposite. Looking for the last iteration of adventure goodness I searched for best adventure game of the year. Let's just say that in the best of cases the reviews were oblivious of the gameplay.

I would call this a very poor game, on the edge of not being one, with an average story, but an story that for all its flaws (which I didn't notice until I read that review posted above a minute before I answered to you in this post) had good pacing and thus kept me hooked.

EDIT: Spelling

Educated
Soulforged said:
"Well partner, then it seems rather ironic that my case was exactly the opposite. Looking for the last iteration of adventure goodness I searched for best adventure game of the year.

Why? When it comes to adventure games only adventure gamers know whats up. Reviewers and major outlets do not. So usually the best adventure games will go ignored by the mainstream and basically fail sales wise. If you want the good stuff you have to actively do some research, check adventuregamers' website, ask other adventure fans who still play them.

The only two adventure series that the mainstream knows wtf about are the Ace Attorney series (though flawed) and Sam & Max episodes. Dreamfall doesn't deserve the massive praise it gets.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Locue said:
I did play right to the end, and I do want to drop a nuke on it and the voice actors. Maybe even two nukes.
you played a game that in your opinion is one of the worst games ever made right to the end, and listened to the terrible voice acting all the time? you're either a masochist, and enjoyed that, meaning the game wasn't that bad for you, or you aren't, and the game really wasn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
SuicideBunny said:
Locue said:
you played a game that in your opinion is one of the worst games ever made right to the end, and listened to the terrible voice acting all the time? you're either a masochist, and enjoyed that, meaning the game wasn't that bad for you, or you aren't, and the game really wasn't as bad as you make it out to be.
Even worse, I got paid to play it.

Soulforged

Scholar
Soulforged said:
"Well partner, then it seems rather ironic that my case was exactly the opposite. Looking for the last iteration of adventure goodness I searched for best adventure game of the year.

Why? When it comes to adventure games only adventure gamers know whats up. Reviewers and major outlets do not. So usually the best adventure games will go ignored by the mainstream and basically fail sales wise. If you want the good stuff you have to actively do some research, check adventuregamers' website, ask other adventure fans who still play them.

The only two adventure series that the mainstream knows wtf about are the Ace Attorney series (though flawed) and Sam & Max episodes. Dreamfall doesn't deserve the massive praise it gets.
Yep, now I know it, but thanks for your advice. :wink:

Draikin

Novice
I loved TLJ, Dreamfall was a bit disapointing. Zoe just isn't as good as April and the game had the worst ending ever (while the Guardian’s Realm in TLJ was one of the best).

Thanks to my TLJ/Dreamfall fansite, I had the chance to have a 30minutes interview with the producer of the game while journalists were waiting outside for a group demo. I also received 3 copies of the game (Xbox/PC from the publisher, collector edition from Funcom).

Educated
I actually liked the main character, my beef isn't with the story or characters at all. They had that down pact. The problems I experienced were with the little to no interaction with the environments and the fact that it had NO puzzles.

There was nothng to do save for one lock "puzzle", avoiding trolls (fucking annoying) and a few other things I've forgotten about. That really bothered me, especially when puzzles were setup (rescue april) and the game tells you step by step how to solve it....I mean what the fuck, am I five years old? Give me something to solve.

Also compare the interaction with Gabriel Knight or Leisure Suit Larry were I can touch, use or examine every nook or cranny. In Dreamfall we are treated to the "use your own eyes" approach. Which frankly, with 3d games, doesn't work because everything looks primitive and boring. Let me examine and touch things and get some feedback. The best parts of the sierra games were hearing the character/narrator talk about things.

Krokar

Scholar
Look for Monty Pythons "comfy chair" reference in The Journey Man Inn ;)

afewhours

Scholar
Dreamfall was horrid. It was like some emo-fangirl took The Longest Journey and wrote a ton of fanfiction for it.

I really enjoyed TLJ, and Dreamfall raped it mercilessly. I've already babbled enough about why it was teh fail. I won't bother doing it again.

mjorkerina

Scholar
I enjoyed TLJ too and feel like Dreamfall is the worst piece of shit that could come and pretend to be the next TLJ. I still fail to consider it as TLJ2 no matter the fact that it has the same writer and characters, it's just not the same.

First as an adventure game it is a complete, utter failure. It never made any use of my brain cells. TLJ was a lot more difficult than Dreamfall and even then TLJ is not considered a difficult adventure game so it makes Dreamfall a "game" for pea brained people. Hellfuck, it has an action that lets you "scan" the area for things that you can interact with you really don't have to be perceptive in any way.

Second, the reason behind the switch to 3D and that scan action and all the dumbing down going on is obvious, it's the same as for Oblivion and all the other sell out : it's a game tailored for console retards. Button pushers do not have any brain cell to speak of. They need games where they can just use directional controls and push buttons without giving much thought about it.

Third, the story is retarded. I do not know how can anyone here can call that shit "a grown up adult story" (duh skyway), it's just your regular conspiracy theory that any nut on www.abovetopsecret.com could have come up with, the conspiracy goes on even in Arcadia to put a fantasy twist on it. Of course if you are a Deus Ex fan you will love that nonsense. And the three main characters are all emo, all of them. They all have some kind of issues and quirks that reeeeeeeks of emo. Where is my regular, totally normal girl, April ? it's a wonder she didn't scare herself with a knife yet. Zoe ? she is a college dropout with no job and who spends most of her time in her basement. She finds herself as the key character in a conspiracy ? w-h-a-t t-h-e h-e-l-l.
Kian Alvane ? a religious dumbass who began to question his beliefs after an argument he had with someone he never has seen before.
And what's up with all those pop culture references ? they are blown out of proportions in Dreamfall. There is nothing wrong with having some but here it's too much and just breaks the fourth wall too often. When I saw that reference to the ring going on until the end of the game it made me feel more like WTF than awesome.

TLJ was one of the greatest adventure game, the last of its era before everything went downhill and the genre has slowly been recovering since. It had great puzzles and a fantastic fantasy story, one that makes you dream and stimulate your imagination to the core. The gorgeous pre-rendered graphics in TLJ added to the lot, the poor RT3d with poor textures of dreamfall makes it even more painful to remember.

The most insulting thing that could have happened has been done too : making episodic content. It was insulting enough to retcon TLJ into a trilogy while the first game was a complete story by itself but it's way more insulting to try to cash on it multiple times. I didn't buy into it with Valve and i'm not going to do it with anything else either. I piss on that new trend.

aries202

Erudite
kerina

I agree pretty much with all of what you just said about Dremfall. I played it on my pc and didn't reallly get the hang of the, imo, very stupid and yes, dumbed down, controls for the Xbox. The control band did not work properly, the wsad controls did not work properly, so I just gave up on the game.

Ragnar Tornquist, the game's creator once said that he believed the classic point and click adventure to be dead. I guess, he didn't see the Sherlock Holmes games or the Agatha Christie games or the recently released traditional point and clæcik games like Scerets of Da vinci - The last Manuscript or the Jack Keane game or the Destination: Treasure Island game coming...

Interestingly, many adventure game lovers at dventure sites like gameboomers, loved Dremfall for its story but didn't think it was that a good game, especially since they never got to use their brain cells to solve puzzles, but felt they were sort of forced to watch an interactive movie with some puzzle thrown in to get story going. They also did not like the game's action & combat sequences or the timed? puzzles or sequences. As I understand from reviews, and from their comments also, the action sequences were also very poorly designed and implemented throughout the game.

Ragnar needs to ask himself why Dreamfall did get on sale 8 months after its initial release in Oct 2006 for only $20 - while TLJ still seems to sell - and then at a similar price (or even higher?) than when it first came out 8 or 9 years ago.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dreamfall actually had a good effect.
After Dreamfall I immediately got TLJ. then I gave Dreamfall to a friend. upon completion he also immediately got TLJ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom